Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:10 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

Whilst shopping at Trader Joe's this afternoon, I saw somebody who was clearly not blind (no pun intended) and not experiencing PTSD, with a "service dog", shopping in the store. Such behavior is not appropriate. I do not care if somebody is sad, angry, tense, or afflicted with any other low level mental anguish -- we all have our problems and there's nothing so special about any person, with the exception of people who are blind or have been in combat, that they cannot walk about and shop in a store without their "service dog" -- the vast majority of people I've seen with service dogs were neither blind nor experiencing PTSD, and have probably been nowhere near any sort of war in the first place.

So could you people who payed a little fee for the little vest your dog wears simply knock it off (figuratively)? Like the rest of us, deal with life without the cutsie little dog, shedding its dog hair around food products. It's really uncivilized and nobody likes you people when you think you need your dog everywhere because your significant other got sick of your stuff and walked out on you or whatever exactly the little problem happens to be -- the rest of us deal with our problems and don't need a little dog with us 24 hours a day. Especially not in a grocery store. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 11:19 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
There are a million and one issues more important than this, but I hope your rant made you feel better. :-)

Old 09-25-2015, 11:32 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
I agree. The concept of an "emotional support animal" is completely bogus. A lie.

Dog owners are a selfish brats. I see them violating the law all the time. In Santa Monica, dogs are supposed to be kept on leashes at all times, yet they violate this law. And the cops do nothing.

I see these selfish brats bring their dogs into Vons and Whole Foods and Starbucks. Usually these dogs are little "toy dogs," more a kind of rat-dog.

If you're so emotionally crippled that you need a little rat-dog with you at all times, then you belong in a straight jacket. People that emotionally/mentally crippled should not be let loose on the streets.

And if you're not that emotionally crippled, then the dog is a lie. You're just a selfish brat (usually a woman) who WANTS what she WANTS, and so you buy a bogus vest and badge, or get some therapist to lie for you.

Unfortunately, the dog owners lobby is powerful. They pressure legislators to pass laws allowing them to bring their rat-dogs onto planes and into stores.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:04 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
There are a million and one issues more important than this, but I hope your rant made you feel better. :-)
Yes, it actually did.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:41 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
The concept of an "emotional support animal" is completely bogus. A lie.
I see people bringing dogs into stores all the time, but never with a special vest. They are just their pets, I think. I happen to like dogs so it doesn't bother me.

However, I thought I'd chime in on the topic of emotional support animals. My dock neighbor was treated with Luperon for prostate cancer and gets horrible hot flashes as a result. His cat can sense from 5-6 feet away when he's having one and goes to him and cuddles up to him. He (my neighbor, not the cat) says it shortens the hot flashes significantly. I was kind of amazed, but apparently it works.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:55 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
In Seattle, dogs are treated with nearly equal rights as people. I'd rather a lovable dog be in a Trader Joes than an annoying, crying human brat child.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:04 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
^^^ Do bratty kids slobber and spread germs? You never know what's on a dog. Food and dogs are a bad combination.

But we live in a nation that suffers from a dog delusion. These days many dog owners have elevated the mangy/filthy beasts to be as important or more important than family members. As people have fewer kids and delay having kids to later in life, dogs are treated like the "new" kids. Pathetic.

The Dog Delusion – TheHumanist.com

Old 09-26-2015, 09:08 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
But we live in a nation that suffers from a dog delusion. These days many dog owners have elevated the mangy/filthy beasts to be as important or more important than family members. As people have fewer kids and delay having kids to later in life, dogs are treated like the "new" kids. Pathetic.

The Dog Delusion – TheHumanist.com
I read an article by a woman who began by referring to her cat as "my son."

She paused to tell readers not to bother with angry emails, or try to argue with her, repeating, "He is my son."

I like cats, as one can tell by my handle. But I would never consider a cat to be my son or daughter, or brother or sister.

I once actually saw a woman pushing a baby stroller -- with a dog inside. Looked like a perfectly healthy dog. One capable of walking. Just sitting in the stroller, smiling, going for a ride.

I've seen the oddest pet items for sale. I've seen doggie yarmulkes: Dog & Cat Yarmulke & Tallis

People really do believe their pets are people. They're not even called pets anymore. They're "animal companions." Or even "sons" and "daughters."

Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
^^^ Do bratty kids slobber and spread germs? You never know what's on a dog. Food and dogs are a bad combination.
I prefer that people not bring pets into the store, but in answer to your question: Yes. Even nice kids do. They cough and sneeze; they wipe their noses, they put their hands in their mouths - and they touch stuff. They touch the cart (even with their mouths), and they touch the merchandise. Also, parents bring sick children into the store.

I have never seen a dog touch the merchandise, and I've never seen an obviously sick dog in the store.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:30 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
In Seattle, dogs are treated with nearly equal rights as people. I'd rather a lovable dog be in a Trader Joes than an annoying, crying human brat child.
rotfl I completely agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products