Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about crazy Seattle sports fans
Ack! Enough with the stupid Seagulls flags! 22 52.38%
Hello, they're Seahawks and they're number 1! 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:08 PM

65 posts, read 97,412 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but people painting their houses lime green and blue makes ZERO sense to me personally. This coming from someone growing up in a city surrounded by Kansas City Chiefs fans. I've never ever ever seen anything like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
And following sports is one thing that makes millions of fans very happy, they don't do it because its a chore. Life would be boring if everyone had the same interests and passions. You asked the question and many have responded to which you seem to continue to argue with their point of view rather than learning why people think differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post

I think the ultimate goal of living is to be happy.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:48 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
I was exaggerating, it doesn't bother me that much, though I find it revolting (sort of the way I feel when I see piles of litter on the ground, but try not to look long enough that it bothers me). And yeah, on second thought it's not odd in the way you may have thought I meant (that Seattle is more unusual than most cities) but I don't understand what drives people to be into sports to the point they choose their outfits and deck out their trucks with it.
Let me see if i have this right:

You move here and are offended by a sports team that you don't have to follow, and by the fans who wear clothing that has their logo on it etc? Really? That's what you can't stand? It seems to have little effect on your life, unless you let it, which clearly you do. Who's the odd one?

More importantly, you see litter on the ground and try to quickly stop looking? Wow, your certainly a special kind of citizen aren't you? How about instead of berating others for having an interest in sports, you bend down and pick up the litter? You know, make the world a better place etc? Personally, I'm way more offended by someone who sees litter/pollution and then ignores it.

Last edited by Yakscsd; 01-22-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 10:14 AM

14,484 posts, read 12,114,400 times
People are nothing if not funny.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:26 AM

21 posts, read 19,384 times
I moved here and really couldn't care less about pro sports, and find some of the fandom excessive, but by and large the only time it impacts my life is when I forget there's a home game and try to drive anywhere near the stadium (a mistake I only had to make once). The rest of the time I just ignore it as part of the background. I will admit I'm shocked at how expensive Seahawks tickets are though and that so many people willingly pay such sums.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:40 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Sports fandom is by far less offensive, or dangerous to the non-believer, than nationalistic zeal or religious fervor. Sports meets that human impulse for melding into group identity and demonizing the enemy. Additionally, football is actually a fairly cerebral game despite the injuries. Just read world news and you may thank your lucky stars that you only have a blue and green house in the neighborhood.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:38 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
People who think NFL fans are aggressive have no idea what soccer fans around the world do.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I sort of get it. I've never been much of a football fan. Over the years I've been taken to a couple of Seahawk games, and didn't hate them. But the fans are too noisy. That's why I'm a baseball fan. Much quieter, especially if your team is the Seattle Mariners. Nothing happens for long periods, so there's not much getting up and screaming. They've been a mostly losing franchise for so long that the fanbase is much smaller than that of the Seahawks. It's pretty unusual to see houses decorated in Mariners pennants and flags. Because it's a quieter sport, people in the stands have time to look at baseball statistics, or do a crossword puzzle, or take a nap. My kind of game. Go Mariners.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
I am not a fan of any pro ball sports, period. The fan mania turns me off when it is over the top. Yet I still find it easy to just shrug and let them enjoy what they like while I enjoy doing something else. Honestly, OP has made a valid and not that uncommon feeling known, and that should be good enough. What does he or she propose, bans on cheering for teams?!? Let it go.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:41 PM

174 posts, read 190,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I am not a fan of any pro ball sports, period. The fan mania turns me off when it is over the top. Yet I still find it easy to just shrug and let them enjoy what they like while I enjoy doing something else. Honestly, OP has made a valid and not that uncommon feeling known, and that should be good enough. What does he or she propose, bans on cheering for teams?!? Let it go.
Banning it? No. If anything, by voicing my opinions on this matter, I would only hope to get people to question their fervent allegiance, and realize that their actions are motivated not by rational, intelligent thought but by tribalistic tendencies. I hope that people can understand that acting on those impulses to behave in that way is harmful to us.

People may feel a rush of exhilaration when the team they have so strongly identified with scores some points, and they may very well enjoy displaying their unwavering devotion to their precious Seahawks, Mariners etc., group but it is thoughtless and contrary to human progress.

In a world where 85% of the world is affiliated with a religious group, of course it would be viewed as ridiculous for me to criticize sports fandom. Sadly, humanity is far, far off from rational living.

Here's a good article about human tribalism from Big Think if anyone's interested: http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and-...more-dangerous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area