Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 04:32 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
You wouldn't put a Quantum computer in your pc or cellphone.
I did read something about quantum computers made with carbon nanotubes, however, I do not know what that is or how it will work.

That being said I am getting the impression that quantum computers will not be used for the things you posted about. So it looks like Moore's law for things like cell phones and PC and other wearable computers plus ones we merge with then quantum computers to answer some of the really difficult questions. Both of them working together will make the 2020's a far more advanced decade then even I thought possible. That says a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I saw this. Not sure what to make of it lol

Old 04-09-2014, 07:11 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
You wouldn't put a Quantum computer in your pc or cellphone.
He said it was the next stage in computer programming and if I'm not mistaken the new has always replaced the old; he made it sound like it was going to replace computer chips and transistors.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
He said it was the next stage in computer programming and if I'm not mistaken the new has always replaced the old; he made it sound like it was going to replace computer chips and transistors.
I am still learning about quantum computers and the impact they will have on society. What I learned last night put them in a whole new light for me and I admit I need to learn about them a lot more.

As I posted I am with quantum computers today as I was with the singularity in 2008. I know enough to say yes it makes sense but need to learn more about the specifics as to why and how.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
That is interesting, on NASA website they did mention this:

"As such, quantum computers may theoretically be able to solve certain problems in a few days that would take millions of years on a classical compute"

Although, I was a bit confused with their prototype quantum computer processor it seems that it must be kept at a temperature that's near -459 F does that mean they have serious heating issues?
The reason for extremely cold temps is to reduce errors. Quantum computers are currently just in a stage of infancy.
Quantum decoherence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Qubits are very fragile and to be accurate they require ultra-low temperatures, radio shielding, magnetic shielding a separate Faraday Cage and closed cycle cryogenic cooling to constantly maintain their temperature. In order to keep errors to a minimum, the central processor must stay at absolute zero with little or preferably no outside interference."
What Is Quantum Computer?

That said, there has been some development of experimental devices that work at room temperature. That would be much more ideal because trying to maintain temps that are near absolute zero requires some hefty and expensive refrigeration space. The room-temp device efforts are far from anything useful, and don't hold information very long, but it looks like it could be a step toward possibly developing room-temp quantum computers.
Quantum state endures for 39 minutes at room temperature - physicsworld.com

Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Quantum Computers will replace todays super computers. They will be able to create an model of the whole universe down to single particles. There are alot of better things or consumer goods like nanotubes and 3D chips,Graphene,DNA and optical computing. Although you could shrink a Q-computer down which would put enormous power in everyday people hands.

Last edited by Michigantown; 04-10-2014 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I saw this. Not sure what to make of it lol
THey will be putting these things in humans once they figure out how to get past the immune system. ONce than happens bye bye cancer.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 AM

^

All that is very impressive to say the least and why I am excited about the 2020's. If not sooner as I have read by 2017 quantum computers will begin its new era.

As I was reading this I got this news on my Facebook feed about reverse aging. Now I had heard this would happen by 2023 well it looks like again I was pessimistic, by 8 years.

This is from the Guardian:

Australian and US researchers hope an anti-ageing compound could be trialled on humans as early as next year, following a key breakthrough that saw the ageing process reversed in mice.

The study, involving Harvard University and the University of NSW, discovered a way of restoring the efficiency of cells, completely reversing the ageing process in muscles.

Two-year-old mice were given a compound over a week, moving back the key indicators of ageing to that of a six-month-old mouse. Researchers said this was the equivalent of making a 60-year-old person feel like a 20-year-old.

The link: Anti-ageing compound set for human trials after turning clock back for mice | Science | theguardian.com

Old 04-10-2014, 03:48 PM

This is a interesting interview with D-Wave on Quantum computers.

D-Wave Aims to Bring Quantum Computing to the Cloud - IEEE Spectrum

Old 04-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Looks like things are going faster then I have thought.

This is from CNN:

Forget wearable tech, embeddable implants are already here

The link: Forget wearable tech, embeddable implants are already here - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology