Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 AM

40 posts, read 179,622 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Avenue.

We lived in a snowy climate for a short while and it was horrible for my boys. They couldn't skate and it drove them nuts. I found, also, that the kids there seemed to get into more trouble and I was concerned about the influence it had on my kids. In the winter (with the snow) they didn't have anything constructive to do. We lived about an hour and a half away from a place where they could snowboard, but with icy roads and costs I wouldn't take them there as much as they would have liked. With skating, these kids are focused and occupied. Sure, there's opportunity for trouble and making poor choices,but I found that most of the kids really worked at their skating skills.

Again, understanding the potential weather pit falls I've wanted to know the resources available to my kids. I agree with you regarding the preference of cloudy and wet vs. actual snow and ice. It's great to know that there will be several indoor skateparks to hedge bets when its too wet for outdoor parks.

Are you still playing in your band? What kind of band is it?

Thanks again, for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:48 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Husband and I are more "Urban" but we're noticing as the kids grow up they need a more clean suburban life (with better schools) - so we are thinking of at least moving out of Seattle and into a a neighborhood where there are actually kids playing on the sidewalks instead of 20-somethings at Pubs and coffee shops...we still would love that life, but I guess we need to evolve...and meet more parents.
I don't think you'll miss coffee *anywhere* in this state. I live in a boondocks town of 1200 and we have two coffee shops within one mile of my place, although the pubs might take a little adjustment.

And that might be part of the issue. I mean, people without kids/dinks aren't going to want to hang out with parents that have kids. I know I wouldn't. I still have a tough time maintaining my cool around screaming chillins.

And to the OP: I think if you can find a place for your kids to skate indoors Jan-May, they'll be ok.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,959 times
Default Indoor in Dallas

I am planning a move to Seattle this summer. Quite frankly when we moved here to Dallas (Rockwall) I was surprised to see not that many people outside. In fact, I even asked the real estate agent..."where are all the kids"? I live in a large subdivison now and rarely hear the kids outside playing. By contrast, I saw more people out and about when visiting Seattle. And, the air was cleaner, fresher, plants grew! I think I'm making a good choice, clouds or not! I hate Texas!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,710 times
Default I don't see a problem

Just yesterday, my wife and I took the dog for a walk around Greenlake. It was a little breezy, temps in the mid-50's, and there was occasional mist. I counted no fewer than 30kids on my stroll around the lake playing with the fallen leaves, riding their bikes, and otherwise enjoying the outdoors.

The difference? They weren't in shorts and T-shirts. They were dressed for it. That's really all it takes here.

Sure you'll get the odd storm (like we're expecting tomorrow) with huge winds and driving rain, but it isn't the norm. It's the odd week when I don't get at least two runs or walks around the lake regardless of weather.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:18 PM

40 posts, read 179,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyme View Post
I am planning a move to Seattle this summer. Quite frankly when we moved here to Dallas (Rockwall) I was surprised to see not that many people outside. In fact, I even asked the real estate agent..."where are all the kids"? I live in a large subdivison now and rarely hear the kids outside playing. By contrast, I saw more people out and about when visiting Seattle. And, the air was cleaner, fresher, plants grew! I think I'm making a good choice, clouds or not! I hate Texas!
I agree with you Purdy! This Texas girl has had enough of the heat, too.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
The weather will grow on you either way: you'll either deal with it or it will grate on you over time. I grew up in the midwest with gray skies and snow and I was never as weather affected as I have been here. Do NOT expect people in the PacNW to be Texas friendly. You'll see what I mean when you get here. It isn't a slam---it's just "different" and takes alot of adjustment. Enjoy that Texas sun---you'll be longing for it someday. And yea, coffee is good. We need the caffine IV drip to get us through the 9 months of blah weather---oh and since we didn't have a real summer this year, make that 10.5.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:06 AM

62 posts, read 510,631 times
I dated a skater once. He complained a lot about the weather and not being able to skate. He is now living in LA and he says he can skate whenever he wants. He always complained that in Seattle all people say they want to do is sit inside on rainy days and watch movies.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:30 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,737 times
I wouldn't take any chances. The worst part about SAD is that you don't realize you have it until you've lived here for a while. I didn't start feeling it until about a year ago, and I've lived in the Seattle area for over 20 years. The clouds are like termites that eat away at your constitution.

Bottom line: Don't risk it.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:49 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,554 times
Upside to WA - No Santa Ana winds and huge wildfires. I lost my childhood home in the 1994 Malibu fires and now my Mom is evacuating b/c of the fires that started this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area