Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 04:02 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
This quote from that article scares me more than anything:
I can understand why this would scare people. Why I study it so much so I can be as prepared as possible because like it or not it will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Without jobs, the economy will collapse. With no means to be able to pay for anything, all of this tech will be moot, as very few will be able to take advantage of it. I just hope the pace of development slows dramatically, like past the mid 2050's (estimated time of my passing) so I don't have to witness the meltdown of our society, which WILL happen once we reach this so-called "singularity."

Hopefully I'll have a couple more decades of being able to enjoy nature and human interaction before the Borg takes over...lol.
The entire nature of the economy is going to change by the singularity its just no one knows exactly how. I have seen some good theories on how but they are just theories. I am even leaning towards something called basic pay for all and it could be paid for in part by taxing the robots since they are taking peoples jobs. The question I have is how to do you have that and still have a incentive for people to work? I do not know the answer.

Some things we do know:

1) By 2035 because of solar energy production will be nearly free and that will impact everything as the cost to produce energy has a major impact on every sector of the economy.

2) If we want to keep up with AI we will have to merge with computers by 2030 or they will leave us behind. However we will be nothing like the Borg. I mean the Borg was/ is fun to watch but in real life it will mean a explosion of art, science, music, engineering as well as intelligence.

3) 3D printers and within 20 years Star Trek style replicators will change how we manufacture everything.

4) Advances in biology, genetics, nano technology and 3D printers will completely transform the medical industry in the next 20 years. Allowing us to live much longer then we do today and in much better health.

I know how this sounds and I know people from the 1950's and 1960's and earlier tried to make predictions about the future and they were well kind of different but that was because they did not know how information technology advanced. Now we do know and have over 110 years of data to back it up and what people see coming is fantastic and while will have to get ready for the changes that we will see, more then anytime in history, my personal opinion is that life after the singularity will be much better then now. Much like life today compared to the dark ages, while more complex, is much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 04:42 PM

While I do not think we will be anything like the Borg there is much that we can learn from Star Trek. One of them was a trial they had for Data on rather he had a consciousness or not and I think they really hit the issue on the head. That will be something that society will deal with, not in the 23rd century but in 15-20 years.

This is the clip I am referring to:

Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
While I do not think we will be anything like the Borg there is much that we can learn from Star Trek. One of them was a trial they had for Data on rather he had a consciousness or not and I think they really hit the issue on the head. That will be something that society will deal with, not in the 23rd century but in 15-20 years.

This is the clip I am referring to:
Asimov started writing about sentient robots in 1950, nothing new, startling or Earth shattering about the STNG episode... (Although the STNG episode did have a hollowdeck)...

Isaac Asimov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-17-2014, 02:08 PM

I always post about how we have computers that can theoretically simulate the human brain. Well now its out of the theoretical world and into the real. This is in 2014 with how computers will continue to advance exponentially by 2019 a computers that costs 1,000 dollars should be able to simulate the human brain.

This is from Extreme Tech:

The brain is a deviously complex biological computing device that even the fastest supercomputers in the world fail to emulate. Well, that’s not entirely true anymore. Researchers at the Okinawa Institute of Technology Graduate University in Japan and Forschungszentrum Jülich in Germany have managed to simulate a single second of human brain activity in a very, very powerful computer.

The link: Simulating 1 second of human brain activity takes 82,944 processors | ExtremeTech

Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 PM

This is a interesting development and will help change things in the next 10 years. Remember I have posted we will see more changes in the next 10 years then we saw since 1980.....

This is from the Guardian:

Researchers have worked out how to make matter from pure light and are drawing up plans to demonstrate the feat within the next 12 months.

The theory underpinning the idea was first described 80 years ago by two physicists who later worked on the first atomic bomb. At the time they considered the conversion of light into matter impossible in a laboratory.

But in a report published on Sunday, physicists at Imperial College London claim to have cracked the problem using high-powered lasers and other equipment now available to scientists.

The link: Matter will be created from light within a year, claim scientists | Science | The Guardian

Old 05-19-2014, 06:21 PM

I happen to come across as since this will happen by the 2030's and change life completely I decided to post it. Keep in mind that is only 16 years away and will actually start on a small scale in the late 2020's.

This is from Institute Ethics and Emerging Technologies:

"You enter the wellness center and tell the receptionist avatar that you're here for an annual restoration, and though your real age is 110, you would like to be restored to the age of a 20-something. A nurse then injects billions of genome-specific 'bots non-invasively through the skin; you're now set for another year." The above scenario may sound like something out of a sci-fi tale, but experts predict nanorobotics will one day turn this fantasy into reality. Nanotech pioneer Robert Freitas believes that as the technology matures, every adult's appearance could be restored once a year to a biological age chosen by the individual. Freitas and futurist Ray Kurzweil discuss this wonder-science in a recent interview.

The link: Your nanorobotics future: life truly becomes ‘magical’

Old 05-20-2014, 09:56 AM

People in the past have asked how we will power the nano bots. Well here is one possibility.

This is from Science Daily:

Researchers have invented a way to wirelessly beam power to programmable devices deep inside the body. These medical chips could be as small as a grain of rice. They would sit alongside nerves, muscles and other tissues. The chips could be programmed for a wide variety of medical tasks. The wireless power recharging would enable them to be implanted once and repowered as need be. This is a platform technology to enable a new therapeutic category -- 'electroceutical' devices.

The link: Engineer invents a way to beam power to medical chips deep inside the body -- ScienceDaily

Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM

A list of some of 10 breakthroughs that will occur this year. Keep in mind that in 10 years today's technology will seem as old as technology from 1980....

This is from MIT Review:

Technology news is full of incremental developments, but few of them are true milestones. Here we’re citing 10 that are. These advances from the past year all solve thorny problems or create powerful new ways of using technology. They are breakthroughs that will matter for years to come.

The link: 10 New Breakthrough Technologies 2014 | MIT Technology Review

Old 05-20-2014, 03:13 PM

Exclamation Inside The New Human: The Near Future Of Embeddable, Implantable Technology

A great example of humans merging with technology and today. This will be common place in the 2020's.

This is from Science Festival:

The line separating human from machine got a bit fuzzier last month, when Google finalized two patents for smart contact lenses designed to alert people with diabetes to potentially dangerous dips in blood sugar levels. Around the same time, scientists at the University of Louisville helped three people with complete lower limb paralysis move their legs and feet by stimulating electronic devices they’d embedded in their spinal cords. And earlier this year, doctors implanted a chip in the brain of a man with complete paralysis that allowed him to move objects with his mind with the help of a prosthesis.

These medical marvels are entrancing, but helping restore lost function is only the beginning of the potential uses for implantable technology. When the able-bodied start merging tools with their bodies, is there even a line between man and machine to consider?

The link: World Science Festival Inside The New Human: The Near Future of Embeddable, Implantable Technology | World Science Festival

Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Exclamation Engineers build world's smallest, fastest nanomotor: Can fit inside a single cell

Another big step in nano technology. This is just more evidence that it can be done and why it will change the way we view medicine by the 2020's.

This is from Science Daily:

Engineers have built the fastest, smallest and longest-running nanomotor to date. The nanomotor is capable of drug delivery on a nanoscale. One day, nanomotors could lead to the development of tiny devices that seek out and treat cancer cells.

The link: Engineers build world's smallest, fastest nanomotor: Can fit inside a single cell -- ScienceDaily

A video:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology