Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 01:55 PM

323 posts, read 377,047 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to start visiting Washington (specifically the Seattle area) several times a year for the foreseeable future. We're hoping to start scoping out places to eventually buy a vacation/retirement home.

My wife has been looking mainly at Issaquah, as her main draw is something close(ish) to amenities and Seattle but back in a forest-like setting.

Any thoughts about some areas for us to short list to check out this year? We'll probably be coming up in March, again in August, and possibly again in December, each time for 3-4 days over weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 02:22 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Issaquah is nice but you're paying a premium for the good schools and relatively easy commute, which aren't going to give you much value if you're retired.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:05 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Add another twenty miles out from the perimeter beyond Issaquah, in whatever direction suits, to escape commuting problems and inflated prices. I live in Kirkland because it is convenient to tech centers and mass transit, plus is a great investment and appreciating asset while I am working. However: post-retirement, odds-are I'm fleeing to Poulsbo or similar (any number of places detached from the metro commute corridors and significant expensive. This state, or another.)

Old 02-07-2015, 09:00 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Look at Bainbridge or Vashon Islands, Fall City, Snoqualmie or Duvall.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
For a vacation then retirement home, I'd suggest getting a little farther out. For example, if you like mountains and woods, Cle Elum, still only about an hour to Issaquah for major shopping, 20-30 minutes longer to Seattle. If you prefer salt water consider Poulsbo or Port Townsend, both are a ferry ride and 20-45 minutes drive to Seattle. If your budget permits, you can still buy a buildable lot in more remote parts of Issaquah such as Squak Mountain. I have seen some at about $150k, but without utilities in, and our construction cost is over $200/sf now, not counting the architect.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM

36 posts, read 46,248 times
What are the nicest suburbs of Seattle? The most notable among locals or just in general. I have no idea.

Like the Main Line Philly equivalent or say the Bucks County PA equivalent? Places with unique homes and wooded areas vs developments.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimetoMoveOutWest View Post
What are the nicest suburbs of Seattle? The most notable among locals or just in general. I have no idea.

Like the Main Line Philly equivalent or say the Bucks County PA equivalent? Places with unique homes and wooded areas vs developments.
Before answering this question, some info on your housing budget would be helpful? And how do you define nicest? I, for instance, find the the term "nice suburb" an oxymoron - I prefer to live in Seattle itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area