Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:07 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times

Advertisements

Well I just got back from my lunch break, walked up to Westlake and through Pike Place, and it is gorgeous outside. Not real hot yet, but this is a start. About time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:23 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
It was a snarky comment regarding when my choice of semantics were scrutinized prior in this thread - though we were saying the same things.
OK I have no idea what you are referring to and I am too lazy to pore over pages of text to discover it, so I will just take your word for it.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually, it isn't that I CAN'T handle it. After all, I've lived here 35 years so I think I've proven that I CAN handle it.

I just don't want to anymore. I'm tired of it. The weather shouldn't be something that you have to "get through" - certainly not when that period that you have to "get through" is more than half the year.

Time for us to move on.

Unfortunately, financial considerations will keep us here for a few more years, but believe me, I am counting the days (so to speak).

Ken
I would have to agree with you LordBalfor..
"Getting through" is not a way to live or look forward very well..
However when I left Seattle (the first time) I moved to Phoenix, after 3 years I was "Getting through" the brutal summers that last 6 months...Its a hot one. I remember the first years being excited about sunshine and palm trees. That wore off fast for me.

I guess the point of my humble post is that everyone has their own barometer for " extreme" Seattle is extremely X Phoenix is extremely Y Minnesota is way W and Florida is a sticky mess of Z....

Heres to finding your own equation!!
Mine is the Pacific Northwest for a third time....

Last edited by 5chevin5; 06-12-2008 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: coffee first ...then post

Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
5chevin5 -

Yeah, I understand.

Of course I wouldn't want to live in Phoenix either - just too much of a blast furnace in the summer. However, I think we should be all right in our location (SE Arizona, just west of Benson). Climate was our primary consideration and we wanted a place that was very mild in the winter but not too hot in the summer - and unlike SW Arizona (which is very low in altitude and thus high in temperature) SE Arizona is higher in altitude and cooler in climate. Our land sits at 4,200 feet and average highs in the area top out at 92 in June, 91 in July and 88 in August - pleasantly mild for the SouthWest. January average high is 59/60, with average overnight lows around 37/38.

All in all, a pretty pleasant climate. We even get more rainfall than many other areas - averaging between 16-20 inches of rain a year (similar to Sequim in quantity, but in a very different rainfall pattern) so we're relatively green - certainly compared to areas of Southern Arizona such as Yuma or Phoenix. See attached photo taken from our property.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Looks like it will be raining for the first half of June-copy-pict6934.jpg  

Old 06-12-2008, 10:33 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
See attached photo taken from our property.
very cloudy there

Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
so this means Seattle doesn't gets only 60 sunny days a year and partly cloudy days are nice. As you see the sky on the pictures has very few clouds. Probably that's why these days are not considered clear (sunny) days. Miami averages only 75 clear days a year and 175 partly cloudy. But everybody knows it is always sunny in Miami .
The National Weather Service has specific definitions for clear, partly cloudy, cloudy. I beleive clear is 0-30% cloud cover, pc is 30-60%, and cloudy is >60%.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Somebody tried to say that partly cloudy days are crappy, depressing, gloomy

Old 06-13-2008, 01:20 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
very cloudy there
Yes indeed. The difference is, it's not cloudy for 6 to 9 months of the year - instead it's completely sunny for 80-90 percent of the time. It's also much warmer - even when it cloudy and when it does rain it doesn't drag on for hours and hours or days and days - instead it comes down hard and 20 minutes later it's over.

Down there, the clouds are a blessing and pretty much everyone LOVES the monsoon season as it cools things off, greens things up, and provides nice refreshing rains. During July and August in the late afternoon the clouds begin to form over the mountains, then pancake out around the surrounding area often bringing thunderstorms and impressive lightning displays.

Compare the sunshine chart here:

Seattle, Washington (WA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

to the one here:

Benson, Arizona (AZ) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

and it become REAL clear why I don't mind the few times there are clouds down there.

Ken

Old 06-13-2008, 07:18 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Quote:
Somebody tried to say that partly cloudy days are crappy, depressing, gloomy
They did? Or is that your spin?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:37 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
My goodness, no posts on this thread for several hours! Don't tell me it's dying?!

Ken, looks like gorgeous land. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area