Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 01:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
I am not blaming the city ( I find Seattle stunningly beautiful).
This said, I have " held " the same job domain for over 20 years and have worked in 4 states . I am simply saying that my encounter with locals- not transplants was very cold. I could go into details: ex: when I applied for a job in Healthcare prior to my retail experience, during the interview I was directly asked " Another person from California? why are you looking here? We are full"
Another case where one experience doesn't apply to a whole city, or to all employers. Of the people I have hired in the last few years two are from California, one from Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 01:29 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Thank you Kayla- maybe this retail company has a “different” mentality and perhaps had a worked this job in Chicago my experience would have also been bad. I’m just sad that it’s the first employment ever where I won’t stay in contact with one single person.
One's experience depends in part on one's expectations. I've never expected to make friends with co-workers. The way to make friends in Seattle, is, as one poster here said, to join some neighborhood sports teams (the social soccer leagues result in a significant number of marriages, I hear), or other hobby groups, the Mountaineers hiking club, or boating clubs, volunteer for street fairs, annual srts/music festivals, film festivals or one of the Sister City committees, museums, or whatever suits your fancy, or attend dance evenings: salsa, swing, folk, contra (lessons for a small fee before the evening officially starts). Check out activities and classes, workshops at the Parks Dept. facilities.

Get involved in the community. That's how people make friends. It sounds like you haven't even begun to try.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:03 PM

269 posts, read 358,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One's experience depends in part on one's expectations. I've never expected to make friends with co-workers. The way to make friends in Seattle, is, as one poster here said, to join some neighborhood sports teams (the social soccer leagues result in a significant number of marriages, I hear), or other hobby groups, the Mountaineers hiking club, or boating clubs, volunteer for street fairs, annual srts/music festivals, film festivals or one of the Sister City committees, museums, or whatever suits your fancy, or attend dance evenings: salsa, swing, folk, contra (lessons for a small fee before the evening officially starts). Check out activities and classes, workshops at the Parks Dept. facilities.

Get involved in the community. That's how people make friends. It sounds like you haven't even begun to try.
Sorry if my post was perhaps not clear. I did not expect to make friends right away. Being from Seattle, I actually have lots of friends here.
I was simply noting how coldly I was met in work. When working in other states, I was met with much greater warmness. I never imposed myself and simply asked when it seemed appropriate, for a quick helping hand. Never happened here.

Granted as someone mentioned, perhaps I was very unlucky and the stars were simply not aligned. I continue to think Seattle is so beautiful.

PS : yes I am actually signed up in a hiking club as well as boating on lake Union when it opens up.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Another case where one experience doesn't apply to a whole city, or to all employers. Of the people I have hired in the last few years two are from California, one from Alaska.
perhaps I was just unlucky...

Old 07-01-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Also, you mentioned starting last December. Beginning of winter. Then the virus anxiety hit last week of February and nothing has been the same ever since.

Might be really bad luck.
Possible!

Old 07-01-2020, 02:47 PM

513 posts, read 500,253 times
Sounds like a very poor workplace culture. Possibly there is some resentment towards your position due to a reason you don't know - someone got passed over, or whatever. So they are passively aggressively blaming you for it. Having a workplace where people don't want to help each other tells me that management is very bad and doesn't want to create a team environment. I have worked in places like this - they are no fun unless you like competing against your coworkers. Personally I do not and I think it makes for a dysfunctional workplace.

Then the "Freeze", which is really just introversion mixed with passive aggressiveness, just adds to the problem.

Sorry you are dealing with this!

Old 07-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Sounds like a very poor workplace culture. Possibly there is some resentment towards your position due to a reason you don't know - someone got passed over, or whatever. So they are passively aggressively blaming you for it. Having a workplace where people don't want to help each other tells me that management is very bad and doesn't want to create a team environment. I have worked in places like this - they are no fun unless you like competing against your coworkers. Personally I do not and I think it makes for a dysfunctional workplace.

Then the "Freeze", which is really just introversion mixed with passive aggressiveness, just adds to the problem.

Sorry you are dealing with this!
Thank you for your words. I am trying to find a job here but am applying all over as I need to support the family.
Maybe bad luck ...I hope that is what was!

Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,730,805 times
Quote:
Sorry if my post was perhaps not clear. I did not expect to make friends right away. Being from Seattle, I actually have lots of friends here.
I was simply noting how coldly I was met in work. When working in other states, I was met with much greater warmness. I never imposed myself and simply asked when it seemed appropriate, for a quick helping hand. Never happened here.

Granted as someone mentioned, perhaps I was very unlucky and the stars were simply not aligned. I continue to think Seattle is so beautiful.

PS : yes I am actually signed up in a hiking club as well as boating on lake Union when it opens up.
Aren't you leaving? Wasn't that the point? The requisite "goodbye Seattle!" post? Another poster on this thread has been saying "goodbye Seattle!" since forever but never leaves.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,887,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Another poster on this thread has been saying "goodbye Seattle!" since forever but never leaves.
Oh, he leaves. Has left a few times.
For some inexplicable reason he keeps coming back.

yaya, whatever your choice I wish you well. I do think it was a tough time to move. Winter's are pretty quiet with the gray and short days. Spring and Summer is when the PNW lights up but unfortunately CV-19 put a big halt to that.

Oh! And your office mates suck too.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Oh, he leaves. Has left a few times.
For some inexplicable reason he keeps coming back.

yaya, whatever your choice I wish you well. I do think it was a tough time to move. Winter's are pretty quiet with the gray and short days. Spring and Summer is when the PNW lights up but unfortunately CV-19 put a big halt to that.

Oh! And your office mates suck too.
Thank you!
Again I love the beauty ( that mountain!!!!!) here and maybe my experiences represent a perfect storm of bad timing.
If I can stay I will But just keeping my head down in the office.
if not I will visit with pleasure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area