Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Unfortunately, we don't get it around here often. And when we do its usually short lived. I do remember once though years ago we had a stalled thunderstorm over the area for about three days straight. That was awesome, would be cool if it happened again!
LOL

You must not watch Grey's Anatomy - on several episodes every season, they will show a scene outside the hospital where a storm is in full swing - with plenty of thunder and lightning.

I always wonder about that because, down here, I'm lucky to get a good thunder and lightning storm here ONCE a year, and often times not even that. At least, nothing that is very substantial - sometimes it's nothing more than two or three booms and a couple of flashes.

Too bad, too, because I love a good thunder storm, although my dogs get all freaked out over it.

But, if you can believe GA, thunder and lightning is a common occurrence in Seattle.

Snowing here.....again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Don't bother trying to explain that to anyone. The haters will hate. Just the way it is.
Yes, partly cloudy is the same as partly sunny to me! Depends how the weather man is feeling that day!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Yes, partly cloudy is the same as partly sunny to me! Depends how the weather man is feeling that day!
I assume you meant mostly sunny? Unless its totally overcast and/or raining, I consider it pretty nice. And actually overcast isn't even all that bad. It really is the RAIN that gets to me so much! Most people say the usual mizzle doesn't get to them. I can't stand it myself. I can't wait to live in a place where it doesn't rain as much as it does here. Anything, aside from hurricanes, cyclones, or tornados, would be better!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
But look at the number of only partly cloudy days as compared to here. They get way more, and days that are partly cloudy are gorgeous. I pretty much consider them as sunny.
They get more only because Seattle is sunnier than Buffalo in the summer. The rest of the year the difference is negligible. Well actually no. Factor in the freezing cold and excessive snow and Seattle looks pretty darn good. I prefer partly cloudy days myself though. Having some clouds up there keeps my radar reflector (forehead) from overheating.

Anyway, the moral to my story is that there are other places in the US with equally bad weather, they just don't have the rep. Maybe it's because places like Buffalo don't get a ton of people moving in from fair weather states who later become quite vocal about the weather.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:
Seattle:
What a dump.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
In regards to humidity, remember there is relative humidity, absolute humidity and the dew point to take into consideration, so when someone says it's 'humid' it may or may not actually feel humid. Seattle does not feel humid to me, but that's because I currently live in Houston. Now there have been plenty of times where the weatherman will say it's humid outside, but to me it really doesn't feel bad. I learned quickly that it's not so much the humidity value to look for, but the dew point. The dew point is a better indicator as to how humid it feels outside. If the dew point gets into the 60s or 70s (or sticky 60s/sultry 70s as they are coined here!) then it feels awful outside. I've noticed Seattle's dew points barely get into the 50s at their worst, which means it really doesn't feel as humid. However, it probably feels humid to those who are not used to dew points worse than that.

I definitely agree with the argument that humidity makes it feel worse though, hot or cold, and I absolutely hate wind added to the mix. Ugh, Houston is always so windy so during the Summer it literally feels like someone is exhaling in your face constantly!! So gross!! They don't call the Gulf Coast the armpit of America for nothing!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
What a dump.
Like I said, haters, hate. At least we can all have the satisfaction of knowing you are suffering.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Like I said, haters, hate. At least we can all have the satisfaction of knowing you are suffering.
LOL!!!

...and that you aren't doing anything proactive to change that situation.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
LOL!!!

...and that you aren't doing anything proactive to change that situation.
If you are miserable where you live. Why live there and continually whine about it? Honestly, it's nothing more than a little pity party.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1Roses View Post
Ok, since I live in Atlanta, only been to Seattle 3 times now (weekend trips only), is it really dark, gray, gloomy and rainy for 9 months? I can't imagine a place being like that! I am wondering if its just gloomy during fall/winter? That would be 6 months max! So how true is this 9 months of gloom? Or is it really 4 - 5 months? I want to move there, that is my one of my top concerns about seattle because I love the sunshine! I can deal with rain and a LITTLE snow, but I thrive, crave and love the sun!!!
It really is 9 months of the year, no joke. It's a slow drizzle with thick grey cloud cover, very depressing for someone who is used to and loves sunshine. I used to live in NC, where I found the summers oppressively hot and humid -- but at least the other 9 months were comfortable and pretty. If you find yourself very affected by the sun, do not move here. Seriously. It is a great place to visit and has much to offer its residents, but the weather thing is a huge negative. I honestly feel like we live in a cloudy fishbowl -- and you can't take a short drive to escape it on the weekends, for the entire PNW is like this. I feel guilty that my children are being raised in such a dreary place, and worry about their vitamin D levels, but our lives are so enmeshed here (ie. jobs, schools). We focus on the positive aspects of living here (ie. no rednecks or Southern accents, out of the Bible belt, liberal culture, tech jobs, educated populace, abundant coffee shops, lovely nature, etc...)

Last edited by west seattle gal; 03-19-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area