Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 02:47 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Bacos

https://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to/...e-13bdbfa769c4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:20 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
my mom used to get during the holidays the Black out Cake from "Entenmanns" OMG that was the best cake,talk about chocolate,it was perfect not too sweet or rich,just right.. Been about 10 years now since they stopped making it.. only came out during the holidays,probably because it would melt any other time of the year..they dont make anything close to that anymore.
I never had that one. Now I feel deprived.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Beemans also discontinued their Blackjack gum flavor. Another once-popular product that seems to have disappeared, is Chip Steaks/Quik Steaks/Minute Steaks, by different companies. Made from thin wafers of beef, compressed into patties, they were frozen and separated by wax paper. They needed only 30 seconds of cooking on each side and were mostly eaten in sandwiches.
Steak-umm. They're still sold.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I can't help you with most of your list, but for the bolded:

Real sugar soft drinks - You can find imported from Mexico - Coca-Cola made with real sugar. I buy it all the time, even though I don't drink a lot of it. It tastes so much better than the kind made here in the US.

Maybe try Viva brand paper towels - the full size sheets, not the select a size. They are the only paper towels I like. They are thick and feel more like cloth than other brands.

Some farms, farm markets and health food stores will sell you unhomogenized milk. I've gotten it before, but for some reason, it doesn't taste as good as I remember from my grandmother's farm, even though it's definitely unhomogenized, with the cream on top.

Paper straws - do a google search - they are really making a comeback with the anti-plastic movement going on.
Boylan and other companies have been making soda with sugar for decades.

I don't use a lot of paper towels, so I have no idea how they compare. When I want a resilient paper product, I use a paper shop towel, cloths.

I haven't bought (real) milk* in a few years, but I know that Whole Foods sells it. Before that, I bought it from a farm. In the 1980s, I bought it from a health food store. The dairy was just 10 miles outside of town.

Adults use straws?

*I have purchased half and half and heavy cream.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Mince Pies, only a holiday thing. Mrs Smith used to make them but stopped. Found a local bakery that did, then they lost their lease :-(. Don't know what I'm going to do next Holiday season.

Some weird things, I live in NJ and go to BJ's or the grocery store and can buy Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg and Cheese Croissants. If you go down south, they have Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuits.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:52 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Mince Pies, only a holiday thing. Mrs Smith used to make them but stopped. Found a local bakery that did, then they lost their lease :-(. Don't know what I'm going to do next Holiday season.

Some weird things, I live in NJ and go to BJ's or the grocery store and can buy Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg and Cheese Croissants. If you go down south, they have Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuits.
You may have to go to NYC

Myers :: Mince Pies

Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Red licorice pipes
Barley sugar lollipops
Sabra babaganoush

Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post

Mincemeat was my Dad's favorite pie.

When my Mom made them she made the crust herself, after she died and Dad wanted a mincemeat pie, I bought the filling and frozen pie crusts..... assembled and baked.....that was as good as it was going to get and he ate them with no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...1qhhnaoq_b_p38

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/review...ht_pie_crusts/

Old 07-20-2018, 07:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Spinach and mozzarella Lean Pockets with the pretzel crust. Great for work lunches, but I can't find them anymore.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
<snippage>

Loreal Hair Fixer 6 applications by L'Oreal Paris

https://www.amazon.com/Loreal-Hair-F...ews/B000CPJPT0

<snippage>
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

My list:

Sarah Lee Chocolate Cake. It was frozen. It was in an aluminum tin with a waxed paper insert under the cardboard top. It was DELICIOUS.

Pepperidge farm hard crusty rolls. I still find them in restaurants from time to time but haven't seen them in the grocery store for decades.

Buttercream patties. I just called them buttercreams when I was a kid. Another thing I haven't seen in decades.

Lemon drops. I can hardly find them at all any more. I got something called Lemonheads awhile ago that turned out to NOT be lemon drops but some form of gumdrop. Yuck!

Individual flavors of Life Savers. I hardly ever see them any more, and haven't seen butterscotch or even butter rum in (again) decades.

Vivid all-color bleach. I still have no idea why they discontinued it but I used it for 30 years before it disappeared.

Chocolate Tofutti. I guess they still make them but I haven't seen them in any grocery store I frequent for over 25 years. (This was an ice-cream-like product made from soy)

Sugar Pops. Honestly the chances I would actually eat this at this stage of my life are about nil, but still ...

GOOD chocolate drops - the ones that are sort of conical with a milk chocolate shell over a white sugary interior. I can still find cheap ones around Xmas time but not the good ones I used to get at the 5 and dime, dished out from the glass case into a white paper bag.

APPLE Newtons. You can keep the fig, strawberry, and whatever else. I WANT THE APPLE NEWTONS!

I know there's a lot of sweets on this list yet as an adult I hardly ever actually eat sweets any more. Perhaps, now that I think of it, because all the ones I really liked are gone now, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products