Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 02:06 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
This is semi correct and I see where you're going with this 41 Willys and pretty much agree with you on this since New York City is a very unique city in its own rights.

I'm no expert, but I was required by my employment to live and work in NYC for 10 years. Yes, NYC is one city, but more like cities within a city, with their own independent seats of local governments. My wife is from Brooklyn and she will make it very clear that she's from Brooklyn, not New York City, as well as my youngest daughter, who was also born in NYC... I mean "Brooklyn!!" Tell somebody from Brooklyn, Queens, Manhatten, Bronx or Staten Island that they're all the same... You will get far more than some Seattle passive aggressiveness thrown at you!!

Our old mailing address was;
XXXX 30th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11232

But the cold hard fact is that New York City is ONE city.

For Seattle's land and population size, it's homeless issue simply is unmanageable. Especially when you're comparing NYC's budget(s) for the homeless services and shelters/bed space compared to Seattle. Plus, even with a very passive city government and population, the NYC Police Department, which the police are a critical part of any homeless/crime solution... IMHO, anywhere in the country.... Still enforces the law far more proactively than what the Seattle Police Department is currently doing now.... Case and point, if a homeless person urinates, in the open, on the corner of 5th and Pike, here in Seattle, nothing is going to happen to him... Even if the cops sees him in the act. Now do the same thing at the corner of 34th Street and 6th Avenue, you will definitely get a cop's attention within seconds. Along with a free ride to Rikers Island... A real jail that nobody what's to go to since there's a good chance you won't be leaving the island... Alive or in one piece, which to the homeless and criminals is a serious deterrent. Not saying it right or wrong, it's simple a sad fact of reality. Many harden criminals and tough guys/gals breakdown in tears as they're going across that little connecting bridge to the Island for their free 3 hots and a cot.

IMHO, it's now time for both the mayor and the city council to wake up. They need to show a united front with some REAL resolution that they're now going to get into this fight to save our city. Both the mayor's office and the city council NEED to give the Seattle Police Department's political appointees and the chief, new orders to start enforcing the laws and to take back our streets... And hold them, the streets, so it's not seen as some silly token temporary action that will be over in a week or two. But, to show its a serious operation and simply enforce the laws that are currently on the books... We don't need any new laws to do this since there is already enough laws to cover everything, several times over. If jail space is an issue, build a temporary "tent city" with a secured perimeter... If tents are good enough for our fighting men and women overseas, it's good enough for the criminal minded homeless population UNTIL the city, county and State can come up with a real solution to this problem... Plus, most are living in tents anyway, so it wouldn't be a shock to their system all. The only shock would come from them finally being held accountable for their own poor choices and actions. What a shocking ideal!!
Judging by your name you spent some time in Dirty Jerze as well.

Yeah, looking in from the outside its just NYC. Boom!

There's a major pride issue going on with NYC residents AND past residents. It almost feels like they are living off of it's earlier in time reputation. When there fathers father lived there. Its changing. Parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan AND DA BRONX, that you wouldn't dare go into 25 years ago are nice area's today.....

I think Seattle needs Mayor Giuliani.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 05:10 PM

233 posts, read 306,287 times
I'm from Brooklyn, and have been living on the West Coast since the 80's. I visited New York once back in 1989. I really would love to visit again since I've heard so much about how it's changed. In fact an area called DUMBO is the most expensive neighborhood in NYC!
Seattle and New York are similar yet different in so many ways. When I visited Seattle back in the 80's, I was very impressed with how clean it was compared to NY. As far as the homeless situation....it's something that has to be address by people who can really do something about it. The fact of the matter is: is there anyone who really cares to do something about it? Helping people who need help? Making sure that laws are enforced? Protecting the citizens and the visitors of the city?

A friend of mine had brought up on Facebook under that Seattle looks like **** page this comment: Seattle under Mayor Charles Royer's watch between 1978 and 1990 was an incredible city. Beautiful, clean, well run. Cared about its citizens and laws were enforced. Royer won awards for his leadership and the city was recognized as the most liveable city in the US. What started the change in Seattle was the impact of the Grunge Music movement of the early 1990s (that had a lot of heavy drug use attached to it) that put Seattle on the national map, combined with the early 90's recession and a move towards more progressive policies, which started the slow decline into what we see today. This is something that didn't happen overnight.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post
I'm from Brooklyn, and have been living on the West Coast since the 80's. I visited New York once back in 1989. I really would love to visit again since I've heard so much about how it's changed. In fact an area called DUMBO is the most expensive neighborhood in NYC!
Seattle and New York are similar yet different in so many ways. When I visited Seattle back in the 80's, I was very impressed with how clean it was compared to NY. As far as the homeless situation....it's something that has to be address by people who can really do something about it. The fact of the matter is: is there anyone who really cares to do something about it? Helping people who need help? Making sure that laws are enforced? Protecting the citizens and the visitors of the city?

A friend of mine had brought up on Facebook under that Seattle looks like **** page this comment: Seattle under Mayor Charles Royer's watch between 1978 and 1990 was an incredible city. Beautiful, clean, well run. Cared about its citizens and laws were enforced. Royer won awards for his leadership and the city was recognized as the most liveable city in the US. What started the change in Seattle was the impact of the Grunge Music movement of the early 1990s (that had a lot of heavy drug use attached to it) that put Seattle on the national map, combined with the early 90's recession and a move towards more progressive policies, which started the slow decline into what we see today. This is something that didn't happen overnight.
NYC today compared to NYC in 1989 is 2 different worlds! Remember Williamsburg Brooklyn? Yeah, it is now full of condos, townhomes, cafe's, restaurants, ect..... Bed-Sty is even changing for the better. Upper manhattan above the Park has changed over. Even parts of Harlem are kewl. Actually Bill Clinton started that renovation. Yep, Seattle reminds me of NY to.

Yeah, Grunge was the cause of Seattle's downfall.
Grunge put Seattle on the map. Grunge killed hair bands which carried 10X more drugs than Grunge.

Seattle is a great city! The homeless don't bother me at all. Homeless are everywhere. I didn't have to come to Seattle to see my first homeless person. The tents are what's getting out of hand. That's one thing you don't see back east is tents. And the freedom to put them wherever they want to sleep during the day and get open air drug buys at night right in front of the police without fear of any consequences.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:31 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post

Spot on!!! I went to Seattle in 1989 and had been in NYC in 1987. Seattle reminded me of gentle NYC, aka Grenwich Village, back in those days, albeit cleaner and with mellow homeless people that would never go beyond 2nd st.. They would just be confined to Pioneer sq., and they were very polite. Really miss the affordable and vibrant, relatively clean Seattle in those days. Now, it's even worse than NYC in the 70's and 80's, at least rival the problem NY had. I even went to South Bronx and Greenpoint, Williamsburg Brooklyn in the late 70's. Situation in Seattle with people being aggressive and assaulting people are even worse, I feel, in Seattle than NYC in its dark days since thugs there assault mostly other thugs, just mainly mugging random people. Very sad

Old 03-31-2019, 02:24 PM

128 posts, read 347,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
You could argue the same thing about LA County and San Diego County which are compared against San Francisco (city is basically the County).
Getting an accurate census on the homeless is very difficult.

Sounds like you want Seattle to rank higher...which is not a good thing. And it was actually King County (pop 2.18 million) which is being cited.
Break down LA County, SD County, and SF (heck, throw in Orange County, too) into parts and that list would be even more of a California-Oregon-Washington Homelessness Hall of Shame.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:53 PM

22,663 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Left Seattle in about 2003, it was getting bad then...............I can only imagine!

Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 PM

387 posts, read 358,904 times
People associate this decline with liberalism but not all liberals are this soft and dysfunctional. NYC under Bloomberg was a pretty safe and orderly place. It’s just the Seattle politicians in charge right now are not pragmatic enough with their liberalism.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
People associate this decline with liberalism but not all liberals are this soft and dysfunctional. NYC under Bloomberg was a pretty safe and orderly place. It’s just the Seattle politicians in charge right now are not pragmatic enough with their liberalism.
NY is still safe and orderly place with lots of yuppies and millenials.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 AM

387 posts, read 358,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
NY is still safe and orderly place with lots of yuppies and millenials.
didn’t say it wasn’t. my point is liberal politics does not equal disarray and ineptitude.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:36 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
There's a major pride issue going on with NYC residents AND past residents. It almost feels like they are living off of it's earlier in time reputation. When there fathers father lived there. Its changing. Parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan AND DA BRONX, that you wouldn't dare go into 25 years ago are nice area's today.....

I think Seattle needs Mayor Giuliani.

Another thing that went on long ago is Chicago challenged NYC for best and biggest city in the U.S. So by default the best and biggest city in the world. This apparently still goes on but NYC is still the Big Apple. Chicago is No.2 or lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area