Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about crazy Seattle sports fans
Ack! Enough with the stupid Seagulls flags! 22 52.38%
Hello, they're Seahawks and they're number 1! 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:00 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

"Abhorrent"? That's a mite bit melodramatic. There aren't many things that unite people in a city across all walks of life. Unity is good, however imperfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 10:08 AM

139 posts, read 155,761 times
So basically, you're looking for affirmation to justify your bigoted view ? I don't watch football but I understand the euphoria of sports. Do you feel the same about soccer fans who tend to be much more violent or is it because American football is mostly watched only by Americans that you have this particular disdain ?

Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Personally, I enjoyed seeing how the city came together as the Seahawks started becoming contenders. I liked seeing the gazillions of people that were downtown for their victory parade two years ago.

Frankly, I'm not quite sure what the huge issue is with people wearing Seahawks (or any other team) clothing, or flying flags. And, to find it "revolting" or "abhorrent"? Perhaps a little bit of perspective would be in order.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:57 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
...I get that people think it's fun and brings people together, but it is just another form of tribalism that gives people an excuse to act like lowly animals and behave in thoughtless manners, losing sight of what is really important. I understand people thinking it's casually fun, but to become emotionally affected personally makes me sad about the state of humans and how stupid most of them are...

So much seriousness and disgust about something that is meant to be fun!! I'll play along though...

Since you're making an effort to approach sports fandom academically, I would warn that "tribalism" is not "lowly" or dangerous as a means of connecting people in unity. Community is a wonderful thing! In fact, it increases health and well-being. However, "tribalism" becomes very dangerous (and shows how "stupid" humans can be) when it includes egocentricity to a level that removes your ability to recognize that those who have different customs, beliefs, interests... are equally valid and valuable in their perspectives. To abhor sports fandom as some inconceivable form of human behavior is the worst kind of tribalism because you believe your own "tribe" of thinking is better/smarter/more valid. It's not. That's ridiculous and dangerous. It is bigotry, plain and simple. Celebrate diversity!! People are not less than you because they care about different things. You have the opportunity to examine yourself more honestly by celebrating and validating those who are not like you. THAT is truly "what is important."

How Being A Sports Fan Makes You Happier And Healthier

From my counter-perspective as a sports fan, it's also really fun to be a part of the energy of a sports event and root for something that is just good fun. Get to know the stories of many of the players and coaches on those fields, recognize the feats of human athleticism that they accomplish (pretty amazing what the human machine can do!), and see if you can keep yourself from rooting for them, just a little.

I'll also add that I never cease to be amazed at the way my FIL (a retired NFL scout) manages to strike up conversations with strangers and make new friends ALL OVER THE WORLD, simple by wearing a hat or a shirt with his team's logo. The way he uses that to connect with people is one of the things I love best about him.

Until next year, Seahawks fans! What a valiant effort to come back from a dire situation on Sunday!

Old 01-19-2016, 05:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Since moving here I have found plenty of great things about this city, but I find it very odd how common it is to see someone wearing a Seagulls scarf/beanie, and the "12th man" flags. Gee whiz, I sure hope the whole city isn't engulfed in this mania. I detest sports fandom in general. I just wanted to make a poll to see how many Seattlites on here sympathize with being crazy enough over any local team to sport the attire and whatever else that goes with the craze, and sane people.
What a strange thing to detest!
Now, if you had said you detest domestic violence, child abuse, racism, misogyny - or any other aspect of "man's inhumanity to man" - I think you'd get a lot of support.
But sports fandom? Really?
I just don't get how sports fans - obnoxious as they may be at times - are worthy of such strong feelings...

Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
are you abhorrent, minou

Old 01-19-2016, 07:55 PM

174 posts, read 190,410 times
I am aware that team sports fandom are conducive to community bonding, but they give people a poor reason for that. They, like sports, divide people, creating an us vs. them dynamic -- and over something so mundane as a ball. Like I said, I don't see the harm in casual enjoyment of a game, but when it becomes engrained in someone's sense of identity and even drives them to violence (think of the rioting over the Canucks up in Vancouver a few years back), that is worrisome.

I think that anything that drives tribalistic behavior, violence, and division (especially when the matter is throwing a ball around) is not conducive to societal health.

Here is an interesting article on how sports and tribalism are so interwoven: Of Touchdowns and Tribalism*|*Michael Taft

Old 01-19-2016, 07:58 PM

174 posts, read 190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
What a strange thing to detest!
Now, if you had said you detest domestic violence, child abuse, racism, misogyny - or any other aspect of "man's inhumanity to man" - I think you'd get a lot of support.
But sports fandom? Really?
I just don't get how sports fans - obnoxious as they may be at times - are worthy of such strong feelings...
One thing being worse than another does not vindicate it.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:17 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
I've become luke warm on professional sports, and am down on football, in general. But when it comes to UW Volleyball or Softball, I can be pretty rabid.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Like I said, I don't see the harm in casual enjoyment of a game, but when it becomes engrained in someone's sense of identity and even drives them to violence (think of the rioting over the Canucks up in Vancouver a few years back), that is worrisome.

I think that anything that drives tribalistic behavior, violence, and division (especially when the matter is throwing a ball around) is not conducive to societal health.
How do you jump from people sporting Seahawks garb to violence and riots?

Honestly, I think the fact that you find the clothing and flags "revolting" says a lot more about you than the vast majority of people wearing or flying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area