Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:58 PM

33 posts, read 54,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
The more people we can get behind this, the better.

Absolutely. There's power in numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 05:58 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Question for Old Man Winter...pawn shops are required to document each item they take in. Would it be feasible to require (by law) recyclers to only receive a/c parts like these from licensed businesses and to document each purchase? Can these coils be serialized as they are manufactured so they can be identified when reported as stolen and traced by police? Maybe it's time for the manufacturers to step up.

In my other life, I ran a photographic equipment business and we dealt with both new and used items. We fell under the pawn shop laws and had to document everything we took in. We prided ourselves in catching a number of thieves who brought us items we thought to be suspicious.
Last I knew the coils have no serial numbers, would it matter, no. 1 condenser coil is not worth the effort to turn in for scrap, after the copper tubes are cut out and separated from the aluminum the return is minimal at best as the amount of copper and aluminum is so small.

The thieves stock pile this stuff until they have enough quantity to make for a decent payday. then they bring it in by the truckload. As the aluminum sits in a yard exposed to the elements its color and condition change quickly, it wont look so new in a few months and when they go to the yard to recycle it, it has all been cut down to separate the different metals and it has all aged and been beat up. They guys at the yard dont know how old it is, for all they know the guy dropping it off gets it from an AC contractor for free just to get it off the property.

One thing the OP needs to look for is oil, were the lines cut clean with a tubing cutter or hacked with tin snips? Is there oil in quantity in the area where the lines were cut or off to the side somewhere? Is there no trace of oil? Proper tools would indicate an AC mechanic or someone who recycles for a living, they have know how. A meth head with no knowledge most likely will just cut the lines to dump the charge, this will cause alot of oil most of the time and would be very loud.

If the lines are cut clean and there is no trace oil, I would say the valves were closed prior to it being stolen, only AC mechanics and guys in the field have those valve wrenches. But I guarantee I could tell if it was someone in the business that took it just by looking at it, even in a hurry they would make sure it was contained, quiet and quickly removed. They wouldnt leave the mess that a meth junkie or crackhead would.

Just my 2 cents worth

I edited to add, with my experience I could remove a condenser from a house in less than 2 minutes, I could make it look like I was supposed to be there working on it and it would be fast with no trace. It may very well be someone in the business, wouldnt surprise me at all. I will bet that system was pumped down by holding in the contactor, this would leave no sign of oil and is done quickly. Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Last I knew the coils have no serial numbers, would it matter, no. 1 condenser coil is not worth the effort to turn in for scrap, after the copper tubes are cut out and separated from the aluminum the return is minimal at best as the amount of copper and aluminum is so small.

The thieves stock pile this stuff until they have enough quantity to make for a decent payday. then they bring it in by the truckload. As the aluminum sits in a yard exposed to the elements its color and condition change quickly, it wont look so new in a few months and when they go to the yard to recycle it, it has all been cut down to separate the different metals and it has all aged and been beat up. They guys at the yard dont know how old it is, for all they know the guy dropping it off gets it from an AC contractor for free just to get it off the property.

One thing the OP needs to look for is oil, were the lines cut clean with a tubing cutter or hacked with tin snips? Is there oil in quantity in the area where the lines were cut or off to the side somewhere? Is there no trace of oil? Proper tools would indicate an AC mechanic or someone who recycles for a living, they have know how. A meth head with no knowledge most likely will just cut the lines to dump the charge, this will cause alot of oil most of the time and would be very loud.

If the lines are cut clean and there is no trace oil, I would say the valves were closed prior to it being stolen, only AC mechanics and guys in the field have those valve wrenches. But I guarantee I could tell if it was someone in the business that took it just by looking at it, even in a hurry they would make sure it was contained, quiet and quickly removed. They wouldnt leave the mess that a meth junkie or crackhead would.

Just my 2 cents worth

I edited to add, with my experience I could remove a condenser from a house in less than 2 minutes, I could make it look like I was supposed to be there working on it and it would be fast with no trace. It may very well be someone in the business, wouldnt surprise me at all. I will bet that system was pumped down by holding in the contactor, this would leave no sign of oil and is done quickly. Just a thought.
Interesting info OMW! One of my suspicions is that it might be someone in the business.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 PM

You guys need to understand the space it takes to stock pile this stuff after it is separated into metal types. I knew alot of guys that did it for a living, they all owned acres of land that was fenced in. 55 gallon drums full of copper tubes cut from the end of the coils and piles of aluminum coils that reach 10 feet high and enough to fill a very large truck. That is the only way the money is worth it in materials. I doubt it is someone living locally and doubt they recycle 1 unit at a time, it wouldnt be worth the effort and time.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Ram3500 View Post
We do have a security company monitoring our house and they have told us there have been many inquiries made about AC protection but have nothing to monitor an AC heat pump specifically at this time.

Frank
any alarm installer worth their salt could set up an alarm zone to include the A/C, possibly even using a pair of unused wires for the thermostat. they just need to wire it to the alarm controller as a set of normally closed contacts and when the wire is cut...alarm! the system would need to be monitored to call authorities and I'd also add a siren/strobe above the unit.
adding lights just helps the crooks see what they're doing...

Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
So, it wouldn't be a druggie since a druggie would most likely look for something that would quickly transfer to money and then to a drug buy. I didn't realize how much material it would take to make it worthwhile. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 PM

If it is someone in the business they are not scrapping the metal. They are selling the unit or installing them for cash side work. Hey Mrs Smith I can replace that for you Saturday with a used unit thats only 6 months old, 400 cash...... sure beats paying full price and it can be installed saturday what a deal.....

Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
any alarm installer worth their salt could set up an alarm zone to include the A/C, possibly even using a pair of unused wires for the thermostat. they just need to wire it to the alarm controller as a set of normally closed contacts and when the wire is cut...alarm! the system would need to be monitored to call authorities and I'd also add a siren/strobe above the unit.
adding lights just helps the crooks see what they're doing...

I still think if you had a home alarm there would be a way to use a normal wireless window sensor. Just put it inside the access door where it would break contact if the door was opened. If it was part of the home security system a siren would sound and the signal would be sent to the monitoring company. You could place a sticker on the unit, as you would your windows and doors.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
My wife and I purchased a vacation home in April last year and we just had our A/C stolen for the second time . The first time it was stolen it cost us $4800 to replace the entire system as per Florida code and this second time will cost us $1900 only because the A/C installer found a heat pump that matches our previous one. We cant afford to keep replacing our AC and will be forced to sell our house if it happens again.
Doesn't your insurance cover the loss? In whole or in part? Unless you have watchful neighbors all around you home while you are gone, there is no way to stop thieves from taking advantage of you. Even if they can be seen from the road, who's out there at 3 or 4 AM to stop them, if they notice them at all?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
The people who are installing our new pump told us they can install a siren that will sound if power to the heat pump is cut or if there is a freon pressure drop. The issue I have with this is that once the alarm sounds,the damage is already done. I want to try and prevent it all together.

Frank
Have you considered a motion-camera that turns on bright lights and a siren when someone or something gets close to the A/C? You can be sure the theives wont hang around long when well lit and a shrill sound wakes the dead up to half a mile away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area