Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about crazy Seattle sports fans
Ack! Enough with the stupid Seagulls flags! 22 52.38%
Hello, they're Seahawks and they're number 1! 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:26 PM

174 posts, read 190,363 times

Advertisements

Since moving here I have found plenty of great things about this city, but I find it very odd how common it is to see someone wearing a Seagulls scarf/beanie, and the "12th man" flags. Gee whiz, I sure hope the whole city isn't engulfed in this mania. I detest sports fandom in general. I just wanted to make a poll to see how many Seattlites on here sympathize with being crazy enough over any local team to sport the attire and whatever else that goes with the craze, and sane people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 09:33 PM

486 posts, read 842,791 times
If it has bothered you that much, maybe you need better control to just ignore it?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Well, I am not a Seattleite but can tell you that Seattle, or WA in general, is not unique in that regard. Denver Donco worship was ever-present in greater Denver, and Patriot/Red Sox/Bruins madness in eastern MA.

However, I still have yet to see any other team worshipped like the Donco dork who had an expensive new SUV entirely painted and logoed with the object of his fetish, errr, fanaticism.

There probably IS a vehicle similarly garish-ized in worship of the Seagulls. I just have not seen it. Lots of hats, shirts, jackets, pennants, etc, though.

I love game days--because that is a good time to hike, bike, and enjoy the outdoors with fewer people around! And that is where you will find other folks who couldn't care less about pro ball sports. So ignore the attire and go have some fun without a TV.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:38 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Your poll could use another option:

Completely indifferent

I don't get excited one way or the other.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
odd? Many areas of the country have passionate fans (Check out the south and SEC schools for some serious fans) and quite frankly it can pull together a city in a unique way and create a special experience. If your not into it that's no big deal but many are and I am not sure its odd, certainly not unusual, especially when your team has the kind of success they have recently experienced.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
So you move to Seattle where the Seahawks are the home team (along with Sounders, Mariners, etc.) and you complain about the fans?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Sports are so boring to me. When they are playing on a TV somewhere, my eyes glaze over to the point where it's just moving color and noise.

I especially hate what my daughter calls "those sports yelling shows" playing in the background in various establishments. I do understand that people get excited about sports, but, please, why yell into the TV or radio mike? I just don't get why they can't have their sports discussions at a normal pitch and volume. I could then tune it out so much more easily.

I see Seagull stuff everywhere, and I register it, but I find it at best irritating and at worst maddening. I can't help thinking about all that passion and energy being wasted, not to mention all the money spent on stadiums and salaries, and for what? Nothing that helps mankind.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 PM

174 posts, read 190,363 times
I was exaggerating, it doesn't bother me that much, though I find it revolting (sort of the way I feel when I see piles of litter on the ground, but try not to look long enough that it bothers me). And yeah, on second thought it's not odd in the way you may have thought I meant (that Seattle is more unusual than most cities) but I don't understand what drives people to be into sports to the point they choose their outfits and deck out their trucks with it.
Pikabike -- I have seen huge SUVs here with two huge #12 flags a few times.
I get that people think it's fun and brings people together, but it is just another form of tribalism that gives people an excuse to act like lowly animals and behave in thoughtless manners, losing sight of what is really important. I understand people thinking it's casually fun, but to become emotionally affected personally makes me sad about the state of humans and how stupid most of them are.
To those of you who don't care, I didn't make a poll item for you on purpose. It was just for those who are strongly opposed or huge fans of sports (including but not limited to Seahawks).
It uplifts me to hear of people who recognizes how dumb it is (that and religion, but that's a topic for another thread...although to me, religion and sports fandom are very similar).

Old 01-19-2016, 09:46 AM

714 posts, read 747,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
I was exaggerating, it doesn't bother me that much, though I find it revolting (sort of the way I feel when I see piles of litter on the ground, but try not to look long enough that it bothers me). And yeah, on second thought it's not odd in the way you may have thought I meant (that Seattle is more unusual than most cities) but I don't understand what drives people to be into sports to the point they choose their outfits and deck out their trucks with it.
Pikabike -- I have seen huge SUVs here with two huge #12 flags a few times.
I get that people think it's fun and brings people together, but it is just another form of tribalism that gives people an excuse to act like lowly animals and behave in thoughtless manners, losing sight of what is really important. I understand people thinking it's casually fun, but to become emotionally affected personally makes me sad about the state of humans and how stupid most of them are.
To those of you who don't care, I didn't make a poll item for you on purpose. It was just for those who are strongly opposed or huge fans of sports (including but not limited to Seahawks).
It uplifts me to hear of people who recognizes how dumb it is (that and religion, but that's a topic for another thread...although to me, religion and sports fandom are very similar).

Yeah sort of, but as a sports fan, I can prove that my idols actually exist. Also, I'd never kill or hurt anyone for my sports idols.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:00 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
Since moving here I have found plenty of great things about this city, but I find it very odd how common it is to see someone wearing a Seagulls scarf/beanie, and the "12th man" flags. Gee whiz, I sure hope the whole city isn't engulfed in this mania. I detest sports fandom in general. I just wanted to make a poll to see how many Seattlites on here sympathize with being crazy enough over any local team to sport the attire and whatever else that goes with the craze, and sane people.
be a bit more open minded and tolerant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area