Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,107,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Take it from a gypsy - this house is NOT for you!
You are correct...but I have a syndrome in need of a name. It probably should be called " troubled house syndrome." One of my best friends pointed it out to me. She correctly observed that while neither she or I married bad boys who treat us badly, we do both have an affinity for houses that are trouble. Here is a quote from her:

"We haven't chosen wife-beater-bad-boys for husbands, but we always seem to be looking for trouble in the residential department. Like the woman who dates the guy who is out on parole for the third time, we think we can change them.

We see water damage, peeling paint, old plumbing and the out-of-code electrial work as minor inconveniences. Old nasty wallpaper? We laugh at it. Kitchen from 1926? True Vintage!! Windows painted shut? What do you think putty knives and heat guns are for?!! LOL... "

I THINK I CAN CHANGE THIS HOUSE. QUICK--SOMEONE SEND ME TO THERAPY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
You are correct...but I have a syndrome in need of a name. It probably should be called " troubled house syndrome." One of my best friends pointed it out to me. She correctly observed that while neither she or I married bad boys who treat us badly, we do both have an affinity for houses that are trouble. Here is a quote from her:

"We haven't chosen wife-beater-bad-boys for husbands, but we always seem to be looking for trouble in the residential department. Like the woman who dates the guy who is out on parole for the third time, we think we can change them.

We see water damage, peeling paint, old plumbing and the out-of-code electrial work as minor inconveniences. Old nasty wallpaper? We laugh at it. Kitchen from 1926? True Vintage!! Windows painted shut? What do you think putty knives and heat guns are for?!! LOL... "

I THINK I CAN CHANGE THIS HOUSE. QUICK--SOMEONE SEND ME TO THERAPY
No need for therapy. Just step closer ... right over here ....

SMACK.

There, feel better?

(I hear ya. I'm currently doing an expensive reno on my 1940s charmer because it's unsellable in this day and age of HGTV ... and I won't even enjoy it before I move ... and even though I SWORE I would not buy a fixer in FL, once in awhile I catch myself starting to daydream over one on Trulia or something. Then I smack MYSELF and click away as fast as I can.)

Old 06-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
No need for therapy. Just step closer ... right over here ....

SMACK.

There, feel better?

Thanks. I needed that.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:18 AM

213 posts, read 576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
OMG !!! It just keeps getting better and better.

Found out the roof on the monstrosity house has been leaking, it is damp inside, the pool leaks, and the air conditioning needs to be replaced!!!! And the homeowners association insists on cedar shake or manufactured shake shingles. The owners should pay someone to take it off their hands.

If anyone needs an appraiser who gives high values, direct message me. The appraiser used properties as comps that don't need updating or structural repairs and makes no value adjustment in value for the condition of this place.
So you're still going forward on this house? (Appraisals being done?)
I thought you said you were "safe from trying to make the monstrosity work"...
Part of what makes it hideous is the clutter and decor FWIW.

Anyway, appraisers look at square footage and improvements for comps and wouldn't deduct anything for items that need updating or repair unless it's really bad - like falling down bad. The bad news about this is - if you put $100K of renovations into it, it won't appraise for an extra $100K more afterwards - not even close - so it's sometimes better to pay more for one that has major improvements already done.

MOLD - if you're going to look an anything that is leaking - get tests! Mold is a big issue down here and it is crazy expensive to remediate.

On the other hand - location, location, location. If it's a prime neighborhood, where you want to live, and you're going to get it substantially under the market price - sometimes buying the "fixer" is the most affordable way to get into an otherwise expensive area. But arguably, there are MANY nice areas usually proximate (5-10 minutes drive difference).

For instance - I like where we are buying our house - but would be equally as happy in any one of MANY other possible areas around where it is.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,656,144 times
1460 Peregrine Point, Sarasota, FL 34231 (MLS # A3976408) - Sarasota Real Estate | Sarasota Homes - This home, right? For what they're charging, it's not worth it.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times
Everyone tell me not to buy a house made of wood in Florida. Isnt that house wood?

Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Everyone tell me not to buy a house made of wood in Florida. Isnt that house wood?

Good point...the listing says Exterior Construction is Siding/Wood Frame.

I would never consider this in Florida. Insurance is supposed to be higher for wood frame. Anyone buying/shopping should get a quote on the exact home with wood frame construction versus if it was concrete block..as part of making their home buying decision. Termites are bad in Florida and this is the main reason I wouldn't get wood frame.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 PM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Good point...the listing says Exterior Construction is Siding/Wood Frame.

I would never consider this in Florida. Insurance is supposed to be higher for wood frame. Anyone buying/shopping should get a quote on the exact home with wood frame construction versus if it was concrete block..as part of making their home buying decision. Termites are bad in Florida and this is the main reason I wouldn't get wood frame.
That's right. And especially 1980's wood-frame construction. Insurance will be VERY high for such a house.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianz View Post
So you're still going forward on this house? (Appraisals being done?)
I thought you said you were "safe from trying to make the monstrosity work"...
Part of what makes it hideous is the clutter and decor FWIW.
That house is on the market because both of its original owners are now dead. It is in the estate of the last to die. The executor of the estate had it appraised and inspected. Not us. I suspect the reason piles of clothes are sitting around is probably the heirs were emptying out the closets.

Re the decor, that was probably the height of fashion in the late 80s when they purchased the house. Some of the furniture is actually pretty cool, like the dinning room set. I rather imagine them to have been world travelers in their younger days. I also imagine them to have gotten rather infirm to allow that house to deteriorate like they did.

Hubby & I arrived in Sarasota today to look at properties. During the late afternoon downpour I thought of that house. I just can't imagine what the attic must be like if the roof is leaking.

Hubby made an appointment in advance to go see it. As much as I am curious, I will probably pass as I have some work I need to do tomorrow.

And yes, I am still safe. We stopped at an open house today and hubby was smitten (and this house does not need any work). And we saw a guy carting a kayak down the street on a cart which reaffirmed Hubby's belief that he doesn't need to be so close to the water to get access.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 AM

Wanted to give a closing update to this thread. I am partly doing this in case someone in the future is interested in the Landings and partly just to share some interesting things.

We did go see the house, more out of curiosity, because we had nixed it after learning it needed a new roof.

The trees in the Landings are spectacular. There was a banyon tree that must of been 30 feet in diameter. The homes in the home section (not condo section) did not look dated at all on the outside. They were estate sized homes and very impressive.

The club house was nice. The community pool was great and is heated in the winter and cooled in the summer to keep it 84 degrees. The tennis courts have a clay surface. The old women playing cards freaked us out a bit.

The nature trails were wide and manicured. We saw lots of large water fowl and one huge fish as we crossed a little bridge. The realtor described the Landings as a place where most of the people paid cash to buy back when and where they take their trees and their nature very seriously.

However we found the water access to be too limited. From our point of view, that house (flaws aside) had all the disadvantages of being close to the water and non of the advantages.

The house was interesting. It seems like real estate pictures are taken with cameras that make the far point of the picture look further away. That type of lens makes rooms look bigger. The effect is good on smaller rooms, but it makes big rooms look like barns. In real life the rooms and layout were more pleasant than in the pictures but also more cluttered.

The most interesting things about the house were the pictures of the former owners. They were incredibly beautiful people. She was a starlet in 26 movies. He was 6'6'' and had not an once of fat on him. It was sad to think of their decline.

The house also had a propane generator that would run the whole place in emergency. It was a car engine, carburetor and all, converted to propane. It was pretty interesting.

I said it would take $300,000 to remodel. The realtor said CA prices are higher than FL and it would take $125,000 to remodel. Not sure if his number includes the $28,000 for the new roof. The leak is new and there is no mold yet.

They have had lots of traffic on the house and it was in escrow at list minus adjustment for roof cost. The people backed out. I am sure someone with troubled house syndrome will buy it and give it lots of love.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area