Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM

40 posts, read 179,637 times

Advertisements

We are anticipating a move to Seattle. My 2 boys are skateboarders on a competitive level. With the drizzly Seattle weather (9 months out of the year?), will they go nuts with cabin fever and unable to skate?

I understand there are many skateparks in the Seattle area. Are there many indoor parks? It's not a good idea to skate on wet, slippery concrete and I'm worried they may be miserable with Seattle's weather.

Any advice? (I guess I'm hoping my impression of the weather is incorrect.) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
depends on where you are coming from

I'm from Calif and I'm miserable here - but my son (who is only six) loves it

People just skate in the weather - and it's more cloudy and and moist cold air then rain

Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 PM

We would be coming from Dallas (Allen). We're so tired of the heat.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 PM

170 posts, read 847,266 times
I just moved from there. I lived in Plano and then Addison before coming up here.

Me and my fiancee are loving it in Seattle. We both loved Seattle long before moving here and now it has only become better.

One thing about the climate is that no matter the weather you can typically still do things outside no problem. I see kids playing outside all the time including riding skateboards.

I have 3 younger cousins back in Dallas, ages 8, 11, and 13. The 11 and 13 year olds are both very active skateborders. All 3 including their parents have also fallen in love with Seattle since visiting me up here and all express their desire to live here one day as well.

Just make sure you don't mind cloudy and drizzly weather. Please don't take that as meaning it will be cloudy and drizzly all the time but it is cloudy above the national average so you must like that.

Personally I enjoy the cloudy days. But unlike the cloudy days we are used to back in North Texas around here it is not usually dark and cloudy. It is cloudy, maybe partly cloudy and the city still has this bright look to it. It is hard to explain but you must experience it for yourself.

The Texas heat was also one of the main reasons we left for Seattle, so I know how you feel. I can tell you the climate up here is MUCH better than down there. No extreme heat/humidity in the summer and no bitter freezing temps in the winter. Also say good bye to all those bugs and mosquitoes who I'm sure are still eating you alive down there

Old 10-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Embraer,
What part of Seattle did you choose to live in?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:06 AM

Well, we are in our mid/late 20s and don't have any kids yet so our lifestyle still leans heavily towards the social & urban side So we live in the downtown area, in Belltown.

It is a very nice area along the waterfront and walking distance to anything and everything. Down the road, especially after kids come along we hope to move into Magnolia, Captial Hill, or West Seattle. Keep in mind those areas are all very pricey but on average for Seattle. Homes will start at 400k and go up from there. But unlike down in Texas up here you are not paying so much for square footage as you are for location, lifestyle, and ammeneties.

In the end it works out better up here in my opinion. I'm sure you will love it here as well.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,065,435 times
I don't know of any indoor skate parks in Seattle - but each city has their own, city run outdoor park... but no, they are pretty deserted when it's raining. As mentioned through out this forum though - it's not the actual RAIN that is the problem with those who don't appreciate the weather, it's the amount of overcast cloudy chilly days. You can still skate in those.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
I'll switch to Texas with you - I miss heat and warmth and sun

I'm in my mid-30s and have kids, I feel cooped up in the house all year long (usually people without kids have an easier time acclimating to the weather here)

Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,065,435 times
I have to agree with this

Quote:
(usually people without kids have an easier time acclimating to the weather here)
especially if you have younger kids, you can easily start to feel trapped in the house. I don't believe the "people go about their day" line anyone living in the area feeds newcomers. I used to use that line too. It's simply NOT TRUE. You do tend to huddle in the house during the periods of constant drizzle.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 AM

That is misleading Jenbar. You are giving your opinion and perception.

Some people cocooon inside their homes when the sun disappears while others go outside and enjoy the day. Each person has a different way of doing things.

The fact that I personally see half the city out and about during all climates proves that, and not just adults but kids with their parents as well. Most people are not the "lets go outside and have fun" types to begin with, even in locations with 365 sunny days a year. I remember down in Dallas we had a number of parks complete with more sunny and hot days than I cared for, yet I hardly saw anybody out save for the occaisonal jogger or dog walker.

Each person is different as are families. Lets not use the "we have kids so its different" card. Unless I am dreaming I see a number of kids everywhere here and none of them seem depressed by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area