Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times

Advertisements

I just cant fathom sitting outside hours before the store opens to try and get some deal. I worked retail years ago and there was stuff in the store ad that we didnt even have in stock and the items we did have, we had maybe 5. Its usually stuff that had outdated scan codes etc that the company wanted to get off the books. So people would line up hours beforehand sitting in the cold with hopes of getting something we didnt have in stock or only had a handful of.

I ran some errands today and the stores are already getting crazy. Stopped at Hobby Lobby and couldnt even get down the xmas aisles. I thought I would pick up a few decor pieces. The people in the aisles were aggressive, they acted like the stuff was free or something. I didnt bother I left. Not gonna duke it out over some cheap plastic xmas decor.

It really does depress me that retail workers dont even get Thanksgiving off anymore. Even the local grocery store is open half the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
It really does depress me that retail workers dont even get Thanksgiving off anymore. Even the local grocery store is open half the day.
Most retail stores are opening at 8PM. My guess is that retail employees have to get there as early as 6PM. If you celebrate Thanksgiving with a traditional Thanksgiving meal, you're probably done around 2PM. That gives you a few more hours with your family before you're off to work.

It's not ideal, but it's not horrible. As a retail employee, one would spend the holiday with their family, then head to work on one of the most exciting shopping experiences of the year. I'd imagine that someone in the retail industry would be passionate about providing consumers the best experience they can.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
And no noisy, rude douchebag customers in my way either! A few days ago, I had to pick up a few things at Target, and was amazed that over 80% of these people were practically using the store as a phone booth (I mean talking loud on their cells as they went through the store, and not always watching where they were going.) It would've been nice to have shopped in peace and quiet, and this was only during a weekday afternoon. Doesn't anyone just shop anymore, instead of always multi-tasking? Does everyone need to always be on their phones?
Yep, online shopping for me too.

I find that alot at Target too. It's like a part of the whole preppy, middle class social status symbol. Target and douchebaggery seem to go hand in hand.

On another note, wouldn't it be grand after a year where Target primarily lead the charge against "showrooming" that this move to open on Thanksgiving actually pushes more people to shop online and avoid the whole mess?

I really wish it would. None of these retail companies are gonna listen to any group of employees, petitions, or random comments by anybody until the money stops flowing in at the rate they expect for a prolonged period of time.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most retail stores are opening at 8PM. My guess is that retail employees have to get there as early as 6PM. If you celebrate Thanksgiving with a traditional Thanksgiving meal, you're probably done around 2PM. That gives you a few more hours with your family before you're off to work.

It's not ideal, but it's not horrible. As a retail employee, one would spend the holiday with their family, then head to work on one of the most exciting shopping experiences of the year. I'd imagine that someone in the retail industry would be passionate about providing consumers the best experience they can.
Really? I have never had a Thanksgiving meal start before 2pm.

Years ago I worked retail. I remember the craziness of the season. I am boycotting any stores that open on Thanksgiving. Not just for the day, but until the season is over. I may even do it for a year. I also know quite a few other people who will be doing the same thing.

I used to be a Black Friday shopper. Not any more.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Really? I have never had a Thanksgiving meal start before 2pm.

Years ago I worked retail. I remember the craziness of the season. I am boycotting any stores that open on Thanksgiving. Not just for the day, but until the season is over. I may even do it for a year. I also know quite a few other people who will be doing the same thing.

I used to be a Black Friday shopper. Not any more.
Then you're not celebrating with a traditional Thanksgiving meal. The meal, called noonmeat, occurs at 12PM.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Students & govt (local, county, state & fed) get the friday after t-giving off. The govt employees should thank you for the paid day off with the tax payers money.
Totally false.

Friday after Thanksgiving is not a holiday for Federal employees. But they can certainly use their personal leave if they choose.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,281 times
I think that on Thanksgiving retail employees should be able to spend the day or evening with family, without thinking about going to bed at 4pm so that they can get enough sleep before their shift.

Of course some people should expect to work holidays or work odd hours that disrupt their sleep schedule -911 operators, snowplowers, pilots, hospital or pharmacy employees, etc. But retail employees? I think they should be able to enjoy Thanksgiving.

Certain products and services should be available on holidays or at 5:00 in the morning on Black Friday. But things like apparel or electronics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
To have these sales on Thanksgiving only means a whole lot of people can't be home for the holiday because they have to work. Consumers should stay home and let the stores know they don't approve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
None of these retail companies are gonna listen to any group of employees, petitions, or random comments by anybody until the money stops flowing in at the rate they expect for a prolonged period of time.
This is true. The power is really with consumers' money and when they choose to spend it.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
This is true. The power is really with consumers' money and when they choose to spend it.
7 out of 10 people showed their support for the shopping event last year. The people have spoken.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:48 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,567 times
And they have said "Baa!"

Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Has anyone been assigned 16 hour shifts for black friday ( or heard of it)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products