Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Well according to the guy on Q-13 who does the weather reports, a warmer and drier than normal summer is anticipated for the Pacific Northwest. The only question is, when can we expect this glorious summer to arrive???
Well, according to the NOAA forecast maps, it looks like they are predicting a dryer than normal summer, but summer temps close to normal. Spring temps continue to be forecast to be cooler than normal.

Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Outlook

Note that each map covers a 3 month period that "creeps" forward a month at a time.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM

807 posts, read 2,259,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, according to the NOAA forecast maps, it looks like they are predicting a dryer than normal summer, but summer temps close to normal. Spring temps continue to be forecast to be cooler than normal.

Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Outlook

Note that each map covers a 3 month period that "creeps" forward a month at a time.

Ken

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't even remember what normal spring/summer temps feel like. I can't believe I'm booking tickets to Arizona next month. Hell hath frozen over.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't even remember what normal spring/summer temps feel like. I can't believe I'm booking tickets to Arizona next month. Hell hath frozen over.
Yeah I'm pretty disgusted with the weather the past year as well. You know if you are ever tempted by Arizona but don't want scorching heat, there ARE areas of the state with warm but NOT super hot climates. The higher elevation areas like Flagstaff actually have very pleasant summer temps - though it CAN get a lot of snow in the winter. There's also SE Arizona to consider (where we own land). That part of the state has a WONDERFUL climate - with very warm (but not super hot) summers (we have typical highs in the upper 80's & low 90's in the summer) and winter highs in the low 60's (with winter lows in the mid-30's).

Ken

Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 AM

617 posts, read 1,425,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
And it's getting worse and worse with every year I spend here. Can you believe we're just 1 month away from summer? I don't! We haven't had a day over 55F in April, and judging by weather forecast, we might only get ONE before May! There's not a sign of green on trees or bushes (evergreen stuff and grass doesn't count). It's all drab freaking winter, for the 7th month in a row. I HATE, HATE, HATE NW!!! It's no better than Alaska here... And the air is so DRY, my skin is dry, I can't breathe at night, I never snored before, but now I snore like Harley Davidson bike, my nose is stuffed!!!

I HATE NW!!!

A random pic I snapped yesterday...
WOW! You guys are really complaining about gloomy 50+ degree weather? That is beautiful weather to me and can't wait to move out there to see if I like it.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:56 AM

617 posts, read 1,425,016 times
The only thing a I hate about TX is the weather, and would like to know if the Seattle summers get humid or not?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
The only thing a I hate about TX is the weather, and would like to know if the Seattle summers get humid or not?
No, our summers are not humid - especially not compared to what you are used to.

Seattle IS very humid for much of the year, but our humidity almost never comes when we have heat. Our humid time of the year is when it's cooler. We also don't have much in the way of mosquitos. When we actually GET a summer, they are generally pretty delightful - with lots of sun, low humidity and mild temps. For me personally, they are neither long enough nor warm enough but for those seeking relief from high heat and high humidity, Seattle summers are very pleasant indeed. Of course from time to time - such as LAST year - we seem to skip summer entirely and simply jump from spring to fall.

Ken

Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,926,035 times
It seems like a lot more people(especially the ones that live there) view Seattle/PCNW weather much more positively in years like 2009 when the weather ends up being noticeably better and a lot more people view Seattle/PCNW weather much more negatively in years like 2010 and 2011(well how 2011 is so far over there) when the weather ends up being noticeably worse. For one example, I viewed Seattle/PCNW weather much more positively in 2009 but for 2010 and how 2011 is so far I am viewing it much more negatively.

The year 2009 had a much sunnier, drier, and warmer April, May, June, July, August, AND September as well as a much sunnier/drier December than for the year 2010 during those same months which makes a huge difference. For 2010, October was actually sunnier, drier, and warmer than October 2009 and ended up being nice but still the year 2009 had 6 much nicer weather months than the year 2010 did over there.

Anyways, the weather this year in Seattle better resemble 2009 more than 2010. I have a feeling it will and May, June, July, August, September, and October this year will be relatively sunny, dry, mild/warm time periods. Hopefully, January to April for 2011 is being extra horrible so it can compensate and have May to October end up being nicer and being very nice in general in terms of weather then.

If the weather over there ends up not being as nice as 2009 and being as bad as 2010 AGAIN, I almost don't even want to go back to live there...I seriously think Seattle/PCNW will lose some or even a lot of its population if the rest of the year of 2011 ends up being as bad as it has been so far this year and if it ends up being as bad as 2010 and not nearly as nice as 2009.

Last edited by ; 04-27-2011 at 02:43 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 02:57 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
It seems like a lot more people(especially the ones that live there) view Seattle/PCNW weather much more positively in years like 2009 when the weather ends up being noticeably better and a lot more people view Seattle/PCNW weather much more negatively in years like 2010 and 2011(well how 2011 is so far over there) when the weather ends up being noticeably worse. For one example, I viewed Seattle/PCNW weather much more positively in 2009 but for 2010 and how 2011 is so far I am viewing it much more negatively.

The year 2009 had a much sunnier, drier, and warmer April, May, June, July, August, AND September as well as a much sunnier/drier December than for the year 2010 during those same months which makes a huge difference. For 2010, October was actually sunnier, drier, and warmer than October 2009 and ended up being nice but still the year 2009 had 6 much nicer weather months than the year 2010 did over there.

Anyways, the weather this year in Seattle better resemble 2009 more than 2010. I have a feeling it will and May, June, July, August, September, and October this year will be relatively sunny, dry, mild/warm time periods. Hopefully, January to April for 2011 is being extra horrible so it can compensate and have May to October end up being nicer and being very nice in general in terms of weather then.

If the weather over there ends up not being as nice as 2009 and being as bad as 2010 AGAIN, I almost don't even want to go back to live there...I seriously think Seattle/PCNW will lose some or even a lot of its population if the rest of the year of 2011 ends up being as bad as it has been so far this year and if it ends up being as bad as 2010 and not nearly as nice as 2009.
The only thing I would complain about 2010 is simply that it was *COLD* and of course it didn't really help our summer just wasn't there. But it seemed brighter than usual.

Weather will always be a contentious issue here. Either people like it/don't mind it... or they ***really*** hate it. But we won't lose population because there'll always be new people coming in.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The only thing I would complain about 2010 is simply that it was *COLD* and of course it didn't really help our summer just wasn't there. But it seemed brighter than usual.

Weather will always be a contentious issue here. Either people like it/don't mind it... or they ***really*** hate it. But we won't lose population because there'll always be new people coming in.
I agree. I don't see any population decrease in the PNW. Quite the opposite, I see a steady population growth. Despite the wet weather, it's still one of the best regions in the country to live.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No, our summers are not humid - especially not compared to what you are used to.

Seattle IS very humid for much of the year, but our humidity almost never comes when we have heat. Our humid time of the year is when it's cooler. We also don't have much in the way of mosquitos. When we actually GET a summer, they are generally pretty delightful - with lots of sun, low humidity and mild temps. For me personally, they are neither long enough nor warm enough but for those seeking relief from high heat and high humidity, Seattle summers are very pleasant indeed. Of course from time to time - such as LAST year - we seem to skip summer entirely and simply jump from spring to fall.

Ken
That is one of the things I liked about living in the Seattle area. Summers were moderate. None of the major misery I have now. I never knew what it was like to get bitten by mosquitoes until I visited my cousins in Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area