Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times

Advertisements

Sounds about right to me...and boy was he a character!

The old Seattle seemed to nurture and embrace characters. I'm not sure that's the case today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Sounds about right to me...and boy was he a character!

The old Seattle seemed to nurture and embrace characters. I'm not sure that's the case today.
Unfortunately I think those days are long gone.

Stan Boreson and his Grandma Torvald and Uncle Torvald, JP Patches, Wunda Wunda , Captain Puget and Ivar, even Dixie Lee Ray, were all characters that could only have come from Seattle...

Last edited by seattlerain; 09-04-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I wasn't here, but in northern California in the late 70's when Seattle went belly up, I remember seeing a billboard on the news "Will the last person leaving Seattle please turn out the lights."
Those were tough times here in Seattle, nearly everybody knew somebody who worked at Boeing...

Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Wow! I haven't had time to look at all the photo's, but it gives the viewer a glimpse into the past. Seattle was an old, dingy place! No offense, the black & white photo's add to the coldness. I will check out the rest later! MAN! Good stuff.

Thank you very much for the pictures!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Quick question. Would it be safe to say that when tech came about in the 80's it gave Seattle life?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Quick question. Would it be safe to say that when tech came about in the 80's it gave Seattle life?
I would say that is quite a stretch, to say that the tech boom gave Seattle life. I think it is fair to say that the tech boom gave it a different kind of life, and it certainly changed Seattle dramatically.

Like all port cities, Seattle had a long history of being sort of a rough place, with lots of prostitution, gambling and other vices, so we have always been a colorful city with lots of “life”.

Also Seattle certainly did not escape the urban decay that was so prevalent in the 1960s, 70s and early 80s, it never got as bad as other, bigger cities, but we did not escape it.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Seattle had plenty of "life" before the tech boom. In fact, I'm inclined to say that it took away life, and encouraged sterility. The Seattle of 30 years ago might have been a little grittier, but it had character, and characters.
Maybe it's just me, but I find old sailors and fishermen to have more life in them than people who write code for a living.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Seattle had plenty of "life" before the tech boom. In fact, I'm inclined to say that it took away life, and encouraged sterility. The Seattle of 30 years ago might have been a little grittier, but it had character, and characters.
Maybe it's just me, but I find old sailors and fishermen to have more life in them than people who write code for a living.
lol,,,,

Agree'd, but look at times, if it didn't go tech how big would drugs and violence be in such a rough gritty place? Those pictures are "amazing"!
I'm from Bayshore NY. (Long Island) SAME THING! Fishermans worf for years! I moved in the early 90's and went back to Bayshore before I left and it changed. I used to frequent a few fisherman bars. During the day you can visit, but at nite it's all crack heads and whores & violence.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Woof! What are you doing down here?? Aren't we both missing out on posts from the lone traveler +2?
Oh, hullo there allforcats! It's a shame he gave up the game and confessed, isn't it?

[/tangent]

Old 09-06-2008, 02:13 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
I agree, and I agree, and I agree.
Grittier, and profoundly exciting, an important part of the history of the nation and of the continent.

Do you know that Seattle was the major supply port for the prospectors of the 1897 Alaska gold rush? Everything they could need to find and extract the gold, and stay alive while doing that, they bought in Seattle. Without Seattle, it's not likely there would have been an Alaskan gold rush, as there was no other settlement -- within any reasonable, workable distance -- that could have provided all those supplies, packed them on ships, and gotten them to Alaska. And because of that, the population of Seattle soared.

Have you ever taken the underground tour? Peered into the old places in Pioneer Square? The stores are under the ground because that was the street level of Seattle before the great fire of 1889. Why was there a "great fire"? Hmmmm...

Do you know that the term "skid road" started here? Timber was slid, or skidded, down Yesler St. to a steam-powered mill on the Seattle waterfront.

Do you know that in the mid 1800s, pioneers and civic leaders Henry Yesler and Arthur Denny couldn't agree on whether streets should be laid out according to the points of the compass or according to the lay of the land -- so each of them made his own streets, which is why we have streets going in all different directions, and frequently come to 5-corner stop signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area