Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Ruth, are you sure that isn't a scam? OP, any cheap rental ads should be considered with a tablespoon of salt, lots of people are being scammed out here. I don't know how bad your disability is, but that ad was was for second and third story apartments and you did mention needing to use a wheelchair.

OP, you have no rent, no mortgage, no credit and you can't make ends meet on $1,100 a month, how will moving to a much more expensive state, paying rent, paying more for just about everything make that budget work?

Again, countless people have moved to this state thinking that it would help them, "give them a hand up," but it won't, hence the reason the homeless population keeps growing. Housing prices go up, rental prices soar and services to the needy get slashed to pay for what voters care about and helping the poor is not how people vote. Why do you think this move will make things better for you?
Any listings people post aren't for the OP to actually take. They're for the OP to gauge the market, and the difference in price between one city and another. It's a tool, not literally an apartment for the OP. The OP won't be arriving for another 3 weeks or so (assuming they actually use the tickets they say they have), and will arrive in Seattle, not Olympia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:53 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Another example: https://olympic.craigslist.org/apa/d...294626839.html (1 bd, ground floor, $535)

Note: There is no Greyhound, Trailways, or other commercial busline to Aberdeen or Hoquiam. You have to go to Olympia and then catch the Grays Harbor Transit Route 40 bus from there.

Grays Harbor Transit! > Bus Schedules & Maps

http://www.ghtransit.com/Portals/40/...b-Hoq.4-17.pdf

Old 09-19-2017, 01:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdad1969 View Post
I have not much of a clue of were to start out,I am in a wheelchair and am moving with my wife to the Seattle area . I'm trying to find affordable housing first off. We are coming in by bus on October 9th.any post I've help will be appreciated , no negativity or disabled flaming please!
Whats the reason for the move? if you are stable where you are now why risk everything for a move to Washington?

Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
I bought non refundable bus tickets already and all we have is 500 cash so I guess I'll have my wife stay home and I'll come to Washington for the assisted suicide since everyone says there's no way to survive in Washington in my position , it's either make it or take a dirt nap I'm all out of choices.
If this is your objective, buy a Bolt Bus ticket to Oregon. WA is FAR more difficult to find a DR to comply than OR (WA DR's fought the measure tooth and nail, but OR funded the WA 'yes' vote)
Oregon is MUCH more 'suicide 'friendly', and many groups to coach you through. (WA will be a legal / expensive nightmare in comparison).

You can get a 'free' place at Dignity Village in Portland (Bus transport, no need for a car)
https://dignityvillage.org/
No Sales tax (save more money), you will never need to pay OR income tax at your income levels. You can get BIG bucks asking for money on nearby freeways (I hear ~30 - 50k / yr) Bring a sad and hungry looking dog (that helps bring in more $$), you can probably share someone else's dog for part of the day (cheaper to borrow that to own a dog). I bought my daily driver at a Portland towing auction. $35 for the car, and it burns FREE cooking oil and gets 50mpg doing it... Oregon has 24 month registrations, so buy a car with good plates and not register it, and you can get by very CHEAP (as long as you don't get stopped). Worse case... you park your $35 car and let it get towed (under previous owners name). Then you go buy another (people do it every week). At one time they were selling over 600 / week! I think it is under 100 / week at the moment. Motorhomes usually go for under $200, but they are often full of trash. If you are homeless, you can just throw the trash out on the street. Portland has FREE / unobstructed street camping... it is VERY popular, homeless population is exploding. Come quickly to get a spot on a park.

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...5YDykQ_AUIDCgD
Now Seattle wants to copy Portland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Whats the reason for the move? if you are stable where you are now why risk everything for a move to Washington?
but... if you are VA eligible.. you cannot beat this WA solution!!!
http://www.dva.wa.gov/veteran-homes/...e-port-orchard

Fantastic View!! + FREE room and board (including spouse if needed / eligible)
hourly Kitsap transit Bus service + free ferry tickets to get to Seattle.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:25 PM

16 posts, read 24,628 times
I told you guys what my health issues are .i used to live in North Dakota on the Minnesota border and Minnesota is a giant meth lab , the twin cities I.e Minneapolis/saint Paul is worse than south side Chicago, we used to get the evening news from Minnesota since we were on the border and the twin cities are a shooting gallery gang shootings everywhere it's horrible but the state hides it to keep buissnesses and misinformed relocaters coming in , everyone moving into North Dakota was running from gang violence in Minnesota,crips and bloods relocate to Minnesota to start new clicks . We sold our home in North Dakota that we bought to be closer to my daughter going to college there bc the healthcare system there nearly killed me with surgerical procedures that weren't needed and misdiagnosing a life threatening lung issue ,that's why I only have one operating lung and am on oxygen and yes my doctor spoke to doctors in Washington and due to in adequate care in Ohio the doctors in Washington have seen my history and can provide the proper care to extend my life and give me a quality of life . What ever negative thoughts you have of me are wrong , every social worker and doctor says get out here so we can help you, I can't say and you guys don't know the absolute misery the state of Ohio and it's doctors have inflicted on me since we moved back for my four way bypass which wouldn't have been needed if certain things would have even been spotted by the north Dakota doctors. All some of you do is fixate on rents in Seattle no says anything when I mentioned brinnon or any of the other outlying areas or rv campgrounds I've spoken to , yes it will be a hardship bc I can only stand assisted for 10 seconds and take 2-3 steps before I fall . I don't mind living where the guy who works at Burger King lives or the woman who stocks the produce at the Korean market. I'm not going to ruin "your" Seattle area I want tiny piece of Washington state that I can proudly call home , as long as it's an hour or two from the doctors I need to see.i think I'm willing to live where most of you wouldn't , like around the corner or down the street from the bar with all the Harley's out front or next door to Hells angels or bandidos or seattles only all African American 1% motorcycle club, maybe that's what you call ghetto or seedy , if I have to rent an rv in silver lake or up by port angeles so be it ,500 a month with all utilities included doesn't sound bad compared to what a lot of you are saying. I not your enemy or a heroin addict or the guy digging through your trash but that's how a lot of you treated me with your " I don't know how you expect Seattle to solve your problems" I'm sorry ohio and it's leadership are going down the toilet , all I know is I'm not going to let them take me with them .

Old 09-19-2017, 02:42 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
I told you guys what my health issues are .i used to live in North Dakota on the Minnesota border and Minnesota is a giant meth lab , the twin cities I.e Minneapolis/saint Paul is worse than south side Chicago, we used to get the evening news from Minnesota since we were on the border and the twin cities are a shooting gallery gang shootings everywhere it's horrible but the state hides it to keep buissnesses and misinformed relocaters coming in , everyone moving into North Dakota was running from gang violence in Minnesota,crips and bloods relocate to Minnesota to start new clicks . We sold our home in North Dakota that we bought to be closer to my daughter going to college there bc the healthcare system there nearly killed me with surgerical procedures that weren't needed and misdiagnosing a life threatening lung issue ,that's why I only have one operating lung and am on oxygen and yes my doctor spoke to doctors in Washington and due to in adequate care in Ohio the doctors in Washington have seen my history and can provide the proper care to extend my life and give me a quality of life . What ever negative thoughts you have of me are wrong , every social worker and doctor says get out here so we can help you, I can't say and you guys don't know the absolute misery the state of Ohio and it's doctors have inflicted on me since we moved back for my four way bypass which wouldn't have been needed if certain things would have even been spotted by the north Dakota doctors. All some of you do is fixate on rents in Seattle no says anything when I mentioned brinnon or any of the other outlying areas or rv campgrounds I've spoken to , yes it will be a hardship bc I can only stand assisted for 10 seconds and take 2-3 steps before I fall . I don't mind living where the guy who works at Burger King lives or the woman who stocks the produce at the Korean market. I'm not going to ruin "your" Seattle area I want tiny piece of Washington state that I can proudly call home , as long as it's an hour or two from the doctors I need to see.i think I'm willing to live where most of you wouldn't , like around the corner or down the street from the bar with all the Harley's out front or next door to Hells angels or bandidos or seattles only all African American 1% motorcycle club, maybe that's what you call ghetto or seedy , if I have to rent an rv in silver lake or up by port angeles so be it ,500 a month with all utilities included doesn't sound bad compared to what a lot of you are saying. I not your enemy or a heroin addict or the guy digging through your trash but that's how a lot of you treated me with your " I don't know how you expect Seattle to solve your problems" I'm sorry ohio and it's leadership are going down the toilet , all I know is I'm not going to let them take me with them .
A dilapidated mobile home somewhere in Eastern Washington might be the answer if the home in Ohio can be sold. Otherwise, finding a rentable place for $500 a month including utilities in Western Washington seems extremely unlikely unless looking at Hoquiam which is three hours to the closest doctor and filled with the same people being claimed to fill Minneapolis. We have relatives in Minneapolis and they have never ever mentioned such things there though. It sounds like there is an unrealistic fixation on Seattle. People are genuinely trying to be honest here. No one wants to see a very sick person in a wheelchair take a bus to Seattle with $500 to their name only to end up homeless when they actually own a home where they came from.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:48 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
OP, we're trying to gently tell you that your ideal RV, trailer home, etc., for $500 a month surrounded by hard working blue collar workers with great social services doesn't exist here and that you are risking homelessness by making this very ill conceived move. If you find a landlord willing to rent to you, they are the ones renting to meth head and drug addicts, your neighbors are going to be as bad if not as worse then you are use to.

No one wants to be homeless, but there are major homeless encampments because many people in your exact situation thinks that Washington will help them. Yeah, Seattle is very liberal, but most of the rest of the state is very red and maybe even more conservative then Ohio and it's leadership. Your governor at least wanted to expand healthcare, while lots of politicians in WA are actually against that.

You can of course do what you want, but if you think your situation is bad right now, imagine living in a tent in the winter which many people do. Research our homeless crisis, look at the pictures of the encampment and ask yourself what happens if you can't find some slum lord to rent to you.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I wouldn't count on anything in the Bremerton area in Kitsap county being affordable. Now that they're building apartments for Seattle workers, rents over here are going sky high. Studios in the new apartment buildings here are going for $800/month, last I heard.

OP, anything on the Seattle side of the water is going to be too expensive. I'll be living on a couple hundred more bucks than you and I'm not even thinking of trying to live anywhere from Bellingham down to Tacoma. When I first came out here, I already had an apartment lined up with the first month's rent paid, a job, and the moving expenses paid for. You can come out here with $500, but that will get you about 3 nights in a hotel room if you're lucky and that's it. And how are you planning to move out here, anyway? In 2001, it cost me a ton of money to rent a U-haul and drive up here, towing my car. And it'd be a lot more now.

And by the way, $500 isn't even going to get you in the door. Landlords here want first, last and security upfront, a clean credit report, and usually a recommendation from your previous landlord. The cheapest places I know of are trailer parks and they're renting now for over $600 and $700 per month.

Section 8 over here is by lottery - you could enter the Section 8 lottery for the rest of your life and not get a voucher. Even if you do get on the list and/or get a voucher, the rate of people finding landlords to take this voucher was only at about 64% year before last. If you don't find someone to take your voucher after 6 months, it goes back into the pool.

And I wouldn't count on getting a lot of money in food stamps. As I said, I'm getting just a little more than you and right now, I'm eligible for only $15/month in food stamps.

There are low income places to live around this area but again, most of them have been bought out by investors for the Seattle workers and the tenants are all kicked out for remodeling. When remodeling is done, the rents are too high for most of the former tenants to get back in. So be aware if you find low cost housing around the Bremerton area, it may not be for long.

I'd say sell your house first. Then when you have upwards of $20,000 or $30,000+ in cash in your hand, that would be the time to come out here.

When my final back payment for disability comes in next year, I'll be spending $20,000 on land (I hope) and because that will take everything I've got, I plan to car camp for another couple years to save to get a place to put on that land. I'm lots older than you and while I have a pretty debilitating physical problem, I'm not in danger of dying anytime soon. But this is what it's coming down to for people to find and keep a place to live.
This is the hard truth , I got a letter the Friday before I posted this from the state of Ohio telling me that my wife and would lose our $6 a month in food assistance bc the cut off income had been lowered to $900 .i got the letter today telling me the same thing but about my state medical , now I am responsible as of 9-30-17 for the 45% of my medical care and prescription cost that my disability doesn't cover (which I have Been on disability for 15 years )my monthly doctors and medicine that I will have to cover comes to approx. $15,000 a month when our only income is $1,100 a month. Whatever you see on a website is wrong I have the cold hard truth sitting in front of me . The state of Ohio doesn't want the disabled here , they want heroin addicts , the state is spending millions of dollars right now expanding drug rehabs and building new ones and building "safe injection sites"which if you look into the fine print like many Ohioans have it states " if you violate any facility rules you will be taken into custody and transferred to rehab unit for an undetermined amount of time" now from a state patrolman I spoke to and know he will be working security at a facility and the rehabs are going to be life sentences as he was briefed with others that release would be contingent upon meeting certain criteria , which he said no heroin user could meet , so I said it sounds like guatanamo bay and he agreed life long holding pens for addicts so they won't be out on the street overdosing and no legal wrangling they sign away their rights when they sign up for the safe injection sites .and yes it's happening that's why they are pushing out the people that really need assistance.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If this is your objective, buy a Bolt Bus ticket to Oregon. WA is FAR more difficult to find a DR to comply than OR (WA DR's fought the measure tooth and nail, but OR funded the WA 'yes' vote)
Oregon is MUCH more 'suicide 'friendly', and many groups to coach you through. (WA will be a legal / expensive nightmare in comparison).

You can get a 'free' place at Dignity Village in Portland (Bus transport, no need for a car)
https://dignityvillage.org/
No Sales tax (save more money), you will never need to pay OR income tax at your income levels. You can get BIG bucks asking for money on nearby freeways (I hear ~30 - 50k / yr) Bring a sad and hungry looking dog (that helps bring in more $$), you can probably share someone else's dog for part of the day (cheaper to borrow that to own a dog). I bought my daily driver at a Portland towing auction. $35 for the car, and it burns FREE cooking oil and gets 50mpg doing it... Oregon has 24 month registrations, so buy a car with good plates and not register it, and you can get by very CHEAP (as long as you don't get stopped). Worse case... you park your $35 car and let it get towed (under previous owners name). Then you go buy another (people do it every week). At one time they were selling over 600 / week! I think it is under 100 / week at the moment. Motorhomes usually go for under $200, but they are often full of trash. If you are homeless, you can just throw the trash out on the street. Portland has FREE / unobstructed street camping... it is VERY popular, homeless population is exploding. Come quickly to get a spot on a park.

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...5YDykQ_AUIDCgD
Now Seattle wants to copy Portland

but... if you are VA eligible.. you cannot beat this WA solution!!!
Washington Veterans Home Port Orchard | WDVA

Fantastic View!! + FREE room and board (including spouse if needed / eligible)
hourly Kitsap transit Bus service + free ferry tickets to get to Seattle.
Your reply was seriously rude and hateful.how dare you think that I would come and destroy , you are everything that is bad in humanity.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
I understand that what I am talking about are less expensive neighborhoods and such
Do not do this .
There are no less expensive neighborhoods . I have lived on the street before in my long LONG ago past and I implore you not to do this . I live in a less expensive neighborhood and my 2-2 apt was almost $1600 when the entire building burned in July , I am now in a 2-1 for just under 1300 because of the fire and they wanted me to stay but in my lease it says the market value is 1700 and this is NO luxury apt .

The wait lists for affordable housing are 3 years to closed ,you would have to live hours south of Seattle to see any kind of affordable anything .. I am out there looking . I am worried for you not shaming you - I want you to be certain you know that .

Please Sir , dont . You have no idea what it is like to be homeless here - in this city . You'll be in the middle of the safe injection sites and unsafe injection sites . My husband makes $1200 a week and its paycheck to paycheck ( mainly due to housing and food/ gas/ bus pass etc plus we have one teenaged girl still left at home) after 6 month layoff and he got sick and I REALLY thought we were going to be living in the car, we were preparing for it . The trailer parks here aren't what you are used too they are usually for 55 and over to purchase ,most family parks are totally full and the ones that arent run up to 800-to $1000+ and more . I am originally from Texas but got here before everything just exploded and even we are rather trapped ourselves .

I will absolutely second Perigee's post above mine - every word of that is true . I haven't read it all because I read the first two posts and felt this was an emergency I am very liberal but yes outside of this metro area can be redder that dare I say my home state of Texas . I am MARRIED to an "81" of 35 years so I have lived in some extremely rough places just to stay off the streets and had to do some mighty awful things to pay for it . As soon as we have enough money we HAVE to go . We don't want to but I cannot be homeless again in my life .
This is an area for the extremely wealthy .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 09-19-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area