Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times

Advertisements

The whole thing speaks more and more of desperation.

I looked online to see what retail sales predictions are being placed for the season, it seems not much better than last year overall. Most years, a healthy economy will show an increase well above the 2 Percent predicted for this year. It was suggested in one study that retail will jump 3 percent while online will shrink 3 percent, I would find this hard to believe. I much prefer online shopping, as I usually find better prices, the exact items I want, and above all else, I don't have to deal with salespeople in the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,526 times
"Brown Sunday" at Sam's club last night. Parking lot full, waited in line about 5 minutes before store opened, then took about 5 minutes before we got in. Went straight to the computers, got a $599 desktop for $400, 3 packages of Rubbermaid containers $12 off for Christmas presents, batteries $10 off, then walked up to check out immediately and left. No running, no pushing, no hollering, no fighting. Maybe it was because it was Sunday evening, or maybe it was because it was Kentucky. Who knows. But I do know I won't be out Thursday night or Friday at all.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
"Brown Sunday" at Sam's club last night. Parking lot full, waited in line about 5 minutes before store opened, then took about 5 minutes before we got in. Went straight to the computers, got a $599 desktop for $400, 3 packages of Rubbermaid containers $12 off for Christmas presents, batteries $10 off, then walked up to check out immediately and left. No running, no pushing, no hollering, no fighting. Maybe it was because it was Sunday evening, or maybe it was because it was Kentucky. Who knows. But I do know I won't be out Thursday night or Friday at all.
I noticed in two years in Louisville that people say Black Friday is realtively calm there. Sunday evening also was likely a factor.

I know one thing, I am NOT going out into a Washington DC Black Friday. I'm shopping online.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 AM

747 posts, read 1,683,149 times
It's not desperation, it's pure and simple greed. Everyone is always out to get that almighty dollar and this is another fine example of that. Truthfully everyone needs to be home on the holiday not out working. Also isn't it called Black FRIDAY....you know it's not Black Thursday. All I know is no one is getting my bucks come Thursday or Friday. I wouldn't fight that mess if someone paid me to do it!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,678,383 times
I just feel sorry for the people who thought they were going to get to spend a nice Thanksgiving with the ones they love and now have to work. Poor Thanksgiving is being squeezed out by the commercialization of Halloween and Christmas and it looks like it's only going to get worse. It's just so sad.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Well, here is mu NEW ND IMPROVED take on the issue. I am working Friday, and I found out that several people at the agency will not be working, which means all the referrels that come in will come accross my desk, onto my service, which means MORE MONEY for me.
Talk about the almighty dollar? You have a great point Carolina Dreams. Here, should I be SPENDING the almight dollar for junk made in China that will have to be replaced in a year and junk that I do not need, or should I be taking advantage of the opportunity at hand to MAKE the almighty dollars? in this case, I see a better outcome in the latter.

That being said, the kids do need a new TV and I noticed that the Walmart sale is HTursday night 10 to 11. I can walk in , get a TV, if not, They will hand out a card so I can come back and get one later before Christmas at the same price. I can walk out with that if need be. Nothing else on that list I want or need.

I suspect that after flat weekend sales (as the economy is already taking a dive based on the election results, the fear of the tax cliff, and a plethora of other fears), that prices willl drop beforre Christmas anyway.
if not, then I ask myself, DO I NEED more junk? NO! Others can have the junkthis time around. enjoy

Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
like anyhtig else it doesn';t have to if the perosn does not want it to. I have never gone for Black friday shopping;myself.Certanly I am not going shopping after eating with family and watchig games on thursday nite ;for sure.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,036 times
I feel bad for the workers. I remember the days of working retail and having to work late hours before the holiday rush. At least back then you knew there were 1 or 2 days out of the year that you couldn't be forced to work. Also, even if you did have to work a holiday stores would close early so that their employees could enjoy a little bit of the holiday if they were on the schedule that year.

I know they chose the job they have but I still empathize and I think it's pathetic that folks can't even sit their butts at home on Thanksgiving. No instead they have to run to a store to buy more crap that they don't likely need. I felt so bad when that Walmart employee was trampled to death and losers just stepped over him and kept going in the entrance to Walmart. Some people are souless.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I feel bad for the workers. I remember the days of working retail and having to work late hours before the holiday rush. At least back then you knew there were 1 or 2 days out of the year that you couldn't be forced to work. Also, even if you did have to work a holiday stores would close early so that their employees could enjoy a little bit of the holiday if they were on the schedule that year.

I know they chose the job they have but I still empathize and I think it's pathetic that folks can't even sit their butts at home on Thanksgiving. No instead they have to run to a store to buy more crap that they don't likely need. I felt so bad when that Walmart employee was trampled to death and losers just stepped over him and kept going in the entrance to Walmart. Some people are souless.
Well, it appears that the stores are opening at 8PM. Employees and shoppers will be able to have their traditional Thanksgiving feast and still have plenty of time to spend with their families before heading out for the retail festivities (for the lack of a better term).

Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The whole thing speaks more and more of desperation.

I looked online to see what retail sales predictions are being placed for the season, it seems not much better than last year overall. Most years, a healthy economy will show an increase well above the 2 Percent predicted for this year. It was suggested in one study that retail will jump 3 percent while online will shrink 3 percent, I would find this hard to believe. I much prefer online shopping, as I usually find better prices, the exact items I want, and above all else, I don't have to deal with salespeople in the stores.
And no noisy, rude douchebag customers in my way either! A few days ago, I had to pick up a few things at Target, and was amazed that over 80% of these people were practically using the store as a phone booth (I mean talking loud on their cells as they went through the store, and not always watching where they were going.) It would've been nice to have shopped in peace and quiet, and this was only during a weekday afternoon. Doesn't anyone just shop anymore, instead of always multi-tasking? Does everyone need to always be on their phones?
Yep, online shopping for me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products