Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times

Advertisements

Hands - frequently. Hands communicate diseases and infection to every orifice in the body, including the ears and eyes.

Face - at least twice a day, oftener if I am out getting dirty in the garden, with the critters, butchering, and especially sweating.

Body - have to at least do a sponge bath once a day, more if I am outside. I do this for several reasons; one, being still in the outside edges of menopause I sweat - not perspire, not "become dewy", SWEAT - prodigiously and frequently. Two - especially when it is cold, the warmth of the water/cloth and rubbing/friction helps my arthritis. I keep a pot of water on the woodstove and will melt snow in it if I have to, to bathe.

Teeth - well, I brush at least twice a day. Fortunately I can take them out and get all the nooks and crannies of Granny-teeth when I do! The choppers must be clean, otherwise things get underneath them and irritate the gums.

Washing clothes - that depends. I'm stocked up on a lot of underclothes as well as outerwear, for all different seasons. So I can go at least two weeks without washing clothes and still change out every day. I will wear the same jeans and bras two, occasionally three days in a row unless I get them really wet, filthy from mucking out or bloody from butchering, etc.

As an EMT, personal hygiene became VERY important to me; I've seen what happens when people don't clean their fingernails and hands to go eat, or don't wash for days or weeks on end. They introduce micro-organisms into their orifices that can cause severe disability; from fungal growths that can invade an open wound to MERSA to gangrene (which is not only a wartime disease; I worked on 10 people in 5 years with it!), from diarrhea to stomach diseases, from a 'minor' strep throat to a raging systemic infection. Your skin is your major defense against illness; a sudden, deep and unexpected cut on dirty skin can introduce thousands of bacteria into a system immediately. Since I have systemic lupus, I am very careful about preventing infections that can rapidly escalate to life-threatening problems with my immune system - sometimes in a matter of HOURS. One of my BF's and I are "bleachy people" - we use bleach for cleaning practically everything except our own skin. A 10% bleach solution will kill every single virus and micro-organism within 10 minutes on any surface, even a blood-covered one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
One of my BF's and I are "bleachy people" - we use bleach for cleaning practically everything except our own skin. A 10% bleach solution will kill every single virus and micro-organism within 10 minutes on any surface, even a blood-covered one.
Oddly enough, despite being what some might consider a filthy, smelly person, as per my above answers to my hypotheticals.... I am also a "bleach person." While I don't necessarily scour all surfaces with it, what I use it for, I lay it down pretty heavy (enough to choke any guests of family out - which I always find to be a source of amusement).

My parents are ammonia and Pine Sol people. Drives me absolutely nuts in an OCD sort of way (and vice-versa, they hate when I use chlorine bleach instead of ammonia). I sort of have this rivalry where I despise ammonia and Pine Sol, and simply think bleach is a better all-around product. I don't know why people still use ammonia or 'Pine Sol' type products. It strikes me as a very antiquated 1950'ish product. Likewise, certain types of Windex are not anti-bacterial either, yet people apply them all over, thinking they are.

I hate Pine-Sol. Bleach... all the way.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Hands: several times daily (at least before handling food/eating)

Face: daily

Body: weekly

Those are my minimums and what I would defer to if I had no running water.
Yes. I have also researched and practice more primitive hygiene; anthropology is a hobby of mine.

The ancient concept of cleansing was to rid the body of impurities and excretions, not to just clean it off. This is my belief as well.

Cleaning the body included applications of clay/earth, oil, spirits and tinctures, water... but sweat lodges, saunas, ritual dancing, and imbibing emetics was also common and considered vital to health. As was the gymasium of the GrecoRomans.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Well, it really depends...

Brushing teeth, that is big for me, I do it at least three times, sometimes four times a day, or more...

Bathing, again, I shower two or three times a day, especially if I have been out doing yard work.

Clothes washing, that all depends on what I have been doing, working out...gotta be washed ASAP ...hanging out...they are okay for a few more wears...

I have lived without running water, for about a month, and I resorted to bathing in the creek by our house, not the greatest, or warmest, but when you have no running water...it was okay. People don't realize that water is pumped with electricity, no electric...no water....

Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Oddly enough, despite being what some might consider a filthy, smelly person, as per my above answers to my hypotheticals.... I am also a "bleach person." While I don't necessarily scour all surfaces with it, what I use it for, I lay it down pretty heavy (enough to choke any guests of family out - which I always find to be a source of amusement).

My parents are ammonia and Pine Sol people. Drives me absolutely nuts in an OCD sort of way (and vice-versa, they hate when I use chlorine bleach instead of ammonia). I sort of have this rivalry where I despise ammonia and Pine Sol, and simply think bleach is a better all-around product. I don't know why people still use ammonia or 'Pine Sol' type products. It strikes me as a very antiquated 1950'ish product. Likewise, certain types of Windex are not anti-bacterial either, yet people apply them all over, thinking they are.

I hate Pine-Sol. Bleach... all the way.

Funny you should mention that - just today, DH called me at work to ask if I had any ammonia, as a wasp stung him when he grasped a board. I told him, no, absolutely not - he had to go into his 'jump bag' and find a "popper" - the ammonia capsules we used on patients who fainted (or were too drunk to wake up). He remembered the tobacco trick, too, but tobacco is getting so darned expensive!

Pine-Sol, ammonia, YUK! The chemicals they put in the air (no matter how they perfume them!) as well as leave on surfaces to attract and hold MORE bacteria later are not worth the trouble. Vinegar for windows!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:26 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
When I was a kid, I took a bath once a week, every Saturday night. I always assumed this was so I'd be clean for church Sunday morning. The rest of the week, I was fine. Of course, I wasn't married yet, back then. Now, DW has certain standards. You menfolk out there who are married, you know what I'm talking about! A little bit of sweaty feet, and they are grossed out!

Like most of you, we are still living in civilization. Even if I was NOT living in civilization (such as SHTF), DW would still have her standards. Things would have to get awfully bad before she'd cave. Maybe she'd never cave. I personally doubt if much of this hot shower stuff and perfume-y soap and such has anything to do with "health". Maybe that was the name of class in school where it was taught..."Hygiene" or something like it. I recall us pre-teen and early teen buys, wondering how we'd ever get through life, if we had to do all of that stuff! But even those who did not get into it, did not suffer any health effects.

It was just tough to get a girlfriend. THOSE could be hazardous to your health -- and your wealth!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,459 times
About a year ago I was caught out in the bush on a hunting/fishing excursion. Roughly 3 days into it I developed an AWFUL toothache that really took me by surprise. After a day of trying to numb the pain with JD and attaining zero relief, I was wondering why I didn't get at least a little relief from the alchol. As I eventually found out it was due to a filling that was put in years ago over a cavity that wasn't fully removed.

With only two pair of pliers, one of them being needle nose and both of them previously being used the prior 2 or 3 days on fish, I decided to go the old fashion method. With only a small bush mirror, I decided to extract it myself.

The first thing I did was clean both pair of pliers with alchol the best I could. Then I placed them over an open flame to kill any other bacteria that I thought may still be on them. Especially from the fish. Thats when I started to pull. As I was pulling, my tooth started to make cracking sounds when all of the sudden ,half-way out my tooth shattered. Lots of blood, lots of pain but at that point I just didn't have the option of stopping. So that is when the needle nose came into use. After getting one particular piece out the pain was instantly gone.
I continued to use the needle nose for cleanup of smaller pieces that I could still pull out.

I then had a fear of getting a bad infection, so I rinsed my mouth out with the alcohol and then did the only other thing that I figured would kill any infection. I heated up the needle nose again and singed my gum.

Its been roughly a year since then and I never had any problem other than having smaller pieces work their way out time to time. Not sure if it was luck, skill or a little bit of both. But if anyone is ever in that situation, all I can say is that it worked for me.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
About a year ago I was caught out in the bush on a hunting/fishing excursion. Roughly 3 days into it I developed an AWFUL toothache that really took me by surprise. After a day of trying to numb the pain with JD and attaining zero relief, I was wondering why I didn't get at least a little relief from the alchol. As I eventually found out it was due to a filling that was put in years ago over a cavity that wasn't fully removed.

With only two pair of pliers, one of them being needle nose and both of them previously being used the prior 2 or 3 days on fish, I decided to go the old fashion method. With only a small bush mirror, I decided to extract it myself.

The first thing I did was clean both pair of pliers with alchol the best I could. Then I placed them over an open flame to kill any other bacteria that I thought may still be on them. Especially from the fish. Thats when I started to pull. As I was pulling, my tooth started to make cracking sounds when all of the sudden ,half-way out my tooth shattered. Lots of blood, lots of pain but at that point I just didn't have the option of stopping. So that is when the needle nose came into use. After getting one particular piece out the pain was instantly gone.
I continued to use the needle nose for cleanup of smaller pieces that I could still pull out.

I then had a fear of getting a bad infection, so I rinsed my mouth out with the alcohol and then did the only other thing that I figured would kill any infection. I heated up the needle nose again and singed my gum.

Its been roughly a year since then and I never had any problem other than having smaller pieces work their way out time to time. Not sure if it was luck, skill or a little bit of both. But if anyone is ever in that situation, all I can say is that it worked for me.
Son of a *****! Your entire story had me cringing from beginning to end. You sure you didn't just read this in a Stephen King novel? All I can say is that you have a lot more stones that I do...

Old 09-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,878 times
After breaking my leg a few weeks ago, I found out just how important all of these things were to me. I was quite upset when some of my regular practices I had taken for granted had to be put off due to an inability to do them without great difficulty and much help.
  • Brush your teeth?
After every meal. Also after awakening. The last thing I want is to end up with dental issues caused by lack of brushing/flossing.
  • Wash up lightly, but not take a full bath/shower?
Every day. If needed, due to sweating or other issues, even more often. Not only does it get rid of potential sources of skin irritation, it is refreshing when one is in pain or unwell and does much to help you feel better. And this does not take much water. Hands get washed frequently, after bathrooming, eating, using my computer, feeding or handling my pets, before and during cooking or handling of food, etc. I also keep hand sanitizer around for use when I can't wash. Hands are the main source of germ transmission, and while not a germophobe as such, it is a prudent practice to keep one's exposure to potential pathogens minimized. A good example is restaraunt menus, which are handled by many people who can deposit all manner of germs on them, and they are usually only wiped down at best when obviously dirty by the restaurant staff. After handling a menu I always use hand sanitizer.
  • Take a full bath or shower?
At least twice a week. I found myself feeling unclean and in need of more cleansing than simply dragging a damp cloth over my body. In spite of pain pills, I found the pain caused sweating episodes and so did the extra effort involved in moving myself around without being able to place any weight on my broken leg. Not to mention the pain from moving, period, or whenever my leg was bumped or jostled by my husband or dogs. But it was quite difficult even with help for the first two weeks. I found myself washing my hair more frequently due to the sweating episodes as well. Usually it does not need washing more than once a week unless I am doing something that will get it (and me) dirty because I do not use styling products that need to be washed out.
  • Change your clothes?
Daily, more often if needed. I found my night clothes needing changed more frequently than usual since I was wearing them rather than my regular clothing at first. Normally, unless my clothing gets dirty for some reason it can be worn more than once, except for underthings and socks.
  • Wash your clothes?
As often as needed. Once they are no longer suitable to be worn again I prefer to wash them as soon as possible in order to minimize any staining. And as I am a relative minimalist, I have few articles of clothing I wear on a regular basis so keeping them clean is a must if I wish to have something to wear.

Most people have far more articles of clothing than they really need. I find it easier to have less, but suitable for the season. I do have quite a bit more underthings and socks. But outer wear is pretty much only 4-5 changes of clothing for each season, with a few extras for special occasions and a couple of very nice things for very special occasions. It makes it a lot easier keeping my drawers and closets organized, and makes seasonal replacements much more affordable.

My typical summer wardrobe for example is 2 pair of light jeans, and 3 pair of shorts. Three lightweight colored jersey type shirts, a couple of plain white t-shirts, and a couple of tank type tops. A nice pair of pants and a couple of blouses for going out, and a nice dress for special things like weddings or something. My shoes are likewise limited to a few items. I just don't see a need to have closets full of things I will rarely wear, just to have them. I don't judge others for wanting more than I have, I can afford to have much more but I just don't want or need to have more.

I do have a different wardrobe for each season though, and replace anything that gets signs of wear. I find all of my clothing fits in a few drawers and a small section of my closet, and I like it that way. In general, because I have so little, I tend to wash clothes a couple of times a week. Other things like towels and bedding get washed weekly.

None of this is to conform to anyone else's standards of cleanliness or appearances. I rarely wear makeup due to allergies, I do not style my hair using sprays etc (though I have nice selection of hairsticks, hair forks, and clips to put my hair up due to its length, my one big self-indulgence), nor do I wear perfumes. I have the same standards for my state of cleanliness when alone as I do when seeing other people. The only exception is a temporary state of lesser cleanliness when doing such things as yardwork, or extensive housecleaning, or outdoor activities such as camping. And I expect those temporary states of lesser cleanliness are dealt with the same as you would...I wash as soon as I can after such activities and put on clean clothing.

Even when camping, I keep clean. I brush my teeth, wash and shower, and change my clothing as needed to be comfortable and clean.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
We recently had a new water heater put in. We didn't have hot water for a few days and did quite well just boiling some and sponge bathing in the sink. No one smelled bad and we didn't need as much water as we thought we would. We did have the advantage that it's summer and the tap water wasn't too cold for rinsing off.

My needs would be brushing my teeth at least twice a day, and a sponge bath once a day would be nice. Don't think I could go more than two days without getting cranky. I prefer to wash my hair at least every other day, but could go more of course. Teeth and body cleaning come first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness