Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 15,624 times

Advertisements

I think it was next door to The Bitter End Tavern. Everythings a blur Lol - I knew a few old streetwalkers back then and sime cops who watched out for them. It was a different time. There was much more compassion shared on those streets than most people knew. People took care if one another in practical, tangible ways without seeking recognition for it. Yes it was "dirty, gritty, seemy, etc. But, I would much rather walk those streets than the soulless sidewalks of Seattle now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Default Bartell's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
...Wow!! Simply Wow!!

I was born and raised in Seattle and back in the mid 70s, as a teen, downtown was a great... Always something going on. I remember spending hours in Music World (?) across from Woolsworth on 3rd Ave, looking at albums and enjoying whatever album was being played. Also, the Farmer's Market was a cool place to chill out as well since there was no shortage of freaks hanging around.

Also, I worked for Herfy's for about a year and it was a blast!! I lived in the Rainier Valley area and worked at the one on Rainier Avenue, by Franklin High School, but worked at several Herfy's for extra cash at their Downtown, Capital and and the Queen Ann restaurants... Everytime I visit home, I go to Dick's on Queen Ann Hill, which was the old Herfy's place and it almost looks the same. Herfy's burgers were OK, but their Fish Sandwich and French Dips were the best!!

At the Westlake Mall area, at the old Bartell's drugstore, on the second floor, there was a restaurant that specialized in hot dogs and man were they good!! I can't remember the name, but it was something simple. Also, Go Guy Drugs made the BEST burgers in town... Hands down!! Their shakes were good too, but those damned paper straws didn't work too well.

Enlisted in the Army back in early 1980 and only for a few visits, I missed all of the 80s and 90s... Didn't start visiting home on a regular base until 2007 and now I can't wait to retire and move back within the next 18-20 months for good.

Home is home and I can truly state that I really love Seattle.
The Frankfurter was the hot dog place - before that it was "the Triangle Restaurant".

Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 PM

Alaska Tavern which became Charlie's, where I worked in the early 1980,s. The Bitter End - a real dive. Jeanne's Home Plate on 5th Ave. (worked there briefly)

Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
Does anyone remember the old dance clubs and taverns in the 70's such as Pier 70 and Golden Tides? And Parker's Ballroom later the Aquarius Tavern. The Monastary when it was the BFD.
Live music at Golden Gardens in the summertime (and drag races after dark?). Lake Hills Roller Rink in Bellevue... we saw Miles Davis there in 1971. There use to be a dance club in the U District, but I can't remember the name, it had a colored light dance floor, maybe it was the District Tavern or it might have been the Rainbow Tavern. There was also a motel on the corner of 45th and the freeway that had a tavern with live music and dancing, can't remember the name of that one too. And one on Westlake on the water, near Horatio's, oh, yeah, Latitude 47. The Warehouse Tavern on Eastlake and the Eastlake Tavern where The City Zu use to play, I lived in an apartment a block away so I didn't have to worry about driving drunk. Doc Maynard's but I don't think they played music there... The Blue Banjo also in Pioneer Square. Boren Street Disco which was basically a Gay bar like Shelley's Leg, but we spent a lot of time there. Bananas Tavern in Fremont. Pipeline Tavern on Eastlake. Did anyone ever go to the Trolly Club? Victoria Station....

Did anyone go to Beth's Cafe after the bars closed for breakfast? The Deluxe Tavern on Capitol Hill had the best steaks and baked potatoes.. we use to go there after skiing or having seeing a movie at the Harvard Exit. There was a place over near Ballard, on Crown Hill, I think it was called either Goldies or Goofy's, had great hamburgers. And of course Dick's drive ins, which are still around.

Going back further...
In the 60's there were all city dances at the Seattle Center. And the Spanish Castle. Do you remember the Helix underground newspaper? One of its founders was Walt Crowley who attended the same high school that I did and graduated a few years ahead of me. He went on to create an online history website called HistoryLink... a great site to learn more about the history of Seattle.

Concerts at Eagle's Auditorium

Going back further...
Do you remember Playland in the 50's?
The Hotel on 45th was the Sherwood Inn and the dance club was the Midieval Cellar.

Does anyone remember the dance club in Bellevue - it was off Bel-Red Road?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:01 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
This thread has been revived in May 2015, thanks to "seattlerain", and originally "homesinseattle". It is in the thread "what are your best back in the day memories of Seattle?"

Old 09-29-2016, 11:31 AM

221 posts, read 203,809 times
Feeling a little melancholy today. Forty six years ago I was drafted into the army and lived in the Seattle area for 18 months. Found this thread about four years ago. Pictures brought back great memories. Recently planned an extended visit to the area, but poor health and age seemed to catch up with me.
Anyway, if anyone has additional photos/memories to share from early 70s I would enjoy seeing them. Thanks

Old 09-30-2016, 10:12 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Texan View Post
Anyway, if anyone has additional photos/memories to share from early 70s I would enjoy seeing them. Thanks
Here are a few...

View from Kerry Park, around 1972

From West Seattle...

Pike Place before the urban renewal project

(I think) Stewart Street between Pike Place and First Avenue

Inside the Pike Place market

From what is now Gasworks Park, north Lake Union, mid-1970s

One vivid memory from then was the Fresh Air Tavern on Broadway. Numerous major jazz artists would use the Fresh Air as a venue for working on their acts before touring; I remember watching Hugh Masakela, for example, rehearsing his gigs there (also Freddie Hubbard and other CTA artists as CTA was based in Seattle) while consuming $2 pitchers of beer. What a deal.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:34 PM

221 posts, read 203,809 times
Thanks, remember the Pike Place market area well.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:36 PM

323 posts, read 448,669 times
Default Pike Place Buildings

Interesting photos. The black and white one looks like the early 1960s (no, actually 1970 or 1971). Those buildings were renovated in 1977 and 1981. The Peláez family escaped "political upheavel" in Bolivia and opened Copacabana Café in The Market Triangle Building in 1964. It was built in 1908 and renovated, including adding a balcony, in 1977. It's to the right of the Silver Okum Building, built in 1910 and renovated in 1977. The Sanitary Market, built in 1910, was so named because no horses were allowed inside. Rehabbed and expanded in 1981.

If the white brick building was/is on Stewart it was probably torn down. Its fenestrations don't quite match the building's that houses Antiques At Pike Place. Not Stewart House as it was built in 1986.

The first Starbucks store opened in the Harbor Heights Building, 2000 Western Avenue, in 1971. Corner of Virginia Street. The building was demolished in 1975. The building there now contains the Seatown Seabar restaurant. The Starbucks on Pike Place is the oldest Starbucks that still exists, not the "first", as advertised. It's the fourth Starbucks as there was the one on Western, one near the UW and one on Capitol Hill before it opened in 1974. Not sure about the second and third, but the first one did not sell drinks, just gave away samples.

A couple photos of the first Starbucks store at Western and Virginia (courtesy of Seattle Municipal Archives):

Pine and Pike Place in the 1970s. Beecher's opened on the corner in 2003. Public housing on the right was demolished for Campagne and The Inn At The Market. Note parking in the Arcade:

Last edited by Jiff; 09-30-2016 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
Interesting photos. The black and white one looks like the early 1960s. Those buildings were renovated in 1977 and 1981. The Peláez family escaped "political upheavel" in Bolivia and opened Copacabana Café in The Market Triangle Building in 1964. It was built in 1908 and renovated, including adding a balcony, in 1977. It's to the right of the Silver Okum Building, built in 1910 and renovated in 1977. The Sanitary Market, built in 1910, was so named because no horses were allowed inside. Rehabbed and expanded in 1981.
The picture was taken in 1970 or 1971. The Seafirst Building wasn't built until 1969. "The box the Space Needle came in" sure dominated the skyline, didn't it? You can barely make it out today.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area