Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 11:17 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
The liberal city leaders and liberal county and state judges (not municipal) are required to obey those pesky state laws.

It's too bad that the homeless are not also required to follow the pesky laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 03:54 AM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Again, I love Seattle and the PNW, but I've been researching other States to move to within the next 24 months and I can say this much, I'm now looking at the southeast part of the country now. I know for a fact that there is no such thing as a perfect city or even a State, but in my case, I'm looking for a place with a more law and order stance that is supported by the local community and with a local government that actually functions in a more factual manner than simply on emotions or empty promises.

The constant raising of taxes and governmental fees in the metro Seattle area and basically not seeing anything in return is no long acceptable to me... Heck, you can't even go into a public library anymore without smelling "that guy" who just p*ssed on himself or wondering if you're going to leave the place with a case of lice or whatever.

If I do end up moving, I can honestly say it's not in protest, since nothing I can do will ever hurt the system within Seattle/King County. Plus, for evey person leaving the metro Seattle area, five, if not more, will replace that individual. For me, it's solely based on QoL issues, which are now more important to me than watching the wasting more and more money on all the failed programs Seattle has been supporting up to now and to be honest, with no new changes in sight. I'm tired of seeing millions and millions (billions) of dollars being thrown into some Blackhole to never be seen again or even given a semi honest account on where most of the money went to... Sorry, I can't buy that 75% of the spent funds goes towards "administrative" costs.

I still like to believe that there is still hope for Seattle and the entire metro area, but people, to include myself, need to start demanding that our elected officials do their jobs and fix the problems we are facing... If not, collect enough signatures and hold special elections and vote out the ones who failed to do their jobs.

Sorry, at this point, I can't support the city/county if they try to pass another tax "claiming" that its to fund the police in order for them to do their jobs... They're currently being paid to do a job that their senior leadership doesn't what them to do... Any collected funds from whatever will end up in the general funds account... A/K/A; The Blackhole.

It's pretty sad that most of the downtown area is basically off-limits now. I still enjoy going to the Pike Place Market from time to time, but going to The Bon downtown isn't happening anymore and that's sad since that place holds a lot of good memories from my teen years and as a kid, with my mother.

If I do move, I'll continue to visit the area since home is still home. I only wish that I could still live here throughout my "golden years."

Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 16,565 times
Seattle is still easily a top five metro for quality of life, and one of the cleanest, safest cities in America. SF has a similar crisis that has gotten much more national attention - and I get he impression the problems is far more visible there - yet it still has droves of defenders. Why is it that nobody defends Seattle anymore? It isn't too hard to admit that it's objectively one of the best places to live in Norrh America.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 AM

513 posts, read 499,332 times
It is sad that the city does not seem to care about this problem. Our political "leadership" seems to prefer focusing on national issues and ignoring this problem.

Let's face it, most of these people are never going to be self-supporting or functioning in society, even if they get off drugs or get mental health treatment.

There is a real desire to downplay the trouble that the homeless cause, but it is significant. (You wouldn't want to blame the victim!) For example, my office went from having an open lobby, to needing a security guard, to needing security gates, and then making everything accessed by key. All within the last 5 years.

I also don't believe that people don't come here for benefits.

Even with self-reporting, a quarter to a third come from out of town.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ttle-for-help/

Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM

513 posts, read 499,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualnihilism View Post
Seattle is still easily a top five metro for quality of life, and one of the cleanest, safest cities in America. SF has a similar crisis that has gotten much more national attention - and I get he impression the problems is far more visible there - yet it still has droves of defenders. Why is it that nobody defends Seattle anymore? It isn't too hard to admit that it's objectively one of the best places to live in Norrh America.
It is objectively one of the best places to live in North America, IF you have money.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:49 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Seattle, San Francisco, Portland and San Diego are among the safest major US cities.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/54737215-post314.html

Old 03-21-2019, 04:00 PM

268 posts, read 358,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It’s not that bad, I walk through East Village, on Broadway, through Horton Plaza Park etc.. several days a week on a 6 mile power walk through downtown. Of course I see homeless but rarely do they bother me other than a bit of irritation and disgust but I can’t remember the last time I have even been approached or talked to by one. It is certainly was that bad several months ago until the hepatitis crisis cleared out almost all of the homeless encampments of a certain size that used to be allowed with impunity. It still is that bad in certain small quarters dt and in many of the riverbeds, canyons and some areas of parks including the crown jewel, Balboa Park.

Still, Seattle is absolutely one of my favorite cities, we visit frequently and were just up there for a great mini-vacation a couple of months ago and I just finished watching the whole report and find it shocking, tragic and compelling. Maybe a small slice of it could be considered hyperbole but I think the bulk of it speaks to a truth that every city, especially those on the West Coast should heed its message.

I for one am going to send this link to my City Council member. I can’t stand that my beautiful city as yours is constantly fighting a similar, frustrating reality that even for those of us who have a certain level of compassion for those caught up in this crisis of drugs and homelessness still firmly want some tough solutions that work to ease it. The connection of a too liberal and “compassionate” justice system from top down local (and sometimes state) government edicts completely failing the law enforcement community is what strikes me as the most compelling story here. And trust me, I’m about as liberal and compassionate as they come. But I have put down roots in my community and city and wish for it too to remain a place where rules are followed and those identifiable bad players are ejected summarily from it - either in jail, treatment or just kicked the hell out of Dodge.

I still love your beautiful city and will visit often as I do all the similarly afflicted cities on our coast, Portland, San Francisco/Oakland, LA and my own. I hope, but don’t have the greatest of confidence, in structural governmental, social changes to finally make some honest headway towards some solutions.
I am from Seattle, and have been living for the past 5 years in San D. I know the issue as I work directly for a very large non profit that assures mental and physical help ( AKA healthcare centers) for the homeless and those without insurance. While San Diego has places where the homeless gather, it is absolutely not a 'nightmare" but nevertheless very concerning.
I have seen a lot of improvements and we are now opening a social center where the homeless and needy will be medically evaluated and able to get direct administrative assistance in the same building ( job offers, housing application and certain benefits. Its a huge leap forward.

As for the documentary, while overall i found there were pockets of truth, I was very angry how they chose the one homeless man on the "100 list" who laughed that he was taking advantage of the system". This was an unfair diabolization of the general homeless population. That was a pure political statement IMHO. If we can help here in San Diego, then I have faith that Seattle will find a solution.
This said, I will always love Seattle and would have no issue to come home.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,034 times
I really feel for the lady who's attempting to be heard at this meeting. The panel members just blow her off. An honest hard-working individual who's being treated like a PITA. Absolutely infuriates me every time I watch this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJTFaWadF4&t=32s

Old 03-21-2019, 05:19 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
My family watched this Sunday and applauded it in our living room, it's about time something is done.
The situation is similar in other cities on the west coast and it's not being dealt with properly.
My hit list is:

-In-sufficient mental and drug rehab centers, more have been closed and defunded despite huge growth in the area.
-Housing shortage. We have a housing crisis, but seemingly nothing is done to encourage more housing. Water moratoriums, gophers, "wetlands", studies, and so on wrap up projects in red tape for YEARS.
-Our revolving door hand-slap liberal justice system just isn't working. A lot of these people have rap sheets pages long and are stealing and burglarizing to keep their alcohol and drugs paid for, and yet they spend a night in jail, pay no fines, and are back out on the street.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 03-21-2019 at 05:29 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 05:39 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I really feel for the lady who's attempting to be heard at this meeting. The panel members just blow her off. An honest hard-working individual who's being treated like a PITA. Absolutely infuriates me every time I watch this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJTFaWadF4&t=32s
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area