Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:15 AM

213 posts, read 576,169 times

Advertisements

I had never heard of The Landings so I went and looked it up. I think I might have even seen the listing of the house you might be talking about - giant round fireplace in the middle of the family room? I would hate it too. :-( That house (if I'm right) needs $100,000+ of renovation - basically gut the place - starting with removing that stupid fireplace! lol Even then, the layout is strange.

Anyway, I don't know much about that area - I haven't been down there except for maybe going to a mall.
I do know I originally thought I wanted us to buy in Lakewood Ranch when I was house shopping online only, but once I got down here I realized it really was not so great after all. (for us)

We've bought houses like this before however - he takes an out of state position and moves - searches for houses locally while I search online and take care of packing and selling the other house. It's worked for us - he takes video too and posts on You Tube - it really helps. We both pretty much agree on things we like however and it sound like you two might quite not meet on some things. That could make it harder. You might have to break down and fly out for a week to drive around and get a feel for the area. You might also have to limit searches to exclude certain types of houses. Anything tract-like built in the 70-80s is going to be horrible unless it's been completely redone. IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,278 times
While I enjoy your style and even your flair for the dramatic, I must say, in my world it seems very odd that you are even bothering to post this, because your first post seems definitive in that there is NO WAY it would be even remotely reasonable for anyone to try to talk you into this house.

If I were to see a house I loved and my wife were to react as you are, I would immediately forget all about it, just on the chance you would be miserable in it, which would of course make me miserable as well.

Good luck.

P.S. Want to buy a four-level 130-yr old house in the best neighborhood in Baltimore? It has 13 foot high ceilings, and a 12 foot high mirror that was in the room when Francis Scott Key died. You'll love it.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,680,445 times
We have several friends that live in the Landings & I find the neighborhood quite peaceful & pretty when visiting. It is very centrally located. Yes, there are many homes built in 80's when the neighborhood was early established & even though we may cringe to look at that style now, it was a perfect design at the time- so I don't get the need to feel shocked at how homes look inside (other than the fact the owners probably should have updated before now..) It's kind of the way I look back at my teased bangs & peg rolled stonewashed jeans! ((Cringe)) but hey, it was super cool at the time...

Many times, you have to look beyond the house & concentrate on the area/amenities around it, that is, if you have the $ to renovate. I'd rather spend my money on a fixer upper in a good area versus a perfect new home in a bad area...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,107,647 times
Californianz

You nailed it. That is the house. Hubby has cooled his jets a little because he overhead me telling my friend it would cost $300,000 thousand and 4 years to remodel that house. He knew it would be expensive but didn't realize how expensive.

I initially had the same reaction to the layout, but have figured out how a few well placed walls around the sunken living room would fix the feng shui. I was initially interested the "Austin House" and it had a ballroom and have become smitten with the idea of a ballroom. That sunken living room would make a great ballroom

I appreciate it that you get our process. I generally pick the neighborhood and the finalist houses and he selects between the finalists. He choice is usually my second choice but he ends up being right in the long run. We are both going next week for a look-see at the neighborhoods south of downtown.

Rushmore

The sad thing is I would consider that house. It took me many hours of studying the pictures, pondering what is wrong with the house and what it would take to fix it, but I could make the inside very cool, with enough money. Hubby has to decide what he is willing to pay to be super close to the water. And he has to decide if he is willing to pay high hurricane insurance which according to an article I read, may increase steeply after Katrina and Sandy.

The houses in the neighborhood look ok. It is not like I would have to shield my eyes on a drive home. And I could see an advantage to living in a gated community since we are likely to be out of town a couple of months every year. Also there might not be the exodus of people in the summer from that community--more of a neighborhood community feel.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
We have several friends that live in the Landings & I find the neighborhood quite peaceful & pretty when visiting. It is very centrally located. Yes, there are many homes built in 80's when the neighborhood was early established & even though we may cringe to look at that style now, it was a perfect design at the time- so I don't get the need to feel shocked at how homes look inside (other than the fact the owners probably should have updated before now..) It's kind of the way I look back at my teased bangs & peg rolled stonewashed jeans! ((Cringe)) but hey, it was super cool at the time...

Many times, you have to look beyond the house & concentrate on the area/amenities around it, that is, if you have the $ to renovate. I'd rather spend my money on a fixer upper in a good area versus a perfect new home in a bad area...
PixiStix

Here in CA mid century modern is all the rage. I am not a fan of anything but very traditional or funky historic, but I recognize that 1980s style could be the next mid century modern.

I like fixing up houses. I get to pick the cabinets, granite, floors. Instead of living with someone's elses ok choices, I get to put in what I consider to be fabulous. That is why I am asking questions about the neighborhood.

thanks for your perspective. It is the kind of balance I was hoping to get from this thread.

Rushmore

That house in Baltimore sounds fabulous. How is the beach?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Rushmore

That house in Baltimore sounds fabulous. How is the beach?
If it helps me sell you the house...

....the beach is MAGNIFICENT!!!!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 PM

I think Hubby is just scared of moving without a specific place to land. I am in favor of renting until the right house comes along.

It has also dawned on Hubby that if we were going to spend $500,000 for that house and put $300,000 in remodel costs (not to mention 4 years of eating dust) we would just be better off buying an $800,000 house that was done the way we want and not in a flood zone A.

I showed him one that would work for me (a newer traditional) and it has just become his new IT house. He is not so smitten with the new IT house, but he really hates eating plaster dust. And this other house checks all his boxes except a stroll to the water that is measured in feet, not blocks.

I think I am safe from trying to make the monstrosity work. Everyone's comments have helped because it provided a way for Hubby and I to continue to talk about the property in an open way. We are still going to go see the monstrosity house, but I will be really shocked if he still wants it.

House hunting is sort of like speed dating. Big crush...Realize the psycho features.... Break up....Continue search.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,001,781 times
Are there ANY houses where you can walk to the water that aren't in an A zone? What kind of water are we talking about? I'm glad your hubby moved away from that house- I found it too, and you're right- it needs a ton of time and work! However, the neighborhood does look nice. Lots of trees!

Last edited by coastal chic; 06-17-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 PM

Ok. Now that I am no longer in danger of living here, I want to share, just in case there is someone who left their heart in the 1980s.
Attached Thumbnails
The Landings?  Hubby has fallen in love with a place that makes me cry-fp.jpg   The Landings?  Hubby has fallen in love with a place that makes me cry-k.jpg  

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Ok. Now that I am no longer in danger of living here, I want to share, just in case there is someone who left their heart in the 1980s.
LOL - wow - that would really take a LOT of $$$ - and in the end you would have an over-remodeled 80s house! Glad you are talking him out of it.

Since nothing is a done deal for you yet, I just wanted to say that if you decide on an older home, the neighborhoods I would recommend to you would be those south of downtown, west of Trail, north of Bay Road. These include Southside Village area (near Hillview) Harbor Acres, Cherokee Park, McClellan Park - also just a little further south is Oyster Bay. I have no idea what the price range is, they are very desirable and higher-priced neighborhoods, close to everything in Sarasota, and with a historic feel. Some homes are new homes that were rebuilt when people bought a small older home for the location and built new, or substantially added on. It would be worth your while to check these out; they are all close to the water, and extremely beautiful.

It will definitely be better when you are both here in person to check out the area you want - remember, my husband always says that ANY house can be changed, but you can't do a thing about the location, location, location. So be sure you get the location you want. Even that 1980s house can be remodeled - it all comes down to what you want to spend (although in that case, I don't really recommend it, LOL)

ETA: You might also look into Indian Beach and Sapphire Shores - two beautiful historic waterfront neighborhoods that are west of Trail, north of downtown near the museums, etc. I love those neighborhoods!

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area