Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 09:26 PM

285 posts, read 540,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Is it any coincidence that the cities with the highest murder rates are mostly in republican states? And that the states with the highest statewide murder rates are mostly red?

Like I said, I don’t see this as a partisan issue, at least not above the local level.
Cities with high murder rates are predominantly leftist run:Top 5 most dangerous cities are :St. Louis,Detroit, Memphis, Milwaukie, Baltimore. And it is at the local level the CF is the greatest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 10:06 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
Cities with high murder rates are predominantly leftist run:Top 5 most dangerous cities are :St. Louis,Detroit, Memphis, Milwaukie, Baltimore. And it is at the local level the CF is the greatest.
So why aren’t the states stepping in to do something about it, Carly? Republican run governments for the most part. Do they not care about public safety? And why do the the cities with the lowest murder rates happen to be in liberal states?

Old 03-22-2019, 02:28 AM

4,901 posts, read 2,055,276 times
Quote:
So why aren’t the states stepping in to do something about it, Carly? Republican run governments for the most part. Do they not care about public safety? And why do the the cities with the lowest murder rates happen to be in liberal states?
Because like here in the Seattle metro area, the main population area of this State, what Seattle wants, Seattle gets. It's the same all over the country. Without the main urban centers being onboard with whatever changes, it's simply not going to happen... It's common sense, but the cities simply have the votes to enforce their view and beliefs on the rest of the State. Regardless if it's a Red or Blue State. That's why cities like Baltimore, Detroit and so many more urban centers around the country with high violent crime rates will never change.

This excludes both Vermont and New Hampshire since they're very unique small States with unique small cities... With a well armed civilian population.

Most of our large cities with liberal local governments with liberal views towards crime and policing have issues with violent crime... When the people within these cities don't trust the police and in turn, its local politicians tend to create policies that ties the hands of law enforcement. In that case, crime naturally increases. Case and point, Baltimore. Then the mayor sided with the rioters that were destroying their city and ordered the police stand-down, they did and continued to stand-down after the riots were over... Even after the mayor wanted the police to be more assertive at their jobs again. Causing violent crimes, to include murders, to spike upwards dramatically.

Seriously, what patrol officer making $50Ks to $75Ks a year, (Average income from around the country) wants to be labeled a racist, even when they're a person of color, and have their life AND their families lives torn apart on live TV... BEFORE all the facts are known? People tend to forget that cops are human to and against popular belief, are not paid to be murdered on the job, but are paid to accept that as a risk of employment... Basically the same as a combat Soldier or Marine.

Like many here, I totally agree that a more assertive policing of our cities isn't the answer, BUT!! It's a key element within the solution AND will support all the other efforts to regain and maintain control of our cities, both big and small. Simply the old carrot and stick method and without that effective community policing efforts, everything else will fail in due time.

Last edited by bergun; 03-22-2019 at 03:08 AM..

Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Or maybe gun violence shouldn't be a partisan issue either, anymore than the drug epidemic?

Back on topic, a big difference between the way the West Coast cities are handling the drug epidemic compared to east coast cities are that the east coast cities apparently acknowledge that there is a drug epidemic. Here in LA, our local politicians call the drug epidemic a "housing crisis" and their solution to all these crazy people living on the street is to raise taxes to build them houses. They blame the tens of thousands living in tents and on the sidewalk on high housing prices as if its capitalism that has failed our down and out residents. IMO you could give each of these individuals 10 houses and that wouldn't help them unless the underlying issue of addiction is addressed.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 PM

285 posts, read 540,778 times
Default Repug states are worst?

Look at homeless rates, the west coast states are the leaders and all leftist states. Cities in California, Oregon and Washington have driven an overall spike in the number of homeless people nationwide in recent years. According to data from the latest HUD report, the region still leads the nation in terms of highest rates of unsheltered people.

Just over 68 percent of the homeless population in California is categorized as unsheltered, while Oregon and Washington state report being at 61 percent and 47 percent, respectively. NV and CO, recently turned purple are falling into the same category as the 3 west coast states.

Last edited by Carlyee3; 03-22-2019 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: other data

Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
My family watched this Sunday and applauded it in our living room, it's about time something is done.
The situation is similar in other cities on the west coast and it's not being dealt with properly.
My hit list is:

-In-sufficient mental and drug rehab centers, more have been closed and defunded despite huge growth in the area.
-Housing shortage. We have a housing crisis, but seemingly nothing is done to encourage more housing. Water moratoriums, gophers, "wetlands", studies, and so on wrap up projects in red tape for YEARS.
-Our revolving door hand-slap liberal justice system just isn't working. A lot of these people have rap sheets pages long and are stealing and burglarizing to keep their alcohol and drugs paid for, and yet they spend a night in jail, pay no fines, and are back out on the street.
KOMO's documentary is being viewed as gospel by people on the right. I agree it's a large problem, but I hate how they only interview a few people to serve their self-fulfilling prophecy and paint everyone in a negative light. They did the same thing in Bellingham a few weeks ago when they filmed our neighborhood meeting about a temporary camp (drug-free, zero crime tolerance, heavily background checked and monitored) that will be in Sunnyland for the next few months. 150-200 people attended with roughly 90% in favor, but KOMO interviewed the one woman who spoke out. Their report made it look like residents were strongly against it, which was BS. But the horrible comments on local websites and social media threads suggest that it provoked people as intended....Never mind that I'll bet half the people commenting hatefully couldn't pass the background check to get in the community...

In any case, believe it or not (drum roll, please)......I appreciate that you've not put all the blame in one place, and recognize that there are multiple factors that have led us to where we are. And, though you haven't explicitly said it, policies from both parties are to blame.

For example, I do think that zoning laws - and the ability to change them (to allow future growth, as you mentioned- as well as approving other concepts like tiny home villages) takes place at a snail's pace. That tends to be more of a left-leaning problem. On the other hand, while writing everyone who's homeless off as a drug addict is factually incorrect, we are woefully equipped for mental health and drug rehabilitation, which tends to be defunded by the right. And you may also be surprised to know that I agree that police should be firmer about the behaviors of some people, especially anyone getting violent.

So, again, I agree on all three points and would like to see a comprehensive plan created to deal with homelessness in the area. I appreciate the small pilot programs being considered, but it's a drop in the bucket and fails to tackle the issue. And I think there can be significant change without dehumanizing everyone who's out of a house, because I disagree with the assertion by some that they all- or even most- want to live that way.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
San Jose is much worse: dead downtown, tons of trash from homeless people and lots of burglaries. San Jose is actually already dead. So it can be worse

Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I really feel for the lady who's attempting to be heard at this meeting. The panel members just blow her off. An honest hard-working individual who's being treated like a PITA. Absolutely infuriates me every time I watch this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJTFaWadF4&t=32s
Pretty sure I read something not too long ago about the City Council's approval rating being about as bad as Federal Congress (between 20 and 30%) - is it any wonder with footage like this (and more) out there?

Unfortunately, they know they're unliked, and many aren't re-running (thankfully) - so we can expect more of this at least until they're out of office.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:31 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Everyone is only allowed to speak for a set time at council meetings and she reached her time limit. It wouldn't be fair for the council to allow some speakers to speak longer because they found their topics more interesting, compelling, or even relevant. Everyone is treated the same.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I think probably it's KOMO-TV's viewers are dying off. Ever since KOMO was bought by Sinclair Broadcasting (which politically outfoxes Fox) the programming has been skewing to the right. It's only logical that KOMO/Sinclair would be gleeful in painting Seattle in the most disparaging light possible, seeing that their owner/masters have long gone full Trump. We are, after all, the New Gomorrah.
I’m sorry but this post is an epic fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area