Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 04:05 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
There's a major pride issue going on with NYC residents AND past residents. It almost feels like they are living off of it's earlier in time reputation. When there fathers father lived there. Its changing. Parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan AND DA BRONX, that you wouldn't dare go into 25 years ago are nice area's today.....

I think Seattle needs Mayor Giuliani.

Another thing that went on long ago is Chicago challenged NYC for best and biggest city in the U.S. So by default the best and biggest city in the world. This apparently still goes on but NYC is still the Big Apple. Chicago is No.2 or lower.
They can both have that title! Manhattan wins highest rent hands down! SFO is darn close. $4000 a month for a studio is just to much. And that's down town. The upper east side is a whole other ball game.
Its $15 just to enter the city from the NJ side.

I would opt to live in Seattle any day of the week over smelly, dirty, rat infested, overpriced, NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,087 times
Quote:
There's a major pride issue going on with NYC residents AND past residents. It almost feels like they are living off of it's earlier in time reputation. When there fathers father lived there. Its changing. Parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan AND DA BRONX, that you wouldn't dare go into 25 years ago are nice area's today.....

I think Seattle needs Mayor Giuliani.

Another thing that went on long ago is Chicago challenged NYC for best and biggest city in the U.S. So by default the best and biggest city in the world. This apparently still goes on but NYC is still the Big Apple. Chicago is No.2 or lower.
Actually, L.A is the best city in the U.S.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:06 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
I would opt to live in Seattle any day of the week over smelly, dirty, rat infested, overpriced, NYC.

For sure, for sure. Anyone for a game of pool? Seattle rocks - best city in the world, in my not so humble opinion.

Neesh-bosh to that idea.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:

For sure, for sure. Anyone for a game of pool? Seattle rocks - best city in the world, in my not so humble opinion.

Neesh-bosh to that idea.
I used to be the sht in billards 25 years ago.

Yeah I never hear anyone mention the rat problem in the big apple. A few years back after hurricane sandy pelted the NE with rain and high tide flooding, the tunnels connecting NJ to Manhattan were flooded to the roof. rats had no where to hide so they were on the streets. There were reports of rats attacking children on their way home from school. They are not mice sized lab rats. These are medium to large cat size rats.
And they bite! just ask the homeless.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Hey, you just gave me an idea, 41Willy's: Send the rats of New York City over to downtown Seattle and let 'em at all the homeless! Heh...heh. I know, I know, that's sick and demented.

I didn't really mean that. Almost. I...heh, I mean I totally didn't mean that.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:36 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times
Going from Brooklyn NY ( Bay Ridge) to Seattle was really tough as a kid. In NYC as we all know everything you need is around the corner with stores galore and full of personality like mom and pop shops. When the family came to Seattle we were so bored. There was no one out walking it seems. The biggest streets Pac Hwy and Aurora at night had no families or normal people walking around. A lot of ladies of the night or desolute people there.We wanted to leave but the folks found decent jobs. This was in the early 80s.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:44 PM

Going from Brooklyn NY ( Bay Ridge) to Seattle was really tough as a kid. In NYC as we all know everything you need is around the corner with stores galore and full of personality like mom and pop shops. When the family came to Seattle we were so bored. There was no one out walking it seems. The biggest streets Pac Hwy and Aurora at night had no families or normal people walking around. A lot of ladies of the night or desolute people there.We wanted to leave but the folks found decent jobs. This was in the early 80s.

Man, I don't recall hearing that about you before - the NYC connection. Did you ever see John Lennon walking around before that fateful day in 1980 that he was shot to death? Ya know, I've never been to the east coast anywhere. The furthest east I've been is Charlotte, NC, and that's not quite east coast. But I love that game show 'Cash Cab' with Ben Bailey. As he drives that Toyota Sienna minivan cab around I can see that NYC driving would be plenty rat-racy.

One day I wouldn't mind seeing NYC - my son has seen it - my wife and I haven't. But I'm not going to overly put down a huge city without even seeing it in person! That's not fair. Yes, Seattle probably was devoid of pedestrians. The last time we were in downtown Seattle was I believe October of 2017. I saw more dudes and dudettes with their heads buried in their cellphones, man! Right on the streetcorners in Seattle. Some of the people were starting to walk out in front of my car but stopped just short. But, as far as I can remember, it seems that more people were walking around the city than I remember when I hung out there.

But it breaks my heart to see so many people that were living on the streets there. Relieving themselves right outside, sometimes in plain view of others. Seattle's got to grab that steer by the horns and follow a plan like that city in Rhode Island follows. Basically, enforce the law, put them in prison, get them weaned (with "safe drugs" being followed closely by medical personnel) and, for the ones that get off the stuff, released. What I liked about Rhode Island's program was their wonderful follow-up program for former addicts. Then, if they re-lapse and those relapses lead to broken laws, bust them again and thrown them in prison again. It has to be strictly followed, though, none of this "we'll just look the other way and hope they sprout wings and vote for us down the road apiece" like the Seattle City Council espouses. What rubbish!

I have started to think more of using the word rubbish after going down the "Paul McCartney is dead, he was replaced by William Shears Campbell" threads on YouTube. The British love to say the word rubbish. If you're ever curious, take a dive in. You have to watch around 25-50 YouTube videos, though, on the subject and do your due diligence. You'll be surprised at all the rubbish the British M5/M6 have thrown down at the world, flexing their Illuminati muscle. The Beatles were a band made up by and controlled by Tavistock of Britain - M5-M6 controlling the British Empire and making sure everything and everybody is being "good" and herding everyone in the right direction to their liking. I found the rabbitholes fascinating and extremely interesting. And I'm a Foghat - Guess Who - Tragically Hip (the latter two bands being Canadian - the first one is British - I'm 3/4ers Norwegian and 1/4er British myself - naturally I'm gonna favor British and Canadian bands - after all - Canadians are half and half British and French theirselves). I do have 3 nights on at my work and 4 days off - so I do have time to read a LOT on the internet! I do find this contraption most interesting.

Anyhoo - hopefully I haven't bored any of you on here. Anyhow, 87112 - man, do tell more about the NYC/Seattle dichotomy, if you wish. And I am pretty sure you're gonna dig New Mexico. Way back in 1979 I went to a Tech. Institute in Seattle at the corner of 2nd and Blanchard called Washington Technical Institute and took Graphic Arts/Printing. One guy in our class was from New Mexico - his name was Sam. Nicest guy in the world - always had a big smile on his face. It's funny that I'm now down in his old stomping grounds and he's who knows where? But I think you'll really like living in New Mexico, 87112.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Hey, you just gave me an idea, 41Willy's: Send the rats of New York City over to downtown Seattle and let 'em at all the homeless! Heh...heh. I know, I know, that's sick and demented.

I didn't really mean that. Almost. I...heh, I mean I totally didn't mean that.
I had some of those same thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
BayRidge is still nice! Not as many German restaurants/bars as there used to be. And the Verrazano is up to $19 bucks to cross! And I bet the school system is a bit safer than NYC schools...

Old 04-03-2019, 02:54 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,097 times
I guarantee you I haven't read all the posts on this thread spurred by some faux-documentary propaganda piece, but I did think of it reading this:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-80s-and-90s/

Perspective. People can hardly believe it when I recall how someone I know agonized over buying a home in Ballard in the early 90s, staked it out watching the drug deals go down in the park across the street. Because who could know if Ballard would be a good investment then...

Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I had some of those same thoughts!

BayRidge is still nice! Not as many German restaurants/bars as there used to be. And the Verrazano is up to $19 bucks to cross! And I bet the school system is a bit safer than NYC schools...
My bad! I was thinking of Ridgewood, not Bay Ridge....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area