Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNerd View Post
I saw these weird lights that changed color in the sky not too long ago, there were a lot! I thought what if it's aliens. I also thought it could be government drones.
if there were life they would just think of us like animals or insects because we are so much less than them anyway

And if there was a god he would be an alien anyway.
either way.

besides we could just be an experiment left behind by aliens.

now lets go find them

gg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 09:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
if there were life they would just think of us like animals or insects because we are so much less than them anyway
I have often thought about that, they could be look at us like we look at an ant colony. Just hope they don't get out a giant can of Galactic Raid.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:31 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
I was just reading an article that hinted at finding fungi on Mars.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:47 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I was just reading an article that hinted at finding fungi on Mars.
Do you have a link or reference for that article?

Old 12-25-2014, 01:50 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
On the commonality of all life on earth, i.e. all life sharing a percentage of DNA, is it possible that all life anywhere might have that same basic building block simply because that's the way life works?

Old 12-25-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Do you have a link or reference for that article?
With all due respect dude, google search "Fungi on mars", plenty of pictures and otherwise fun

Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
With all due respect dude, google search "Fungi on mars", plenty of pictures and otherwise fun
I did. Thanks dude. I thought you were talking about something much more recent. The fungi story is old news, but the lawsuit over it is rather humorous.
NASA sued: Mars 'jelly doughnut' clearly alien fungus - CNET

That said, the source of the methane spike is unknown, but thought to be fairly close to the rover. Exactly what the cause is could be one of a number of things. I don't know if the source will be tracked down, but it would be interesting to check out. It's certainly grabbed some attention. My guess is that it may be geological, but it's possible it could be from pockets of methane trapped below ground that's worked its way to the surface, perhaps caused by long extinct pockets of bacteria. What makes that prospect interesting is that organic compounds have been detected by Curiosity in Gale Crater and that Gale Crater was once filled with water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaFm1BveOOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-LTIq8Le8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP11yLm7PQA

Old 12-25-2014, 10:12 PM

Best of what I know of Mars does suggest that life we understand it can survive there. They told me that compnonetns of life is Oxygen, water and light. Mars has all of those.

So I agree with the fun at Nasa's expense, you have not found life on Mars yet, so where have you been looking ?

Old 12-25-2014, 10:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
They told me that compnonetns of life is Oxygen, water and light.
You only need liquid water as this is the only thing that binds all life on earth. There is forms of life here that need neither light or oxygen. For example there is moons of Jupiter and Saturn that are frozen on the top with ice, they have elliptical orbits which generates heat inside them. That ice could be liquid below and we know of life that exists here on earth in those conditions.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:00 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
We have life right here on earth that does not need water. Leave a can of petrol out for a few years and see what happens to it. Bacteria turns it into a turpentine like substance (smelling and looking). Not mineral turps but real thing. Diesel needs additives to kill bacteria that grows in it, blocking filters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology