Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:46 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromGA View Post

Finally, I will say that I found myself asking "what is happening to America" several times the first few days I was here. I hope this "hip-hop" lifestyle and attitude doesnt keep growing because a country cant be great if most people are looking for basic service industry jobs.
Seriously, WHAT TF are you talking about? You seem to have a very skewed and biased perspective not at all based on any kind of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post

At the time I asked a friend of mine (who lived in Seattle until recently) via Facebook why there was so much panhandling in Seattle and she replied:

"As for the homeless people, I think they are just more visible in Seattle, maybe because they don't have to worry as much about being beaten up as homeless people in other American towns do. Plus, there's a lot more people walking around in Seattle than most other cities, so more opportunities to panhandle."
I can't agree with this assessment, although I can't offer another explanation as to the why. I grew up in the DC area, now live in NYC and have been to SF and LA on several occasions--**FAR** more people walking the streets (especially in NYC!!!) and besides SF, none of them are as aggressive...NYC homeless are not aggressive (so far anyway) at ALL, I have seen almost none. So if you are going by population and people walking around as to say opportunity accounts for the aggressiveness, that theory is by my experience, which is plenty, completely invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 10:51 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
An important component to this issue, is the history of homelessness in Seattle. It is by no means a recent phenomenon.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
First, Seattle is built on a history of bums. Skid row originated here.

Second, too many people come here with too little resources thinking they will find work, a place to live, etc and it's expensive and the jobs don't really cover the costs of living here for many of the service jobs that under-skilled people can get.

Finally, there's no laws about vagrancy, public drunkenness, or urination. However, there are laws about sleeping on benches.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:21 PM

58 posts, read 99,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
Seriously, WHAT TF are you talking about? You seem to have a very skewed and biased perspective not at all based on any kind of reality.

I can't agree with this assessment, although I can't offer another explanation as to the why. I grew up in the DC area, now live in NYC and have been to SF and LA on several occasions--**FAR** more people walking the streets (especially in NYC!!!) and besides SF, none of them are as aggressive...NYC homeless are not aggressive (so far anyway) at ALL, I have seen almost none. So if you are going by population and people walking around as to say opportunity accounts for the aggressiveness, that theory is by my experience, which is plenty, completely invalid.
To be honest, I wasn't completely convinced by my friend's explanation, however not being from there means I can only speculate as to the reasons why. Reading through the other posts here, it sounds like a combination of factors can be attributed to the number of Seattle homeless - lack of laws against panhandling, the appeal of mild weather, history and people falling on hard times after moving to the city.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
I concede that the homeless problem is getting worse and is perhaps one of the worst in the country (although as others have mentioned, it seemed way worse in San Francisco during my visits), but I guess I am so jaded that I just don't really notice them as much as a tourist would. Apparently I don't really look like a victim, because I am not solicited that often, and if I am, its just a "sorry bro" and the interaction is over.

The people I find to be far more annoying and aggressive are the relentless direct dialog petitioners..those people can die in a fire.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromGA View Post

Finally, I will say that I found myself asking "what is happening to America" several times the first few days I was here. I hope this "hip-hop" lifestyle and attitude doesnt keep growing because a country cant be great if most people are looking for basic service industry jobs. I know its dramatic thinking, but that is my general reaction to walking around downtown during the day and seeing what I see.
The cluelessness of this post pins the Ridiculous Meter.

First time in the Big City, huckleberry?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
First, Seattle is built on a history of bums. Skid row originated here.

Second, too many people come here with too little resources thinking they will find work, a place to live, etc and it's expensive and the jobs don't really cover the costs of living here for many of the service jobs that under-skilled people can get.

Finally, there's no laws about vagrancy, public drunkenness, or urination. However, there are laws about sleeping on benches.
Seattle was not "built on a history of bums" just because the term "skid row" originated here. Seattle is a boomtown, thanks to the Klondike Gold Rush.

There are laws against public urination. They may not be enforced to your liking, but they exist. You can try and outlaw homelessness, but most of Seattle is too compassionate for that.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
It's warm. Contrast Seattle with states with an actual winter. Being homeless in Minneapolis can be lethal. Not so much in Seattle.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroprince View Post
Any answers? I don't think it's even as bad as NY. But I can't stand being hassled for money all the time. I'm empathetic, but it's annoying and one thing I really don't miss moving back ..
Ask them if love wet unicorns with steak sauce!! It always works for me.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
Its funny to ask them for change right when theyre about to ask you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area