Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Hot, humid, buggy and Bibley. The four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Houston is only hot May-Sept. Current conditions 66.3 F; Clear; 48% Humidity; 0% chance of rain. Sounds real hot doesn't it? Just keep checking the weather through the end of April and see how hot it is! Get your facts straight if your going to talk about a place.

Oppressive Humidity May-Sept.

Buggy no more than California...just different kinds of buggies.

Bibley maybe in Dallas and some smaller towns. You've got your bible loving shouters all over California as well...

Ignorance is the true apocalypse...

Last edited by TVC15; 11-17-2010 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

Houston is only hot May-Sept. Current conditions 66.3 F; Clear; 48% Humidity; 0% chance of rain. Sounds real hot doesn't it? Just keep checking the weather through the end of April and see how hot it is! Get your facts straight if your going to talk about a place.
Leave it to a Texan to not realize I meant the hot seasons. Here's yer

Quote:
Buggy no more than California... just different kinds of buggies.
Speaking of ignorance...

Another

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Hot, humid, buggy and Bibley. The four horsemen of the apocalypse.
to your ignorance indeed

Old 11-18-2010, 07:07 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It may be a much bigger city but its downtown and woefully underwhelming and inadequate compared to SF when it comes to arts, entertainment, public transit, vibrancy, shopping and nightlife.

This is one of the reasons why San Francisco is constantly named among the World's favorite cities by polls and surverys year in, year out-and Dallas is almost never mentioned.

I don't dislke Dallas-in fact it has a ton of things going for it. But as far as Downtowns go, SF is several times better.
Dallas downtown is mostly office buildings and that's not where people go for fun. There are hordes of other areas in the city like Uptown, Turtle creek, Oaklawn, Victory place, Deep Ellum, Knox-Henderson corridor, Greenville Ave, North park and on and on that are loaded with great restaurants and nightlife and those are very vibrant urban areas. Please note that Central Dallas is much bigger than SF in area and things are spread out.

So is there a reason you chose to focus on downtown? FYI, the downtown does have a very large arts district and some nightlife along Main Street and in West End. There are several light rail lines that run through downtown as well as Amtrak/commuter rail and Greyhound! If you go the tunnel that connects the downtown buildings in business hours then you will feel the vibrancy. Well over 100,000 people work downtown and it has a very impressive skyline and notably one of the best freeway infrastructure in the country!

SF financial district is pretty dead at night and weekends. So whats the big deal??

Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Dallas downtown is mostly office buildings and that's not where people go for fun. There are hordes of other areas in the city like Uptown, Turtle creek, Oaklawn, Victory place, Deep Ellum, Knox-Henderson corridor, Greenville Ave, North park and on and on that are loaded with great restaurants and nightlife and those are very vibrant urban areas. Please note that Central Dallas is much bigger than SF in area and things are spread out.

So is there a reason you chose to focus on downtown? FYI, the downtown does have a very large arts district and some nightlife along Main Street and in West End. There are several light rail lines that run through downtown as well as Amtrak/commuter rail and Greyhound! If you go the tunnel that connects the downtown buildings in business hours then you will feel the vibrancy. Well over 100,000 people work downtown and it has a very impressive skyline and notably one of the best freeway infrastructure in the country!

SF financial district is pretty dead at night and weekends. So whats the big deal??
The big deal andy is some Californians like to make Texas out to be a backwoods, miserable, bible thumping bunch of hicks from the sticks population. That we don't have good entertainment or what ever else they dream up or buy into. At least we know the truth andy!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Leave it to a Texan to not realize I meant the hot seasons. Here's yer

Speaking of ignorance...

Another

Leave it to a Californian to not know what he is talking about and then try to make the other person wrong...sorry buddy it was your mistake or ignorance not mine!

Yep speaking if ignorance

Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post

People focus on downtown because the Dallas downtown area is one of the few downtown areas that is pretty much dead after 5pm. There's nothing to do in downtown Dallas, whereas places like NYC, SF, downtown is where it's at. Clubs, restaurants, bars, shops, comedy clubs, theaters', etc are located in downtown areas of these cities.

lol, did you really just mention that forgotten sewer Deep Ellum? Great if you are looking to get mugged. Been down there lately? Pretty dead, not much going on outside of crime and a few people clinging to what it used to be. Deep Ellum was the place to be in the 90's, not any more. I just finished a show at the Hub down there earlier this year. 1 cast member was mugged, 1 had her tires slashed, while the rest of us were solicited repeatedly for sexual favors. All of this despite less than a 5 minute walk to our cars. although I do miss eating at the Angry Dog.

Victory Plaza - fail. Ask anyone around here, a failed venture. Sorry, I don't care for that pretentious club - Ghost Bar. Victory Plaza is bars and restaurants. Much like Uptown.

Oaklawn? Nothing against homosexuals, but unless you are gay, this really isn't a hetero's scene. Nothing but bars and restaurants anyway.

Turtle Creek? Fine dining...is there anything else?

Uptown-bars and restaurants

See a trend?

What is there to do in Dallas? Bars and Restaurants pretty much sums it up. Dallas and Texas apologist continue to make that out to be "lots to do". I've lived here for 15 years. I'm not the only one that complains that there is nothing to do. Not sure why the Texas residents on the internet world loves to pretend there is.

And being spread out is not a good thing. In fact, its one of the things that makes LA such a terrible place to live. Sprawling suburbs...hello Dallas. One thing I love about SF is the ability to get to multiple venues via mass transit, walking or a short drive. Union Square, Chinatown, Fishermans Wharf, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge Park, etc etc etc. Hell, Wine Country is only an hour away. Stinson Beach, Muir Woods, Muir Woods Beach, North Beach, Mountains, skiing just a couple of hours away. The list goes on. Oh, and they have bars and restaurants on every corner too.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco1985 View Post
I'm 25 y/o office worker by day, fine artist by night. I hate texas but I have lived here all my life. I always wanted to move to san fran. I am making under 20k a year in Texas. How can I move to san fran? Anyone from texas moved to cali? What was it like?

If you're from Texas or any other stupid ass state where people marry their cousins CA. doesn't want you. CA is for people aren't still breast feeding at 25

Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,527 times
Quote:

Oppressive Humidity May-Sept.

Buggy no more than California...just different kinds of buggies.

Bibley maybe in Dallas and some smaller towns. You've got your bible loving shouters all over California as well...

Ignorance is the true apocalypse...
You're either one of those morons that went to Arizona or your an outsider who doesn't know what you're talking about. California is the greatest place in the world. It's not a place where cowboy are wanted. We're educated out here.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleintexassuck View Post
You're either one of those morons that went to Arizona or your an outsider who doesn't know what you're talking about. California is the greatest place in the world. It's not a place where cowboy are wanted. We're educated out here.
Nice try with a new screen name Obviously you are not educated in the least

Damn I have seen it all on this forum...dumb and dumber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland