Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 12:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Spoken like a true collectivist and dependency advocate.

No, we do not "all need each other." That's collectivist nonsense. We need each other's resources and skills at times. Big difference. But once those resources are procured, tell me why "we need each other"? So someone else made the jars. So someone else made the cook range. So someone else made the 2x4s in the cabin. So someone else made the kerosene lamp. So what? Are they all going to vaporize because they are used in isolation?

Here's a rather simplistic analogy for you, but it gets the point across: I'm a dirt farmer in 1750. I buy a plow from you, the blacksmith, with whatever the bartering medium is at the time. Assuming your product is a good one, I don't "need you" for many, many years to come, maybe never. What I needed was your product, not you. Once I have that, I'm set. I paid you for it. We go our separate ways. We're both happy.

Now apply that idea to the essentials needed today. Once I have them, what is so baffling to you folks that I can use them in isolation without ever "needing you" again? A "prepper" MINIMIZES (not eliminates) his/her dependence on others. No sane person ever claimed that he/she can exist 100% autonomously. And stating that "preppers" claim they can exist 100% autonomously is an underhanded logical fallacy straw man argument that is far, far too commonly used by collectivists.

Ultimately, I need your jar, not you. Doesn't matter to me whether you made it or it dropped out of the sky.
There were no iron plows, or shovels, for that matter, in 1750. They were wooden. If a farmer purchased them, the bartering medium would have been money.

Preppers are timid people who are afraid to use the word survivalist. They certainly don't seem to have anything. Those on this forum seem to be almost exclusively government employees or retirees.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 12-23-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 PM

8,949 posts, read 4,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Preppers are timid people who are afraid to use the word survivalist. They certainly don't seem to have anything. Those on this forum seem to be almost exclusively government employees or retirees.
And where do you fit in?
What do you have to contribute to this forum,
other than "make a lot of money"?

Old 12-23-2017, 01:25 PM

25,798 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Quote:
There were no iron plows or shovels, for that matter, in 1750. They were wooden. If a farmer purchased them, the bartering medium would have been money.

I think it is that prepper/survivalist/self-sufficiency/etc mingling of definitions striking again. I can give you my definitions, but they are probably not going to align with yours. In my way of thinking, they all go in the direction of "self-sufficient living." The differences are just in the methodology. But again, once the initial groundwork for the lifestyle is established (in whatever "style" you choose), dependency on others is minimized. And of course, that is the intent in the first place. The typical collectivist doesn't seem to understand that, and they often go back to something along the lines of Obama's famous "you didn't build that" remark or the more general declaration from the government and society at large: "you can't live without me."

The intent of every self-sufficiency advocate I've ever communicated with has never been to claim he/she is going to live 100% independent of everyone else and be 100% dependent only upon himself/herself, only that he/she is going to minimize the dependency on others and maximize the dependency on himself/herself. Too often, that statement is distorted by the collectivist. Of course, the collectivist is offended in the first place that you want to live outside the collective.

As for the plow... yes, before the early decades of the nineteenth century, the moldboards were wood, but the share and coulter were most often metal long before that (thus the reference to the blacksmith in that other post)

There were in fact earlier attempts at metal moldboards as well: in 1720, the first English patent for a wooden moldboard sheathed with iron was issued.

And as for money being used, sure, it would have been used in the established eastern US (mainly gold/silver). But not as universally in the hinterlands out west. There was definitely an active barter economy in many areas. For that matter, there was a good deal of bartering in my grandparent's time in rural America--I remember it well. And I'm sure there still is away from the modern techno-collective.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-23-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 02:25 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Those on this forum seem to be almost exclusively government employees or retirees.
And you base this on...what??

I am neither. But for the record, I respect anyone who earns a living honestly, regardless of their employer. Certainly better than collecting a handout from the government!

Old 12-23-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
And you base this on...what??
They brag about it. How many posts have you seen from people bragging about military service? I've seen far too many. The draft ended forty-four years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I am neither. But for the record, I respect anyone who earns a living honestly, regardless of their employer. Certainly better than collecting a handout from the government!
Government employees do get handouts from government. They're just as parasitic as any other welfare bums. Government employment is for those who wish to have a soft berth and little chance of ever being fired. Government employment is not earning a living honestly.

We know that as long as there is government, it will be necessary to have some employees. Traditionally, government employees received low pay and commanded little respect. Today, however, they receive obscene pay and consider themselves to be the elite. The sheeple go along with it. The area around Washington, D.C. has so many government employees that they have actual political control. Everyone knows how official welfare parasites vote; they vote for the same candidates and the same values as do the "employed" elite.

At one time the armed forces were not allowed to vote; we must reinstate that intelligent policy and extend it to all government employees apart from elected officials and their staffs. The red, rosy-fingered dawn will be upon us.

Merry Christmas to all of the true elite.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 12-23-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
modern techno-collective.
I call it capitalism!

Old 12-23-2017, 03:49 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Quote:
They brag about it. How many posts have you seen from people bragging about military service? I've seen far too many. The draft ended forty-four years ago.

Government employees do get handouts from government. They're just as parasitic as any other welfare bums. Government employment is for those who wish to have a soft berth and little chance of ever being fired. Government employment is not earning a living honestly.

We know that as long as there is government, it will be necessary to have some employees. Traditionally, government employees received low pay and commanded little respect. Today, however, they receive obscene pay and consider themselves to be the elite. The sheeple go along with it. The area around Washington, D.C. has so many government employees that they have actual political control. Everyone knows how official welfare parasites vote; they vote for the same candidates and the same values as do the "employed" elite.

At one time the armed forces were not allowed to vote; we must reinstate that intelligent policy and extend it to all government employees apart from elected officials and their staffs. The red, rosy-fingered dawn will be upon us.

What the heck?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2017, 04:24 PM

25,798 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Quote:
I call it capitalism!
No, no, it's way beyond that. Capitalism was around in the Victorian era just the same as it is around today--maybe more so.

I'm talking more about the direction of society with respect to technology. I don't hate that Apple or Samsung makes smartphones, I hate that the entirety of society has become enslaved and dependent on such devices. I hate that they even exist. Some would call that technophobia. No, it's not. I'm not afraid of technology at all and certainly use technology to my advantage when I feel it is an advantage. Conversely, I call the state of our techno-society which drools over each new gadget, technophelia--the unhealthy love of technology simply because it exists, regardless of whether it is truly helpful to society or not. Even if it is little more than an expensive annoyance.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:32 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,970 times
Quote:

This entire post is pretty hard to argue wth. The bold part is my favorite and true. People should almost be ashamed and embarrassed to work for the government. Instead, it's praised as a great lifelong career choice.

Government employees are mediocre and unmotivated by definition. They stifle freedom and are arguably evil freedom haters. Most government jobs should be eliminated, but I'd be willing to compromise by not allowing them to vote as a starting point.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
No, no, it's way beyond that. Capitalism was around in the Victorian era just the same as it is around today--maybe more so.

I'm talking more about the direction of society with respect to technology. I don't hate that Apple or Samsung makes smartphones, I hate that the entirety of society has become enslaved and dependent on such devices. I hate that they even exist. Some would call that technophobia. No, it's not. I'm not afraid of technology at all and certainly use technology to my advantage when I feel it is an advantage. Conversely, I call the state of our techno-society which drools over each new gadget, technophelia--the unhealthy love of technology simply because it exists, regardless of whether it is truly helpful to society or not. Even if it is little more than an expensive annoyance.
No one is enslaved to electronic gadgetry or any other products that weren't available in 1880. They have voluntarily chosen to devote their lives to electronic entertainment of all sorts. Television sets have screens so large that it's laughable. Perspective is actually lost. But it's their decision. I'd wager if twenty people won a drawing and were given their choice of of an ounce of gold, fifteen hundred dollars worth of reference books of their choice, or the biggest television set in the store, almost all would choose the television.

Who cares? I don't need to share their preferences nor do you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness