Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 AM

186 posts, read 362,435 times

Advertisements

the rule of thumb is that you can afford to spend ONE person's weekly takehome check on housing. NOT with overtime and not with any part of the spouse's income going towards that goal. To spend more is to have nothing for emergencies, savings/fun, etc,, and long term, that is very bad news. It's just a place to lay your head, people. If you can't in some way convert it into a money maker (ie, a shop therein or renting out rooms) then its cost must be minimized. Remember, that, depending upon interest, over a 30 year mortgage, you pay 1.5 to 2 MILLION dollars on a 1/2 mill $ home, and you also pay all the upkeep and even after it is "yours', you still pa 1-3% of value in property taxes. It most cases, the single family residence is the most stupid expenditure you could possibly have. If you go at it right about your housing, almost anyone can retire in the USA in 10 years and quite a few can do it in 6 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
the rule of thumb is that you can afford to spend ONE person's weekly takehome check on housing. NOT with overtime and not with any part of the spouse's income going towards that goal. To spend more is to have nothing for emergencies, savings/fun, etc,, and long term, that is very bad news. It's just a place to lay your head, people. If you can't in some way convert it into a money maker (ie, a shop therein or renting out rooms) then its cost must be minimized. Remember, that, depending upon interest, over a 30 year mortgage, you pay 1.5 to 2 MILLION dollars on a 1/2 mill $ home, and you also pay all the upkeep and even after it is "yours', you still pa 1-3% of value in property taxes. It most cases, the single family residence is the most stupid expenditure you could possibly have. If you go at it right about your housing, almost anyone can retire in the USA in 10 years and quite a few can do it in 6 years.
You neglected to factor in the tax deduction for mortgage interest and taxes that the renter doesn't get, in our case that's over $25,000. Equity has been a problem recently for many that bought at the peak but in our case, as one of millions, we bought for $190k and even after the bubble it's worth $550k. Then there are the non-monetary advantages such as being able to renovate/remodel/decorate to make the home the way you want it, not being subject to renewing the lease every few years at a higher rent, having the rental sold out from under you, if you have children, knowing that will remain in the area served by the good schools.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You neglected to factor in the tax deduction for mortgage interest and taxes that the renter doesn't get, in our case that's over $25,000. Equity has been a problem recently for many that bought at the peak but in our case, as one of millions, we bought for $190k and even after the bubble it's worth $550k. Then there are the non-monetary advantages such as being able to renovate/remodel/decorate to make the home the way you want it, not being subject to renewing the lease every few years at a higher rent, having the rental sold out from under you, if you have children, knowing that will remain in the area served by the good schools.
$25K deduction??? If you're married filing jointly that means your property taxes, interest and mortgage insurance are over $37K ($25K+standard deduction $12,200) You must have refinanced out quite a bit of equity at a bad rate to get it up that high on a house that's only worth $550K.

With today's low mortgage rates, the deduction really only benefits very high income individuals who finance expensive homes, and spendthrifts that 100% finance average priced ($500K) homes.

Since I bought a house fairly close to the bottom, with a conforming loan and 20% down, the total deduction I see in excess of the standard deduction is around $6K, which doesn't amount to much regardless of what tax bracket you're in.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:53 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
This is BS, I hope you know that, right? I don't need to know what type of town Seattle "is", I already live here.
Whatever I write you disparage and makes you overly emotional and hostile towards me. Anybody, who says anything contrary of the greatness of Seattle results in you giving a heated lashing and unequivocal response.

Quote:
As mentioned, of course the future is unknown, but right now I will be able to work in Bellevue so if (big if) I still am working on the east side, I have no problem at all living somewhere like Snoqualmie, Fall city, North Bend, Preston, etc. I have no desire to live in the city of Seattle or the city of Bellevue.
Your point? Snoqualmie, Fall City, North Bend.. Have you checked the rents in these places? These are not the nicest towns, yet the cost of living is high and the commute is quite far, especially to Seattle. I believe the original post was about Seattle, not Bellevue, but Bellevue obviously is quite expensive to live as well. I, originally wanted to live out in teh Snoqualmie area, but a Middle Class salary won't get you much more than a box even in the cheaper Suburbs, like you describe.

Quote:
I dont and wont be having kids, so schools do not matter either. Something like this would be even way MORE than I'd need:
No kids? How typical, not many people in Seattle want kids. And, it makes sense! It's hard enough for a 20-30 something year old to make a living, now how is he going to survive with a few extra mouths to feed.

Quote:
16430 266th Ave Se, Issaquah, WA, 98027 | (MLS # 359368) Homes.com

I guess my question is, are there any people on here with a combined income of $100,000k or less that are/were able to purchase at a 500,000-600,000 price point that have any tips/success stories to share?
Um... Half a million dollar homes are what you are calling affordable? Well, considering that maybe you come from a background where half a million dollar home is economical, then through your perspective, indeed, that is not a big deal. But for the majority of less-privileged Americans, that is an extraordinary amount of money and not attainable, even with a combined salary of 100k. Especially, if you consider all the property taxes, cost of raising kids (which you don't have to worry about) and other living expenses. If you live in Fall City you will be paying lot of money in gas to commute to your Bellevue job in rush hour.

Quote:
An idea:

Get a inexpensive place (condo, etc.) first (around 200k), pay it off in 15 years, and then rent it out to someone for a competitive price (let's say $1200 a month) and then use most of that 1200 to help pay a greater mortgage (so, 30-40% of my second mortgage will be paid by a renter per month). Does this make sense?
[/quote]
Oh yeah, that's real easy, just become a landlord. Do you realize how risky being a landlord can be? What if a tenant damages your place and bails. What if you cannot afford to own two differnet properties? What if the place stays vacant for a while , while you are still having to pay your high mortage rates, plus property taxes? This is quite a gamble and not a feasible investment for people who are barely making enough to survive and make their house payments or rent.

And, for the majority of people who rent, $1200/mo doesn't get you crap in the Seattle or Eastside. You are stuck living in some crappy apartment. You would be hard pressed to even be able to buy a property you could rent out for less than $2000/mo, as unless youc an afford to buy a large apartment complex, you would be stuck buying a luxury condo or house, which are not cheap anywhere in Seattle. Even housing in the ghetto neighborhoods is more than the upscale neighborhoods of most cities.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
It most cases, the single family residence is the most stupid expenditure you could possibly have. If you go at it right about your housing, almost anyone can retire in the USA in 10 years and quite a few can do it in 6 years.
Please explain.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 PM

872 posts, read 2,030,031 times
Rotsecherut,

I could write flowing paragraphs and respond to your typical negative Nancy posts and answers, but I think you've already made my point for me.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Rotsecherut,

I could write flowing paragraphs and respond to your typical negative Nancy posts and answers, but I think you've already made my point for me.

Thanks!
Didn't think you could refute my last post.. An old adage is that Truth silences its adversaries.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 PM

872 posts, read 2,030,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Didn't think you could refute my last post.. An old adage is that Truth silences its adversaries.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 AM

195 posts, read 377,879 times
Quote:

I guess my question is, are there any people on here with a combined income of $100,000k or less that are/were able to purchase at a 500,000-600,000 price point that have any tips/success stories to share?
Buy something less expensive, have less "mortgage payment" stress and be happy ?

We spent far less than that on our (very nice for us) home, and can easily make the payments ....

Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 AM

123 posts, read 245,158 times
Default Everett

Take a look at Everett.

A number of homes under $200K.
Yes, its not Bellevue, but personally its overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area