Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj View Post
Maybe your new communist commissioner could figure out an acceptable way to redistribute the wealth in your city. If you tax the rich 70 to 80 percent, you could create some great austerity programs to help the panhandlers. Some governments make it easy for a person to make a living being a panhandler. Panhandlers don't have to worry about health care and there are plenty of food stamps available. Why do you think that they choose to panhandle? Simple, it is easier than working full time and they make money by making feel guilty.

Committee to End Homelessness- King County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:08 AM

89 posts, read 168,953 times
Because unlike most United States metro areas
cops there tend to not be as bothered and uneasy
when it comes to street wanderers and people out of
work long term, hence why many homeless people
choose Seattle over most other places.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroprince View Post
That's a pretty good list. I just hate getting guilt tripped. I'm living on a tight budget myself so I couldn't see myself giving money to every bleedin' person. I'd be homeless too.
If someone wants to get off the streets, the first thing they need to do is stop begging on the street. Most money given to panhandlers is spent on alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes. Just walk on by - no guilt.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Have you been here before?

Every time I have out-of-state guests, that is the one thing that captures all their attention: The panhandlers here are intrusive/aggressive. Even the guests that are from the big cities in the East Coast and Chicago remarked about it. Its odd to them.
Absolutely right. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, NYC, Minneapolis - their pan handlers have nothing on the aggressive street people in Seattle. That said, anchorage as of late has become a lot worse than Seattle. So that's something.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
This should about explain why I don't give money to homeless, and they don't get aggressive with me.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Walking along Elliot Ave under the 99 overpass yesterday there was a homeless guy next to the cyclone fence along the railroad tracks peeing. Facing the street, cars and pedestrians, not the railroad tracks! This morning in the same spot someone was sleeping (didn't try to see if the same guy) and a cop was sitting in his car right there. As long as their behavior is tolerated by the city, more will come.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times
I'm currently in Seattle, on holiday from Scotland. When talking to a police officer yesterday, he advised me to not be out walking south of my hotel once it got dark. South of my hotel covers the monorail, lightlink rail stations, etc. Having seen the sheer number of homeless people out during the day, I'm not surprised. I've been to LA several times and had no problems, but I do not feel safe walking about this city (day or night) or getting a bus in the transit tunnel. Today, I was in Pioneer Square doing a walking tour that required me to use my phone to answer questions. There were several things I couldn't see due to large groups of homeless people congregating in that place, almost as if they were waiting for the unsuspecting tourist, and I felt very uneasy. There were police on horseback and cycling around, but they seemed to be avoiding these areas.

I'm normally very happy to get around by public transport when in a new city, but I'm definitely going to be taking the expensive option of taxi's while I'm here.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashfo View Post
I'm currently in Seattle, on holiday from Scotland. When talking to a police officer yesterday, he advised me to not be out walking south of my hotel once it got dark. South of my hotel covers the monorail, lightlink rail stations, etc. Having seen the sheer number of homeless people out during the day, I'm not surprised. I've been to LA several times and had no problems, but I do not feel safe walking about this city (day or night) or getting a bus in the transit tunnel. Today, I was in Pioneer Square doing a walking tour that required me to use my phone to answer questions. There were several things I couldn't see due to large groups of homeless people congregating in that place, almost as if they were waiting for the unsuspecting tourist, and I felt very uneasy. There were police on horseback and cycling around, but they seemed to be avoiding these areas.

I'm normally very happy to get around by public transport when in a new city, but I'm definitely going to be taking the expensive option of taxi's while I'm here.
The homeless are aggressive beggars but harmless otherwise. I walk from Westlake to the waterfront and back every day and take the bus home (to Sammamish) and have never felt threatened in 3 years. Most of the crime is people breaking into parked cars. We used to have free bus service in the downtown areas, since that ended you must ay to be on the bus and that has made them a lot safer. As for the police officer warning you yesterday, that was due to the protesters, who shut down Westlake Shopping center 3 hours early, they were trying to disrupt "Black Friday" shopping.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:40 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
99% of the homeless are harmless. Just walk tall and right on by. Realize that Seattle's homeless are drawn from a five-state area. Downtown Seattle, compared to many larger American cities, is pretty safe.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:40 AM

111 posts, read 207,212 times
I am sad when I - or anyone - judges the homeless people. Certainly, everybody's situation is different - nobody is obligated to help them. But surely, we can all at least try not to judge them. I talk to homeless people frequently. Everybody has a different story. I won't even say I believe all the stories. Not all of them are navy seals or have multi-million dollar fortunes stolen from them by their friend. However, pretty much all of them - have severe trauma in their life. Like more severe than most people deal with. Again, not all. One woman was completely shattered by the suicide of her mother. One man had nightmares for years from his war service before his mind broke. A man raped by his pastor when he was child. And then, yes, there are some that got into drugs, and it has them by the throat - making them willing to do anything. But I wonder - would I turn to drink if I were out in the elements on a night like this - or haunted by a past like theirs? Or how about 100 nights like this? Probably I would. I don't give money most of the time - but socks and handwarmers and some snack - I try to give those.

And aren't the acts of kindness that change us the ones we don't deserve? I know in my case they are. I'm more guilty than most. I judge too much, and give too little - but I hope that we all will at least try to treat them with the same respect and kindness we'd give to any other human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area