Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Yes. Whole Foods sells yogurt.
Badum-Ching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I don't care if the Eastside has culture. Not why I moved here. It was for the astounding natural beauty, great schools, safe communities, awesome open space, proximity to water and skiing and a great place to raise my kids. Culture is why I travel.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 20,280 times
Unhappy thank you for input

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for your advice! A lot of these comments were really helpful. Outgoing and chatty is what we like! Our kids are in their middle school years, they both tend to be a bit on the shy and reserved side, and they are leaving behind some really wonderful long-term friendships. So a community that is really open and outgoing would be great, and would help everybody settle in a little more quickly. We are really excited about the natural beauty all around, the greenness, the outdoor activities, the water nearby and the skiing.

One follow-up question: one person said: "Culture in Seattle?" For kid activities, are some schools or areas stronger than others in music, art, theater, and extra-curricular science stuff? My kids are both probably more into these sorts of things than sports. Our son loves the lego robotics program and orchestra at his school now and is anxious to know if he will have these types of activities when we move.

Thank you again for any information.....

Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyarendt View Post
One follow-up question: one person said: "Culture in Seattle?" For kid activities, are some schools or areas stronger than others in music, art, theater, and extra-curricular science stuff? My kids are both probably more into these sorts of things than sports. Our son loves the lego robotics program and orchestra at his school now and is anxious to know if he will have these types of activities when we move.

Thank you again for any information.....
One thing you'll come to understand as a resident here is that there are (some) Seattleites have such contempt for the Eastside because it's the epitome of their disdain ("suburbia", affluency, car-oriented, et. c). Honestly, you won't really be missing out by living in a suburb that that the state's best school districts-- but these people will have you believing that without the "urban vibrancy" you're just missing out on ... LIFE.

Now there are some programs, day camps, classes, et. c that are in Seattle that your son can get into, but it's not necessarily exclusive to the kids attending the Seattle schools. (Look into Kids Lessons, Classes and Summer Camps, or ParentMap - Seattle Activities for Kids, Parenting Articles and Resources for Families to see what's being offered in the community).

Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Yes. Whole Foods sells yogurt.
Well, those would be yogurt cultures. That is rather impressive - the Eastside has culture in plural!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Culture is why I travel.
It is a floating bridge(or two) away.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well, those would be yogurt cultures. That is rather impressive - the Eastside has culture in plural!

It is a floating bridge(or two) away.
Well, sure...or, it's a drive to Vancouver or Whistler, a hop down to Portland or a plane ride to somewhere else. I happen to like the "culture" created by beautiful lakes, mountains, clear air and eagles flying which is my day to day life. We get into Seattle plenty and love it. My husband works in the heart of downtown and some of our favorite Seattle spots are in West Seattle. We also spend a lot of time in the SLU area and our kids are very well adjusted when it comes to be in the city and encountering all walks of life. But for living? Very, very happy to be out in Sammamish.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,494 times
"What's the friendliest area around redmond?"

Is that a rhetorical question? I’ve been here for almost 3 years and haven’t met any friendly people yet.

It doesn’t matter where you live on the East side. Everyone here is pretty much the same. The outsiders (those not raised in Wa) keep to themselves and the natives (people raised in Wa) are hostile to outsiders.

I have lived in about a dozen cities during my adult life and by far Seattle or NW Washington in general is among the most unfriendly.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM

17 posts, read 75,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by microsurf09 View Post
"What's the friendliest area around redmond?"

Is that a rhetorical question? I’ve been here for almost 3 years and haven’t met any friendly people yet.

It doesn’t matter where you live on the East side. Everyone here is pretty much the same. The outsiders (those not raised in Wa) keep to themselves and the natives (people raised in Wa) are hostile to outsiders.

I have lived in about a dozen cities during my adult life and by far Seattle or NW Washington in general is among the most unfriendly.

Really???
We've been here less than a year and have made some really good friends with some of the other parents at our kids school. I've most people in Redmond to be friendly.
(Maybe it's easier if you have kids.)
Coming from Europe, in general I've found Americans to be a really friendly bunch of people.
In fact, when we have visitors over from Europe, they comment on how friendly people are over here.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoi View Post
Really???
We've been here less than a year and have made some really good friends with some of the other parents at our kids school. I've most people in Redmond to be friendly.
(Maybe it's easier if you have kids.)
Coming from Europe, in general I've found Americans to be a really friendly bunch of people.
In fact, when we have visitors over from Europe, they comment on how friendly people are over here.
Psst...Softies love British accents.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:34 PM

17 posts, read 75,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Psst...Softies love British accents.

British accent, eh?
It's more Irish than British.
Still, the Russian family beside us told us that we talk like people from the Harry Potter movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area