Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,065,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jenbar mentioned honeymoon period. Well its been 8 years now for me.
Jenbar also went on to mention that some people don't experience that - and find this weather is the perfect thing for them. That doesn't discount the experience of the vast amount of people who DONT love it.

Quote:
Jenbar mentioned she didn't know of any indoor skateboarding places.
Jenbar said she didn't know of any. Not that they didn't exist. When Jenbar read the post about Rain City Skate Park, Jenbar remembered she had heard of that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
Oh yeah - I wasn't upset at Pwright post at all, so no worries. I have though bought new clothes just cuz of the pregnancy and are feeling pretty darn good

And way with Chris - I totally agree. It COULD be where we live and yup, we live in the city. Husband and I are more "Urban" but we're noticing as the kids grow up they need a more clean suburban life (with better schools) - so we are thinking of at least moving out of Seattle and into a a neighborhood where there are actually kids playing on the sidewalks instead of 20-somethings at Pubs and coffee shops...we still would love that life, but I guess we need to evolve...and meet more parents.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:23 PM

40 posts, read 179,637 times
CityGirl,
How exciting! Is this your first baby? Do you know the sex? Names?

Enjoy your pregnancy. It is such a miraculous time and so incredible when that precious baby finally arrives.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
OHHH No! This is my second one - Ihave a 6 year old boy - now I'm having a girl. But Thanks!

And we have a list of names to take to the hospital because I just can not commit to a name unless I see them.

So if you do move up to Seattle I can give you some good names of schools and local hospitals

Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM

40 posts, read 179,637 times
Well, congrats on baby #2!

Thanks. If we get the green light and finally move up, we'll definitely need some input on the schools. Right now, we're on pins and needles waiting.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM

170 posts, read 847,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
II have proved you wrong on several occasions.... doesn't mean you need to report me to administrators as a troll, and nit pick every comment I have

Keep telling yourself that Out of respect for Rocco I will not comment on your previous posts any further other than to point out that everything you mentioned about me living in Seattle goes for you in Texas. You are also in your honeymoon period in an area I was born and raised in.

In any case, I feel a person's attitude towards a place makes a huge difference. My attitude towards Seattle has always been positive and as a result I have always loved the city and love living here. A bad attitude will not make you happy in Seattle, but a positive one towards, say Austin will make you very happy in that new location.

So all this really comes down to attitudes. If you go to virtually any nice area with a positive attitude you are sure to be happy unless outside factors, like crime, unemployment, natural disasters, etc. ruin things. So that is what living in Seattle, or Dallas, or Austin, or anywhere boils down to. The only thing to keep in mind is the weather. Make sure you enjoy each location's weather. Part of the reason I moved here is because I love Seattle's mild climates and marine weather. I am not a fan of hot/humid weather so Dallas' was horrible for me.

It seems the OP also does not enjoy that kind of weather so Seattle may be just the place

Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 PM

52 posts, read 210,672 times
Embraer: I am mid 20s and will be moving to Seattle in Jan...how much could one expect to pay for a one or two bedroom in Belltown?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM

170 posts, read 847,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsielea View Post
Embraer: I am mid 20s and will be moving to Seattle in Jan...how much could one expect to pay for a one or two bedroom in Belltown?
On average I would say 1300/month for a one bedroom, maybe more or if you are lucky a little less. Every so often a unit will become available which managers want to rent out ASAP and will lower the price a bit. That is how I got mine, for 200 less than it would have usually been

2 bedrooms inch close to the 2000/month mark and may even surpass that depending on the building you live in. In mine most 2 bedrooms start at 1600 and go to 2200 a month.

Prices aside, the area is great and the lifestyle even better. You will get some nice views outside your windows and be within walking distance of some great urban life which includes bars, clubs, restaurants, coffee houses, shops, malls ( Pacific Place is GREAT! ) and of course the beautiful Seattle sound. So really you are paying for location and lifestyle and not so much for size.

Plus all the buildings in Belltown, and across Seattle really, are packed with great ammenities like rooftop decks with barbecue pits and pools (with great views of the water, city, and mountain ranges) , saunas, jacuzzis, movie theater (yes, inside the building) and common areas where all the neighboors get together to have a drink and chat.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:00 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,201,072 times
Being a young person who has transplanted into Seattle (temporarily, THANK GOD!), I can tell you it'll probably be hard for your kids adjusting from sunny and warm to cool, grey, and drizzle. I've lived all over the country, orignially from southern Florida and have never been so depressed due to the miserable climate. I've lived in the midwest (just outside Chicago and again in Minn) and was never depressed there like I am here, at least there we got four real seasons. I know how much Seattle supporters enjoy quoting the weather statistics saying "oh well it doesn't rain as much here in terms of inches per year, blah blah," but it does rain here almost constantly for about 9, and, sometimes 10 months. Last year we got over a month straight of drizzle; MISERABLE!! Just a warning from one "outsider" to another, be ready for it.

Oh, and Citygirl72, don't listen to the others who deny it, the "Seattle Freeze" is very real. Coming from a very social area (Ft. Lauderdale-Miami area), and you from So. Cal, I can definitley see the freeze in Seattleites. Maybe it's because we're not from around here originally, but whatever the case, I've never expereinced it anywhere else and can't wait to get OUT of Seattle!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 AM

6 posts, read 17,952 times
There are actually a few indoor skate parks in the Seattle area, most of them in the suburbs. I played in a band around Seattle and the West Coast and as a result have played in plenty of them...

As mentioned before, there are plenty of outdoor parks which are sponsored by local government. I see kids out there all year long.

Myself, I came from a place where it snows instead of rains and i'd much rather take the rain. It's hard to skate in the snow and ice, you won't really have a problem with that here.

I don't think there is much difference between the Great Lakes and the Pac NW when it comes to cloudy days, so I guess I feel home. It's funny how perceptions can vary widely about an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area