Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM

64 posts, read 249,016 times

Advertisements

I have a Puyallup address, but I'm sorta in what would be South Sumner--if they ever annex what's below 410.

I like the area, but I think of myself more as a Slumner resident, as a friend calls it.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,787 times
Puyallup is different from Seattle... one thing I noticed about the people in Puyallup is that they aren't as rude. But also keep in mind that Puyallup is much, much, much more conservative. I graduated from high school in puyallup just a few years ago, and the schools had a lot of diversity/racism issues. It also has a low ethnic minority population. African-Americans are hard to find here. There were some instances where some kids were calling an African-American student the "n" word. Also, there were instances where the school's LGBT club had their posters on the wall destroyed. Definitely conservative. But public education in the Puyallup area is pretty good (tho not as strong as Bellevue, Mercer Island, etc.). Puyallup is also rapidly developing. It changes so much every time I come back to visit.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyisthelimit1 View Post
But also keep in mind that Puyallup is much, much, much more conservative. I graduated from high school in puyallup just a few years ago, and the schools had a lot of diversity/racism issues. It also has a low ethnic minority population. African-Americans are hard to find here. There were some instances where some kids were calling an African-American student the "n" word. Also, there were instances where the school's LGBT club had their posters on the wall destroyed. Definitely conservative. But public education in the Puyallup area is pretty good (tho not as strong as Bellevue, Mercer Island, etc.). Puyallup is also rapidly developing. It changes so much every time I come back to visit.
Conservatives believe in small government, what you are describing is not conservative behavior - it is racist and homophobic behavior. While it's true that some conservatives are racist/homophobic, it's not fair to label all of them that way. Remember, there were an awful lot of Obama voters in CA that helped amend California's constitution to outlaw gay marriage. No political philosophy has a monopoly on narrow mindedness.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:38 PM

64 posts, read 249,016 times
Quote:
Puyallup is different from Seattle
True enough.
Quote:
Puyallup is much, much, much more conservative.
Or perhaps Seattle is much, much, much more liberal than other parts of the states. It's all relative, as are the terms liberal and conservative.
Quote:
I graduated from high school in puyallup just a few years ago, and the schools had a lot of diversity/racism issues.
Surely you don't mean to imply that Seattle and other areas have none?
Quote:
African-Americans are hard to find here [Puyallup].
Same is true in Bellevue, Mercer Island, Kirkland and Redmond. Does that make everyone there a conservative racist?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,168 times
It is snowing again here----I can not wait to leave. Check out things before you decide to move. This is not all what it is cracked up to be. It has its pluses but also its minuses. Depends on what you want and need. Very spendy place and not so friendly people. I grew up in the midwest. If this works for you, then welcome and I sure understand about the cold thing

Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 33,034 times
Traffic is often cited as a Seattle problem, and during rush hours it is a pain; but I've been stuck on LA freeways enough to think that Seattle isn't that much worse than many towns. I'm not sure where you got the info that people aren't friendly; I have found them friendly in response to friendliness; before a greeting, they don't expect to be greeted generally; but they usually respond nicely...usually. The nice thing for me is proximity to mountains and oceans all within an hour or so drive; that is rare. Cultural diversity is a real strength here, andyou'll find vigorous discussion about political and religious themes. What's more to like?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM

203 posts, read 720,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBob View Post
Traffic is often cited as a Seattle problem, and during rush hours it is a pain; but I've been stuck on LA freeways enough to think that Seattle isn't that much worse than many towns. I'm not sure where you got the info that people aren't friendly; I have found them friendly in response to friendliness; before a greeting, they don't expect to be greeted generally; but they usually respond nicely...usually. The nice thing for me is proximity to mountains and oceans all within an hour or so drive; that is rare. Cultural diversity is a real strength here, andyou'll find vigorous discussion about political and religious themes. What's more to like?
I agree with you 100%

I've seen traffic equally as bad in Los Angeles, Denver, Colorado Springs, and sometimes, even Salt Lake city. The proximity of sea, mountains, skiing, rivers, streams, lakes, parks, zoos, and wildlife are also things that i think that make this place so great. That's not even mentioning within the confines of the Seattle metro area we have an endless list of places we can go, see, eat, etc. If you come here and are bored.. then you're clearly not leaving the house. Ethnic and cultural diversity is great as well because no matter what you're into.. here you can find like minded individuals, and you can do so easily.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuturbo View Post
I agree with you 100%

I've seen traffic equally as bad in Los Angeles, Denver, Colorado Springs, and sometimes, even Salt Lake city. The proximity of sea, mountains, skiing, rivers, streams, lakes, parks, zoos, and wildlife are also things that i think that make this place so great. That's not even mentioning within the confines of the Seattle metro area we have an endless list of places we can go, see, eat, etc. If you come here and are bored.. then you're clearly not leaving the house. Ethnic and cultural diversity is great as well because no matter what you're into.. here you can find like minded individuals, and you can do so easily.
This is the great things about most cities, that whatever your interests, you are likely to find those like yourself.
In small towns you often have 'to go along to get along'. In cities you are more free to 'be you' and find others who think the same way. You do not have to be on guard, not wanting to offend anyone or start a controversy.
I have spent most of my life in towns and will retire in a city.
I have friends here, but they are in other small cities, miles away.
I would think that just the concentration of population in a city will make it easier to find people that you can be social with without spending so much time in my car, getting there and coming back.
No wonder some people have guests sleeping over so often. I used to think that was so strange.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is the great things about most cities, that whatever your interests, you are likely to find those like yourself.
In small towns you often have 'to go along to get along'. In cities you are more free to 'be you' and find others who think the same way. You do not have to be on guard, not wanting to offend anyone or start a controversy.
I have spent most of my life in towns and will retire in a city.
I have friends here, but they are in other small cities, miles away.
I would think that just the concentration of population in a city will make it easier to find people that you can be social with without spending so much time in my car, getting there and coming back.
No wonder some people have guests sleeping over so often. I used to think that was so strange.
I have to tell you that if you are expecting to be free to be whoever you choose to be in Seattle, you MAY be in for a real disappointment. It is very a consensus driven city and you will need to go along to get along here in almost any employment situation. Now, if you are that type of person, then you CAN be free to be yourself. But if you are bit roguish, or an individualist, or are a crazy libertarian, or have lots of opinions that you like to share, you may find that people smile and nod at you a lot but you may not find true acceptance. I am not making any kind of value judgment on this, it is what it is.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 AM

86 posts, read 312,436 times
I won't dispense opinions about Seattle's cultural/populace aspects.. too time-consuming.

I'll cover the easiest: weather. Here's the unfiltered, non-tongue-in-cheek truth from a former 10-year resident.

- the first winter will be very, very hard on you

- clear to partly-cloudy skies DOMINATE after the 4th of July, through end of Sept.. don't let the truth-benders here convince you otherwise

- grass will begin turning brown in late May. It will be entirely brown sometime in June and stay that way until until early October.

- rain diminishes substantially after around mid-Feb to early March. From then, through the 4th, you'll get the inconsequential periodic drizzle or intermittent cloudburst. And PLENTY of sunshine days intermixed.

- the only uncomfortably hot period is a roughly 2-3 week span that hits sometime in late July or August.

In a nutshell: if you think you can mentally cope with winter, go for it. Just know that it means 4 months of almost unending, persistent drizzle & rain, gray, and a span of 40-60 consecutive days of precip (at some point during the winter).

You'll also need to cope with the summertime, burned-out landscaping. Coming from deep green midwest, this was actually harder on me than the winter..I welcomed the winter greenness of Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area