Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:48 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

For those that don't enjoy the weather please keep it in the other thread, this thread was for people who enjoy the weather.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 63,873 times
I LOVE Seattle weather! I grew up here, so I'm used to it & really enjoy it. Okay, it'll rain enough that you won't always want to go *out* in it... but there are plenty of rainy day things to do. And personally, I don't mind getting out & being in the rain either. I grew up on Lake Cresent & used to go swimming in the rain all the time. Now every once in a while I'll take a walk in it, and I work outside almost everyday. So long as my toes stay dry @ work, I'm happy.

My husband & I are moving to Hawaii next year. I know I'll miss the few times of year that we get snow here, but I'm hoping the perpetual summer will make up for it. lol I am however very happy that Hawaii gets as much rain as Seattle, I'd miss that way too much.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times
Default I grew up here and I love it

I actually like the rainy, drizzly days (esp on a hike with a rain parka on). As an outsider, the thing you have to consider is not so much the rain/clouds that get most of the attention, its the amount of sunlight. Since we are one of the northernmost cities, the winters are a little bit darker (it will be dark when you leave for work and dark when you get home). That combined with the frequent overcast days make it very dark, and a lot of people get S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder - lack of sunlight).

The summers are the opposite, and it will be light outside past 9pm on many summer nights. The summer tends to be warmer and sunny as well (temps usually 65-85 deg).

The weather is definately not for everyone though, and many people absolutely hate it. I personally look at it that even when there are bad weather days, it just helps you appriciate the good ones all the more.

Also, Seattle may have alot of "bad" weather, but it almost never has "terrible" weather. The thunderstorms, high winds, heavy snow, flooding, etc that hit most cities several times a year usually skip Seattle altogether (this year was of course the 1 in 50 exeption!). If they do show up, it is usually 1-2 times a year.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,874 times
I like the misty rain we get here. It feels good on the skin.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:57 AM

13 posts, read 104,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
Wow, I can't believe that some people would consider Seattle's weather to be bad.

You want bad weather come down to Texas. Seriously.

I'm from Dallas, and in this part of Texas the weather is very, VERY hot. Between the months of May and September the temperatures are regularly over 100F. A day when we get down into the 90s is a welcome relief.

I'm not exaggerating. Sure, hot temps and sunny skies may sound ideal to some on the outside looking in; but I promise you it is unberable.

During the summer nobody spends more than 40 minutes outdoors if they don't have to. If they are outdoors for longer then its done by a pool or lake. Otherwise, all other activities such as jogging, rollerblading, even walking around has to be cut short otherwise you risk heat exaustion.

If the extream heat wasn't enough to make a person want to stay away, there is more. Let me tell you about the insect infestation we have here.

During those same burning summe months, every insect species known to man hatches and begins buzzing around. Sure, some like crickets and june bugs are no more than an annoyance; but most others make your life hell.

They will literally run you back indoors. Some smarter people will wait until night-time to play outdoor sports when the temps go down into the high 80s low 90s. What they didn't count on were the insects that latch on to your skin and suck you dry.

So there you are, outside trying to enjoy yourself and not think about the fact that you are melting like an icecube. Meanwhile every 10 seconds your hand slaps another part of your body as you get stung yet again by little bugs you can barely see.

People may complain about the "dark, grey" Seattle weather during 9 months of the year, but try living in Dallas weather for 5 months where you can't even handle going outside. Then during December and Janurary we get some extreme cold temepratures.

Don't take that as Dallas having 4 seasons because we don't. We have extreme heat during most of the year, then very cold temps during 1 1/2 months.

Currently around here it has already begun heating up. Its only March and yesterday we were already in the mid 80s. The intolerable heat is comming and we are already cringing.

Personally I plan on moving up to Seattle within the next year, 2 at the most. The weather is only a major factor in my decision. Beautiful scenery, educated and open minded people, and the great lifestyle are other factors which has led me up to the area.

I just hope I can find a decent apartment not too far away from SeaTac airport and also not too far away from the downtown area.
wow i completely agree with you. i'm from El paso, Texas and the weather is worse i think. we NEVER see rain. Last year we broke a record, and we are so used to having no rain, that the city actually began to flood! i doubt anyone had flood insurance...

Old 03-25-2007, 01:30 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,514 times
I grew up in Washington state and don't have a problem with the weather. Just moved because of the commute and job opportunities. Tired of a place with only a couple of inches of rain per year. Kids and I are excited the second we see the rain.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,818 times
I love the rain. I especially love the feel of the mist on your face.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:15 PM

139 posts, read 1,217,206 times
Ah yes the only thing anyone on these forums care about how many days of sun you get not culture, the envirnoment, but days of sun. Me personally, I love the climate temperate mild never gets to hot or to cold and the air quality is one of the best for a major metro in the country and you can be outside almost year round with the expection of true downpours. Having sun is great when you can comfortably be out in it but six months of desert heat or swampy heat with air pollution no thanks. I'll take the beautiful pacific northwest hands down.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
PNW

16 posts, read 79,855 times
Default Hawaii rain not comparable

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebeans View Post
I LOVE Seattle weather! I grew up here, so I'm used to it & really enjoy it. Okay, it'll rain enough that you won't always want to go *out* in it... but there are plenty of rainy day things to do. And personally, I don't mind getting out & being in the rain either. I grew up on Lake Cresent & used to go swimming in the rain all the time. Now every once in a while I'll take a walk in it, and I work outside almost everyday. So long as my toes stay dry @ work, I'm happy.

My husband & I are moving to Hawaii next year. I know I'll miss the few times of year that we get snow here, but I'm hoping the perpetual summer will make up for it. lol I am however very happy that Hawaii gets as much rain as Seattle, I'd miss that way too much.
I lived in Hawaii for 7 years. I hope you won't be disappointed, but rain there can't be compared to rain here in Seattle. Rain there is like a hot shower on a hot day. Rain here is cooling and refreshing! It cleans the air. If Seattle didn't have rain, its air would probably be as bad as LA's. I climbed to the top of Mt. Pilchuck in August one year (typically the month with the least rain). Looking south I could see the taller downtown Seattle buildings rising above the dirty brown layer of air hovering over the I-5 corridor.

Last edited by PNW; 04-14-2007 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-15-2007, 07:06 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Anyone who says sunshine is the only thing that brings happiness has never danced in the rain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area