Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 02:33 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times

Advertisements

You know what I miss? Quality produce in your average supermarket. You can find the same brand of blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries (Driscoll's) in Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Walmart (I'm from NC) but they're all small and near past-ripe.

Also, I've never seen so many fruits go from under-ripe to spoiled with virtually no time at all in a stage they'd be edible. Whole Foods, through higher prices, and higher margins, has the best picks on lock down. Berries and grapes are commonly twice the size, and perfectly ripe on display. Whole Foods starves the supply to other supermarkets, but it's legal, because they're paying customers.

Smaller, regional chains, names I've mentioned prior, try to cater to more customers by offering organic produce. This often fails when the typical customer shops at ho-hum chains to get ho-hum prices. No one is going to pay $2.99 for an organic zucchini at Harris Teeter. They'll shop GMO, or go to Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 02:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Walmart Supercenters, on average, carry 142,000 unique items per location. Costco, only 4000.

https://corporate.walmart.com/_news_...tail-divisions
https://www.neatorama.com/2013/09/09...-About-Costco/

That is a irrelevant comparison.

Walmart stores carry general merchandise. Most supermarkets don't carry near as much.

If you compare food items to food items, Walmart Super Centers (as well as their Neighborhood markets) carry FEWER food SKUs than a regular supermarket. It has been Walmart's corporate philosophy to carry ONLY the Great Value brand and the leading national brand wherever possible. Then they squeeze the national brands to determine which one wants to be the leading brand.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:26 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I'm confused. Why this link?
The perso he was respond to wanted truffles the poster found them and posted where.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:56 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is a irrelevant comparison.

Walmart stores carry general merchandise. Most supermarkets don't carry near as much.

If you compare food items to food items, Walmart Super Centers (as well as their Neighborhood markets) carry FEWER food SKUs than a regular supermarket. It has been Walmart's corporate philosophy to carry ONLY the Great Value brand and the leading national brand wherever possible. Then they squeeze the national brands to determine which one wants to be the leading brand.
It's only irrelevant for the point YOU were trying to make. I'm not comparing only food items. I'm comparing product selection (ultimately boiling down to brand selection) as both chains sell both food items and a great deal of non-food items. I honestly don't know why you decided to specifically focus on food items at these stores that sell so much more.

The average shopper doesn't know the negotiations occurring between suppliers and retailers. They know what they see on the shelf, and soon enough, whether or not the merchant has the item the customer has written on their shopping list.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:48 PM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Trying to recall the name of a candy I miss, I located a store that sells classic candy:

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...tegory/candies

Has anyone here ordered from them?
I have been to the Vermont Country Store a couple of times. It`s a pretty neat place. I think ordering from them is legit, good products

Old 07-22-2018, 06:38 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I have been to the Vermont Country Store a couple of times. It`s a pretty neat place. I think ordering from them is legit, good products
Thanks, I actually posted the link to Vermont Country Store for others. I don't (at least not yet) shop online at all. Some day I will make a trip to Vermont and shop in person.

In the meantime, I located the fruit chews online. The name is Starburst chews, and apparently they are still sold locally. I rarely eat candy other than very dark chocolate shaved into a serving of yogurt.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Never ordered from this company but before I did, I'd make sure it wasn't available elsewhere. The prices are incredibly steep.

I have seen Necco wafers, Goetze's Caramel Creams, Mary Janes, all at the Dollar Tree for far less than the Vermont website. And I only checked the first page!

My experience with on-line retro candy sellers is that they are all costly so it would have to be a really nostalgic item for me to order it. Of course, you may feel that whatever it cost, it would be worth it to have that "moment" back.
Cracker Barrel Restaurant store sells a lot of nostalgic candies, Charles [potato] Chips, et cetera. If you have one near you, I'd check there. The last time there, swear I saw those pink wintergreen candies. I used to like them too.

Last edited by cat1116; 07-22-2018 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Thanks, I actually posted the link to Vermont Country Store for others. I don't (at least not yet) shop online at all. Some day I will make a trip to Vermont and shop in person.

In the meantime, I located the fruit chews online. The name is Starburst chews, and apparently they are still sold locally. I rarely eat candy other than very dark chocolate shaved into a serving of yogurt.
Starbursts are still a very popular candy, they are sold in every supermarket and drugstore I've been in. You can get individual "rolls" (they are actually square of course, like the candy shape) or big bags of the individually wrapped chews.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Has anyone recently seen Tyson Tequila Lime chicken? We used to be able to get it at Sam's Club. I've been checking every time we go there - no luck. I think it's been over a good 2 months now.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:04 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Has anyone recently seen Tyson Tequila Lime chicken? We used to be able to get it at Sam's Club. I've been checking every time we go there - no luck. I think it's been over a good 2 months now.
Have you asked a manager? I shop at Costco but I think they are probably similar where they switch things in and out, but if enough people ask for a particular item, they may go back to stocking it.

You could also check at your local non-Sam's Club Walmart to see if they have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products