Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:11 AM

681 posts, read 1,047,055 times

Advertisements

So I moved here about 2 months ago, or just before 2 months knowing this was the season that not much is done outdoors, I want to explore a bit and I've done the downtown thing, I want to see some nature and scenery that don't require me driving into the mountains with all the snow, so is there anywhere in this general area not in the city where I can go to get some views that won't require a 2+ hour long drive? I'm saving all the other stuff for the spring.

I know of Alki beach and have been there a few times, I love it but it's always so hard to find a place to park for me even if I drive to the end.

but anyways, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Snoqualmie Falls, the park along the river in Carnation, fish hatchery in Issaquah.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:51 AM

8,178 posts, read 8,324,501 times
Cheers Erik,

Carkeek Park, Seward Park, Discovery Park are amazing in town hikes, great parking. Even if it is drizzling, it is lovely and there are trees to pop under for a minute. Have you taken the ferry from West Seattle to Vashon Island with your car? It's a quick 20 minute ride over and a great place to drive around and explore. How about some locals museums? Wing Luke in the International District is exceptional (the museum of Seattle Asian American experience, did you know Bruce Lee lived for years and is buried here).

Here are a few excellent ones:

Wing Luke (Asian American Migration and Experience in Seattle) http://www.wingluke.org..Chinese New year Sat 1/28
The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture http://www.burkemuseum.org
Frye Art Museum http://fryemuseum.org
MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry) http://www.mohai.org
Boeing future of flight and museum tour 30 minutes north of Seattle: https://www.futureofflight.org/boeing-tour-seattle

Many other idea but I'll let others chime in.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-18-2017 at 06:07 AM..

Old 01-18-2017, 10:48 AM

737 posts, read 1,463,990 times
Lincoln Park in West Seattle is amazing. Seahurst Park in Burien is amazing. Great views and tons of walking trails. Tons of parking etc.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,084,728 times
More like 90 min. each way (or 90 min in one direction and an hour in the other) but a trip to Deception Pass at the top of Whidbey Island, and a return via the Skagit Valley (or vice versa) in winter is great. Deception Pass is the narrow gap between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands, and at tide change the water comes through like a freight train. VERY impressive. Deception Pass State Park (on both sides of the SR 20 bridges) is gorgeous, with trails and beaches. Deception Pass is in something of a "rain shadow" from the Olympic mountains, so a little less rainy than Seattle or other parts of the central Sound. Check the tide tables and if possible be there right in the middle of a flood or ebb tide.

Back on the mainland, in the winter thousands and thousands of migratory snow geese hang out in the Skagit Valley, and when they flock off it's downright stunning. Stop there going or coming, maybe visit La Conner while you're in the area - very cute waterfront town.

If you can spare a half day, turning it into a "loop" through Whidbey and Mukilteo is a fabulous drive.

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/LWKwAmyDr1M2

Deception Pass:

and

Snow geese, Skagit Valley -

Old 01-18-2017, 11:49 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
Lincoln Park in West Seattle is amazing. Seahurst Park in Burien is amazing. Great views and tons of walking trails. Tons of parking etc.
The West Seattle waterfront parks are amazing!

But the OP is asking about what to do outside the city. Aren't you, OP? That's what the thread title says.

You can take ferry rides, and explore Bainbridge Island or the Kitsap Peninsula. Usually in winter people go skiing, but you said you don't want to get involved with snow. You could take the ferry from Edmonds, and drive up to Port Townsend, and explore the downtown.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:19 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,161,294 times
Head up Mount Loop Highway, outside of Granite Falls. Time the traffic such that you're not in that Everett mess, however (weekend much better).

End of the Highway, in the winter, may be various places. At best, it is at the Monte Cristo road cutoff. The road further north from there is absolutely fascinating, btw, but is best for medium clearance cars and trucks due to the ruts and/or Adventure bikes: I have the latter and love running that section in the summer for some deep Cascades intrigue. That's gated off roughly five months/year, depending on conditions. I rode it on my 'Duc back c. late October for the last time until summer '17.

Prior to that is Big Four Ice Caves hike, an easy one that is nonetheless both popular and scenic. Take one look, you'll understand why.

I've completed many of the hikes available on that track, there are dozens. Some with interesting history attached. Others, simply spectacular views. I'm guessing most are closed in the winter so hikers don't become a permanent part of the geologic record (= avalanches).

They tend to gate up various parts of the road past Silverton (I think) in the winter if we have tons of snow, which is definitely this year. Even when gated up, it's an interesting drive out there for sure along the 'Stilly. That's a wild river with occasional dangerous floods that do quite a bit of damage (or "geomorphological modification") in a short amount of time. If you care about history, it's a fascinating story about the rail line that used to run all the way to Monte Cristo. There are artifacts still visible along the route, if you research a bit where to look. That they kept it open at all was astounding, due to the roughness of the terrain and unpredictable river.

It's really a fun drive, I may take it myself next few days especially if snowed in: haven't seen that in a few years.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:33 PM

14,547 posts, read 12,179,244 times
Second the vote for some ferry rides.... That's an easy trip.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:36 PM

737 posts, read 1,463,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The West Seattle waterfront parks are amazing!

But the OP is asking about what to do outside the city. Aren't you, OP? That's what the thread title says.

You can take ferry rides, and explore Bainbridge Island or the Kitsap Peninsula. Usually in winter people go skiing, but you said you don't want to get involved with snow. You could take the ferry from Edmonds, and drive up to Port Townsend, and explore the downtown.

Eh, Lincoln Park is so far out it's not really in the city at all. That and he stated he doesn't want to drive 2+ hours to do stuff... Anyway, hope he has fun.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
Eh, Lincoln Park is so far out it's not really in the city at all. That and he stated he doesn't want to drive 2+ hours to do stuff... Anyway, hope he has fun.
2+ hrs. just to get to Lincoln Park? In whose world? And did you notice the OP asked for things to do outside the city? Even if you count Lincoln Park as outside the city, vs. inside, it would fit OP's criteria.
There's also Schmitz Preserve Park, which has old growth forest. West Seattle has many treasures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area