Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM

37 posts, read 71,257 times

Advertisements

I am flying out to Seattle on 3/12-3/19 for a business trip, and I am looking for things to do while i am there for the week. I will be staying at the Grand Hyatt downtown. This is my first time going out there and to the west coast.

Here is my list so far:
Space needle
MLS game on 3/15 at Qwest field
pike place market
First Starbucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 PM

56 posts, read 127,533 times
I always tell people to do the Columbia Tower instead of the Needle. Cheaper and a better view especially when it's clear. Also try to hit the Seattle Art Museum and the downtown library.

Outside of downtown: Gas Works Park in SLU; the troll in Fremont; Museum of Flight down south (or the factory tour up north).

Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The first Starbucks is at Pike's Place Market so you can hit both at once. Despite the construction mess there it was still pretty busy when I walked up from work last week, on a sunny but 36 degree day. If you walk from the Market down to the Alaskan Way skybridge, you will come out by Pier 66.
Then go north and in a couple of blocks is the Olympic Sculpture Park, a nice place to walk if the weather isn't too bad. You can walk out on Pier 69 (where I work) or 70 and see the waterfront shipping terminals with the
Olympic Mountains in the background if it's not cloudy

Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
If you are interested in industrial processes and don't mind driving ~40 min, you can take a tour of the Boeing plant in Everett. There's a 50/50 chance the plane you flew on was made by Boeing.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 9,567 times
Spend a few hours and take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island. It's quite cold right now, but if you catch a fairly clear day, it's such a beautiful way to see the Seattle skyline from the water. The Olympic Mountains and Mr. Rainier is amazing from this vantage as well. Bainbridge has a cool area just a short walk from the dock to amazing shops and to grab breakfast or a sandwich for lunch.

I enjoy Columbia Tower for it's views. But if I recall, it's not a completely 360 degree view and it doesn't have the same feel as the Space Needle. My preference is the Space Needle, but if you can do both, Columbia Tower is a great view.

A couple of years ago, I took an Argosy cruise. A van picked us up along the waterfront in Seattle and drove us to Lake Union. We got on the boat and cruise around there, saw some houseboats, tons of fishing boats. It took us through the Ballard Locks which is a pretty cool experience. The Locks is a cool place whether you are watching the boats, or areactually in the boats. It brings you back to the sound, cruising around Elliott Bay while they point out stuff in West Seattle, all the Piers, etc.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Pike's Place Market
Pike Place Market, not Pike's Place. It is named after a street, not a person.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM

37 posts, read 71,257 times
thanks for the suggestions so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
If you are interested in industrial processes and don't mind driving ~40 min, you can take a tour of the Boeing plant in Everett. There's a 50/50 chance the plane you flew on was made by Boeing.
it's actually a business trip for boeing so i will definitely be 'touring' the everett plant everyday. I believe 3/4 planes i will be flying on there and back are boeing planes

Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
The Museum of Flight is worth a visit, and the Seattle Underground Tour is interesting. Take a ferry ride, as suggested. The Experience Music Project and SciFi Museum are big draws, and the Seattle Art Museum usually has something interesting.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Underground tour is a must

Everyone I know who has gone to EMP has loved it.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I second the EMP. Even though the architecture looks like a technicolor wadded piece of paper thrown to the side, I like it. And the exhibits are cool too. Even makes a person with no rhythm like myself feel like he can dish out some tunes afterward, and you get to listen to tons of good music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area