Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:18 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times

Advertisements

How happy are you in Seattle? Do you want to move back or move somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM

129 posts, read 388,520 times
I'm interested in this as well...as we're contemplating a move from nyc to seattle

Old 09-29-2009, 02:53 PM

15 posts, read 57,072 times
I am interested as well... as we're contemplating a move from FL to SEA

Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM

7 posts, read 33,880 times
not sure if this counts, as we literally just moved 10 days ago if you include the 8 days of driving across the country from NYC to WA.... we moved because

1 - people are nicer
2 - the outdoor activities are more plentiful and more accessible than in NY
3 - the huge trees everywhere
4 - much bigger apartment + amenities at much lower rents
5 - did I mention that people are nicer?
6 - even the "less than desirable" neighborhoods are tolerable
7 - i wanted a car and it's much easier to have a car here than in NY
8 - the views here are amazing and plentiful and of trees & water rather than skyscrapers
9 - people are nicer

Old 09-29-2009, 10:34 PM

164 posts, read 430,279 times
I moved about a year and a half ago from Philadelphia and I can tell you that there's a lot less traffic noise, a whole lot of green, and yes, people are nicer. In particular I've had excellent experiences with my health care professionals. I never feel like I am being "processed." It's a much more laid back city vibe. Also, surprisingly, the restaurants are very good and the quality of ingredients (especially seafood) beats the hell out of the east coast.

We moved for my husband's job, but we had already fallen for the city. Housing is not nearly as expensive as NYC and we got big windows, our own plot of land (no more rowhouse!), and great views of mountains and water everywhere.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:28 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Hi movingwiththewind,

My SO and I are originally from LI (but have lived in NYC) and lived in Seattle for 5 years before recently moving away. There are many lovely things about the PNW and my thought is how much you like it will depend on what you're looking for.

It is a beautiful area of the country, especially if you enjoy outdoor activities. Great food, although the specialties are different than NY; very liberal populace; much different climate and scenery than the NE; public transportation is not as encompassing as in NYC, though there have been recent developments on the light-rail, etc. and it really depends where you live relative to where you want to work/recreate how good you'll find the public transit to be; population-wise Seattle is much less congested than NYC; rents are much lower than in NYC although buying real estate is still reasonably expensive (though not as prohibitive as in NY) - there are a few knowledgeable posters on this forum who can speak to housing costs more thoroughly than I.

We found Seattle to be have a smaller-town mentality and be less diverse than some of the cities of the northeast, and didn't particularly find the people to be nicer. We really enjoyed our first two years, but by year five were ready to leave - for us, the east coast is a better fit.

However, I have friends from the NE who moved to Seattle and wouldn't live anywhere else now. Take home point is just that Seattle culture is somewhat different from NY culture (not good or bad, just different). Good luck with your decision! Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 33,880 times
Definitely different cultures. I grew up on the west coast, so I'm more comfortable ultimately with that kind of vibe. NYC was great and exciting when I moved there as a younger, post-college single female, but since getting married and wanting to settle down, I longed for the west coast. The thought of trying to raise a family in NYC was ridiculous, in my opinion - just very different from what I was used to.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dloqi View Post
- the views here are amazing and plentiful and of trees & water rather than skyscrapers
I especially like this one. This is what I'm looking for.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:47 PM

233 posts, read 752,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I especially like this one. This is what I'm looking for.
One of the best things about Seattle-trees and plants compete for space just about equally even in the dense neighborhoods. You feel connected to nature here everyday.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Hi movingwiththewind,

My SO and I are originally from LI (but have lived in NYC) and lived in Seattle for 5 years before recently moving away. There are many lovely things about the PNW and my thought is how much you like it will depend on what you're looking for.

It is a beautiful area of the country, especially if you enjoy outdoor activities. Great food, although the specialties are different than NY; very liberal populace; much different climate and scenery than the NE; public transportation is not as encompassing as in NYC, though there have been recent developments on the light-rail, etc. and it really depends where you live relative to where you want to work/recreate how good you'll find the public transit to be; population-wise Seattle is much less congested than NYC; rents are much lower than in NYC although buying real estate is still reasonably expensive (though not as prohibitive as in NY) - there are a few knowledgeable posters on this forum who can speak to housing costs more thoroughly than I.

We found Seattle to be have a smaller-town mentality and be less diverse than some of the cities of the northeast, and didn't particularly find the people to be nicer. We really enjoyed our first two years, but by year five were ready to leave - for us, the east coast is a better fit.

However, I have friends from the NE who moved to Seattle and wouldn't live anywhere else now. Take home point is just that Seattle culture is somewhat different from NY culture (not good or bad, just different). Good luck with your decision! Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
I'm the same as eastwesteastagain. Beautiful city, small town feel, locals weren't that friendly, great seafood but missed really great Italian food, great Italian pizza, Bagels (it's that NYC tap water that makes the dough), tastykakes. Business culture is also very different than the east coast. Very passive aggressive and a bit psychofrenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area