Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:05 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times

Advertisements

Father time has a way of making once-dazzling technological breakthroughs appear primitive and obsolete. Within recent decades many seemingly essential technologies have become practically obsolete. Typewriters, floppy disks, Vinyl (although it has experienced a cult revival as of late), dial-up internet, etc.

Inevitably other technologies will folow suit in the near future, but which technologies will they be? To get the ball rolling, I believe that CDs, DVDs, single-purpose remote controls, and car mirrors will effectively become obsolete within the next decade. I also believe that print media may struggle to survive the next decade given the increasing pressure to shift to an exclusively online format.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
I don't see car mirrors becoming obsolete.

Flash drives on the other hand I believe will go away due to cloud storage.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:03 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Cable TV as we know it. Too many people hate the cost and the companies that provide it.

Many people do not trust "the cloud" to be there when needed and will retain flash drives.

High tech where it isn't needed irritates a lot of people, for example those who crash the car while trying to find something acceptable on the radio.

Mirrors are not subject to electrical failure.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:33 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

Digital mirrors seem to be the next big thing. Whether or not they catch on remains to be seen.

Last edited by Razza94; 04-25-2017 at 04:41 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 05:22 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Father time has a way of making once-dazzling technological breakthroughs appear primitive and obsolete. Within recent decades many seemingly essential technologies have become practically obsolete. Typewriters, floppy disks, Vinyl (although it has experienced a cult revival as of late), dial-up internet, etc.

Inevitably other technologies will folow suit in the near future, but which technologies will they be? To get the ball rolling, I believe that CDs, DVDs, single-purpose remote controls, and car mirrors will effectively become obsolete within the next decade. I also believe that print media may struggle to survive the next decade given the increasing pressure to shift to an exclusively online format.

What do you guys think?
Kinda hard to guess. I've been wrong so many times in the past, I am almost afraid to make a stab at it.

I'll say this, though; When we have another Carrington event (1859, before much technology existed) then ALL technologies will become extinct.
Here's why a massive 1859 solar storm still terrifies scientists - Business Insider

Old 04-25-2017, 06:03 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
I believe DVDs may get denser, but they will still hold their current form-factor - which keeps current technology recordings from being obsoleted. People don't like it when a technology goes away and their investment in media goes to zero (Records, Laser Disks, Beta and VHS tapes, Cassettes and 8 Tracks).

If the DVD FF died, I would never buy another movie.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Humans.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
DVD's will hang on for years ot come due to Netflix and Redbox but CD's are being phased out. We bought a new JeeP and were surprised that it didn't even have a CD player option. It has a bunch of plugs for USB etc.. but no sign of a CD player. I like my CD's. I have a MP3 player but don't care for it.

I am very curious about what the next big TV fad will be. We have flat screens that have grown bigger, brighter and cheaper over the last several years. In the next 10 years will we all be tossing our flat screens for something even better?

Something that is going away is the brick and mortar retail store as are malls.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
I consider cd's and DvD's a reliable long term storage of stuff I like. If I have the DVD's or laser disc of a show or movie I love, and love to rewatch, I don't have to be hooked up to any data base, nor have an internet connection. And a LOT of those of older shows contain the whole show, not the somewhat edited for more commercials later versions. Mind you, I love netflix and how I can send it to my nice hi def tv, but theres a lot of stuff which might not ever make it there.

I don't want a single remote for everything. The cable one can be set up that way, but it isn't. I just have to be very mindful of where they are since they tend to wander.

I don't see everyone reading from a computer screen. Print media will remain. I can lay down comfortably in bed and read a book or magazine. I don't see doing that with a little screen in hand, and no way is a phone going to be big enough to do much reading (not to mention they battery drains itself too fast.)

I don't think vinyl will ever die. The sound quality it produces beats tape, your computer or your phone. This doesn't mean as much to some, but it will stay as a real music lovers place to enjoy.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

I would sure hope that car mirrors don't dissapear. Though insurence company's would be quite giddy about it.

Me, if it is important to me, want a program or pics or whatever on some physical medium I can control over the 'cloud'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology