Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 11:49 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Lots of available 30 cal bullets. 9mm works too.
Unlike semi autos which are picky with loads. Revolvers can accept almost any load including black powder.
They will be around.
No doubt. But as far as "the last", wheel guns are outnumbered these days by tons of other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 01:19 PM

178 posts, read 173,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
No doubt. But as far as "the last", wheel guns are outnumbered these days by tons of other options.
Im a glock fan myself.
However I have many worn out guns in my collection of all types. Not a single one is a revolver.

I still have my pythons I bought in 1975 which ive shot just about as much as any other handgun.
after all these years and all the rounds thru them they still work well.

But I believe all the semi autos will be hanging on someones wall or being turned into rebar due to the lack of ammo and spare parts before too long.

Not much to go wrong with the revolver either in the parts department or availability of even poor quality ammo.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:45 PM

10,758 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Lots of available 30 cal bullets. 9mm works too.
Unlike semi autos which are picky with loads. Revolvers can accept almost any load including black powder.
They will be around.
You do understand those aren't the same, don't you? .30 cal won't work in a .357, and a 9mm, while it will work, is sub-optimal.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You do understand those aren't the same, don't you? .30 cal won't work in a .357, and a 9mm, while it will work, is sub-optimal.
Not optimal is much better than not working at all.

All it takes to get a 308 bullet into a 357 case/bore is a little die and a hammer. They are lead and copper after all.

We are not talking about days of normality here.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:

All it takes to get a 308 bullet into a 357 case/bore is a little die and a hammer. They are lead and copper after all.

That's a bit beyond the limit of a bump die which, by the way, is used in a swaging press, not with a hammer. This is not something done around the campfire either.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:

You've just confirmed for everyone that you really don't know what you're talking about. A .308 is .049-.050 too small.

A "little die and a hammer" won't do it. And if you somehow did manage to cobble together this abortion of a cartridge, the bullet would be bouncing down the barrel, with no rifling engagement. And no accuracy.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's a bit beyond the limit of a bump die which, by the way, is used in a swaging press, not with a hammer. This is not something done around the campfire either.
Even with a swaging press, you aren't going to swage a .308 UP in diameter to .357.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You've just confirmed for everyone that you really don't know what you're talking about. A .308 is .049-.050 too small.

A "little die and a hammer" won't do it. And if you somehow did manage to cobble together this abortion of a cartridge, the bullet would be bouncing down the barrel, with no rifling engagement. And no accuracy.
Die is little because the bullet is little.
Didnt say anything about a little hammer.

I think you are thinking about necking down the case.
The point is to expand the bullet.
I still even have the dies someplace.
Did it a lot as a kid. Learned from My grandpa and the techniques were taught at our local 4h gun club. We also learned to make an entire hand gun and rifle from scratch. Including gunpowder and primers,

Also like I said. Perfection isnt the idea. results is.
The guy with the pen knife in the fight, when all else is equal will win.

You guys really need to work on your improvisation and thinking outside the box if you want to survive in this sort of situation

Old 05-14-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Even with a swaging press, you aren't going to swage a .308 UP in diameter to .357.
As long as it is not AP, You can form it to any shape you want. Like I said before it is simply lead in a thin copper jacket. Soft annealed copper at that.
Try hitting a bullet with a hammer. They are not very hard. Not at all.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Die is little because the bullet is little.
Didnt say anything about a little hammer.

I think you are thinking about necking down the case.
The point is to expand the bullet.
I still even have the dies someplace.
Did it a lot as a kid. Learned from My grandpa and the techniques were taught at our local 4h gun club. We also learned to make an entire hand gun and rifle from scratch. Including gunpowder and primers.
No way. Post your evidence, if you have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness