Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Tell me about it. Hip-Hop was started by American Blacks and in the US is still produced predominantly by blacks but an overwhelming majority of listeners are white.
Saying that hip-hop is predominantly black in the 21st century is like saying that rock was predominantly black in 1964.

Both hip hop and rock were originated by African-Americans and originally overwhelmingly produced by African Americans but became popular across racial and ethnic lines to the point that they no longer belong to any group.

If anything hip hop today, in the post-gangsta age, is closer to the hair metal of the 1980s - it's all about getting laid, and hip hop videos look a great deal like hair metal videos - the only difference is that the scantily clad females are a little darker-skinned than those who used to be in the videos of Poison et al.

IMO all American created popular musical traditions have roots in the black church but that's a topic for a different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 04:19 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Tell me about it. Hip-Hop was started by American Blacks and in the US is still produced predominantly by blacks but an overwhelming majority of listeners are white.
Not only that, the first rap music wasn't even about glorifying killing, drugs, and sex. It was a social consciousness movement. It was music founded as a response to the "urban renewal" of the 1960's that was affecting many low income African-American residents, not to mention other issues ranging from police brutality to other dysfunctions. When the love of money(not money itself) got involved, then hip-hop started getting some questionable things. It became all about the money, and that is where many of those horrible songs came out. If anything, it isn't so much hip-hop, but the MESSAGE coming from many of these songs. If it was someone like Kirk Franklin or Reverend Run, few people would listen to them compared to someone like Li'l Wayne or T.I. Granted, the message coming from Kirk Franklin and Reverend Run is much better, that isn't what sells. Their message is something that everyone can benefit from and would be helpful. Unfortunately, songs glorifying violence and other horrible things are what sell.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Saying that hip-hop is predominantly black in the 21st century is like saying that rock was predominantly black in 1964.

Both hip hop and rock were originated by African-Americans and originally overwhelmingly produced by African Americans but became popular across racial and ethnic lines to the point that they no longer belong to any group.

If anything hip hop today, in the post-gangsta age, is closer to the hair metal of the 1980s - it's all about getting laid, and hip hop videos look a great deal like hair metal videos - the only difference is that the scantily clad females are a little darker-skinned than those who used to be in the videos of Poison et al.

IMO all American created popular musical traditions have roots in the black church but that's a topic for a different thread.
I'd have to agree with you actually.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not only that, the first rap music wasn't even about glorifying killing, drugs, and sex. It was a social consciousness movement. It was music founded as a response to the "urban renewal" of the 1960's that was affecting many low income African-American residents, not to mention other issues ranging from police brutality to other dysfunctions. When the love of money(not money itself) got involved, then hip-hop started getting some questionable things. It became all about the money, and that is where many of those horrible songs came out. If anything, it isn't so much hip-hop, but the MESSAGE coming from many of these songs. If it was someone like Kirk Franklin or Reverend Run, few people would listen to them compared to someone like Li'l Wayne or T.I. Granted, the message coming from Kirk Franklin and Reverend Run is much better, that isn't what sells. Their message is something that everyone can benefit from and would be helpful. Unfortunately, songs glorifying violence and other horrible things are what sell.
Gotta agree here too. This is why I will never be a big selling artist myself. If I can sell a little, I'll be fine. I refuse to lower my music to those levels and I wish more would do the same.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
.... You quoted a comedian?

And you tell others that they don't have the info to back their points?

.... You quoted a comedian?

GTFO
Although he was more blunt about it, Chris Rock said the same things in his comedy routine as Larry Elder & Bill Cosby.

I noticed quite a few black people in the audience were laughing. They know there's some truth to what he's saying. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been funny.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Sure its economics, but who is affected most by it? Why are revenues dropping and persons who had little to with it are suffering?
Everyone is affected in some way. One could make the argument that those with less economic vitality suffer the "most", but it's hard to quantify suffering because it's part perception.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
So basically what you're saying is, you don't have any stats to depute the ones you say are wrong?
I'm saying that metrics that track sales by ethnicity are very hard to come by. So making any claim based on an uncited article is dubious at best.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Although he was more blunt about it, Chris Rock said the same things in his comedy routine as Larry Elder & Bill Cosby.

I noticed quite a few black people in the audience were laughing. They know there's some truth to what he's saying. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been funny.
Exactly my point. If the humor had no inkling of truth, no one would have laughed.

That's why I respect Chris Rock, he's all about taking ownership rather than passing the buck. Chris Rock didn't get rich by blaming white people for everything bad that happens to blacks.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Everyone is affected in some way. One could make the argument that those with less economic vitality suffer the "most", but it's hard to quantify suffering because it's part perception.
Maybe it is hard, but why do revenues dry up in many cities? Why are the schools taking the hardest hits?
Another question is: Why does it always have to be that the poorest persons get the worst schools? Why should that be?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Gotta agree here too. This is why I will never be a big selling artist myself. If I can sell a little, I'll be fine. I refuse to lower my music to those levels and I wish more would do the same.
The fact that one has to "lower" their standards to make a buck shows how sad things have gotten. Maybe that is the same situation with crime. If a person is willing to do something heinous to make a buck(or at the least, survive), there are many things going wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland