Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:58 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,783,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I don't understand why clerks/merchants breach the contracts. I'm surprised that you encourage this illegal behavior.
I guess cuz I am just a rebel! After all, I even wore a hoodie all day today! I wore that hoodie when I went shopping in 2 different stores...used my CC that says "See ID", I showed ID, and CC went through with no issues!! Yep, I am a rebel.

I think I'll be wearing a hoodie tomorrow, too. It's supposed to snow and be cold, so it'll be quite comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 08:09 PM

450 posts, read 508,875 times
I wear a hoodie indoors sometimes because it keeps me warm (or the Broncos are playing!)

I can also dress like a pro, or a jock or anything else. It doesn't and shouldn't matter. I appreciate it when the clerk asks for ID. I can prove who I am, so no harm done. Just adds a few seconds to the transaction is all.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
This exposes you to greater risk! I would NEVER be foolish enough to show my id with my home address to a random clerk or waiter. If you do that you set yourself up for credit card theft and fraud. The cashier can look at your credit card and memorize the number. Then they look at the back of the credit card and get the 3 digit security code. Then if one lets the cashier look at their id, they give the cashier their name and billing address.

Now they have everything they need to do an online gift order to a foreign country using your information!!
In order to do such a thing a cashier would have to have a photographic memory. I handle credit cards all day long when people can't get them to work right. I don't pay attention to the number on the front or the security number. Well, I do sometimes have to put them in manually but I couldn't care less about memorizing them and immediately forget. When I look at a driver's license I don't look at the address. I'm looking at the birthdate and the picture and whether or not it's been tampered with at some point. I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of all cashiers couldn't care less what people's numbers, addresses, etc. are.

We never ask for ID with a credit card at my store. One of the reasons they used to do that was to compare signatures. And compare picture to customer. We don't even see their signatures anymore since it's on a card reader and not written out on paper so why bother?

Old 01-31-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are that paranoid you should use cash only.
Do you honestly believe that anyone can memorize the numbers on your credit card that quickly?
Unless they have a photographic memory it is highly unlikely that will ever happen.

I use my passport as my identification.
I should have read ahead. I said basically the same thing. I worry more about people stealing credit card offers from my mailbox and trying to get a card than I do showing my ID for a credit card. They would have to have my social security number to do that though so I really don't worry about that either.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I can memorize a credit card number in 10 seconds. Anyone can easily learn to do this if they read the memory books by Harry Lorayne or various other authors. I agree it is unlikely to happen at a checkout lane but it is very likely to happen at a restaurant where the waiter takes your card. He could write your credit card number down and then get your billing address when coming back to check your driver license.

That's a good idea. No home address on a passport.
You are a rare individual if you can do that. Most of us have short memories and don't care about memorizing CC numbers. A good argument for NOT giving your card to a server but taking it to the cashier yourself on the way out. I always do that.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:48 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,678,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Isn't that because they are looking at the photo?
The picture is 15 years old -- it doesn't look much like me anymore. :-) It has long hair, I have shorter hair, now, and different glasses, and weigh less. License renewal this year!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,191,408 times
They just ask to protect the store. I used to work retail and we had a specific amount at which we had to ask to see ID. Several times people would say they didn't have it on them so the purchase didn't happen. Maybe they stole the credit card? I don't know. But I never even actually checked to see if the name matched when they gave me their IDs. I would just glance at it for a second, eyes unfocused and uncaring, then hand it back to them and proceed with checkout.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:28 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,096,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
They just ask to protect the store. I used to work retail and we had a specific amount at which we had to ask to see ID. Several times people would say they didn't have it on them so the purchase didn't happen. Maybe they stole the credit card? I don't know. But I never even actually checked to see if the name matched when they gave me their IDs. I would just glance at it for a second, eyes unfocused and uncaring, then hand it back to them and proceed with checkout.
Well that would sound suspect to me because all adults should have their ID on them at all times. So now allowing them to purchase the item would make a lot of sense.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:45 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,783,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The picture is 15 years old -- it doesn't look much like me anymore. :-) It has long hair, I have shorter hair, now, and different glasses, and weigh less. License renewal this year!
15 years?!?! Good grief....in MN, license renewal occurs every 4 years.

Goodness, even a passport is every 10 years.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,085 posts, read 21,209,403 times
Quote:
But merchant agreements forbid them from doing so. It's an insult to the industry.
Quote:
But then merchants who are in contract with these credit card companies and are forbidden from asking for ID think they can just break the rules and do whatever they want.
Quote:
Often, they are not allowed to ask for ID. I don't understand why these clerks feel they can breach their contract.
There IS a difference between asking for ID and requiring it. Most of the time merchants are perfectly within their rights to ask for ID. You have the right to refuse to show it, and the sale should not be denied because of that reason. Please quit saying that they cannot legally ask to see your ID.

"All the networks allow a merchant to ask for identification. MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card."

Read more: Can retailers ask for ID with your credit card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products