Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 07:07 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
It's only irrelevant for the point YOU were trying to make. I'm not comparing only food items. I'm comparing product selection (ultimately boiling down to brand selection) as both chains sell both food items and a great deal of non-food items. I honestly don't know why you decided to specifically focus on food items at these stores that sell so much more.

The average shopper doesn't know the negotiations occurring between suppliers and retailers. They know what they see on the shelf, and soon enough, whether or not the merchant has the item the customer has written on their shopping list.
I've questioned Walmart's past products that I've looked for and couldn't find. The store reps are famous for saying " we get what they give us".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:25 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,530,130 times
[quote=emm74;52575129]Have you asked a manager? I shop at Costco but I think they are probably similar where they switch things in and out, but if enough people ask for a particular item, they may go back to stocking it.

You could also check at your local non-Sam's Club Walmart to see if they have it.[/QUOTE

Yes, I've checked at both Sam's and Walmart. Store reps don't tell me much. I've even tried putting notes to the feedback. Sent emails to Tysons even. Only mentioning to me that they, Costco or Walmart would have to request it, but when I ask the store reps in the Customer Service desks, they respond it's what the company delivers to them. I'll keep trying though. Maybe I'll wear them down eventually. I forgot who, but one of the responses was something to the effect that they quit delivering that item in my regional area. So somewhere out west might be getting them now.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:20 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,501,669 times
Good Humor Toasted Almond Ice Cream bars.

Nestle Chocolate candy bar in the red and white wrapper. Melt in your mouth, creamy, and better tasting than a Hershey bar.

Spaghetti dinner in box, I forget the brand. Red box. Came with the uncooked spaghetti noodles and canned sauce, was really delicious.

Post Great Grains Blueberry Morning cereal.

Pepperidge Farm Blueberry Turnovers.

Swanson's Chicken and Noodles TV Dinner.

Sara Lee Sun Dried Tomato Bagels.

Spiced Apple Rings. Thanksgiving or Christmas treat. Found online only, terribly expensive, add shipping and they are out of their minds what it ends up costing. I cannot justify the cost for just 2 jars, and I usually don't care about price when it comes to my granddaughter. But this product......no can do.

Kraft Fudgies (chocolate carmels). Found online only but in small bags, very pricey. I did order them several years ago, actually used a few as a small, unexpected Christmas gift. My desire for them was sated once I bought them and paid the price I had to to get them.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 07-22-2018 at 09:43 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 09:25 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
When someone mentioned Brach's it reminded me of the cinnamon disks and the ice blue mint candies. I do see them on the oldtimecandy site but I am wondering if they would truly be the same. The disks say Brach's but the ice candies don't, and they look different. Might be worth a try, though.

I loved Nabisco Bacon Thins and was SO sad when they disappeared. They were fabulous with cream cheese.

Sara Lee (I'm pretty sure) had a caramel nut roll that was rectangular in shape and after you baked it you turned it upside down onto the plate, but I don't recall it being called "upside down cake". I think it was sort of divided into squares that you could then cut through. I was thinking pecans (walnut?)--whatever, it was SO good. I've tried SL's pecan coffee cake but it doesn't come close to the caramel richness. Last I remember having those was probably 70s and *maybe* early 80s.

I can think of several go-to products which are still around but have been "improved" , are gone altogether, or the varieties I liked best have been discontinued.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,501,669 times
Heaven forbid we try a new flavor, scent, color or improved version of a product now-a-days. I have found some that I really liked only to have them discontinued without notice. I no longer play that game.......I don't bother with anything new, I stick with what I like that has been around for a long time.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:46 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I've been thinking about products that I used to buy a lot, but can't find anymore, but sure wish I could. So I thought I'd start a thread for it.

Here is my big one. Plastic strip, patch, and spot Band-Aids. My mother used to always buy them when I was a kid, and I used them through most of my adult life. These Band-Aids were perfect. They were plastic, waterproof, every size and shape you could need, they stayed on better than any other bandages, they felt good, and they were cheap. They were a perfect set of bandages. They even threw in a tin storage box for them. You couldn't ask for more. But no more. Now you have to choose between fabric, sheer, clear, or designer Band-Aids, all of which are junk, and good luck finding any shape other than a strip. Why can't they just make good old fashioned basic, plastic strip, patch, and spot Band-Aids sets in a tin box anymore?

Does anybody else have products they really miss?

It is available in other countries. (Asia/Europe)

https://www.amazon.in/Band-Aid-Varie.../dp/B0010WSJX2

Old 07-23-2018, 04:47 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Same with nail clippers. I have wide nail beds so I use the larger clippers for everything. I have a pair of Revlon that are going on 20 years old (no rust) that cut better than the drug store junk they're pushing today. Only thing I've seen work is a pair of titanium dual-ended ones but they're a little awkward to squeeze being so thick.

https://www.amazon.com/Revlon-Titani.../dp/B00S1EP9Z8

Cheaper on Amazon, but $13 in a CVS, Rite-Aid, or Walgreens.
Speaking of nail care, I can’t find the straight metal nail file with the rounded end with a hole in it.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:30 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
It is available in other countries. (Asia/Europe)

https://www.amazon.in/Band-Aid-Varie.../dp/B0010WSJX2
Thanks but those are not plastic, and the size verity is not good. I can buy those anywhere. I did find this Curad bandage pack that is a pretty good imitation of what the old Band-Aid pack used to be. I ordered a box, and got it a couple days ago. Unfortunately I tested out one of the bandages and the adhesive on these bandages is not good. Almost as soon as I put it on, it started peeling off. Other then that they would be perfect.

I think you did have the right idea looking in other countries though. As a matter of fact, the advice I would give to a lot of people here who are trying to find recently discontinued products, is to go online and look overseas. Many products continue to be sold overseas for years after they are discontinued in the US. That gives you a last chance to stock up on the item. Also eBay makes it cheap and easy to buy from overseas. I posted here a while ago about ordering an American brand tool set from overseas. The tool set was discontinued in the US four years ago, but still selling overseas. I had some problems ordering it, and the shipping cost was high, but I still think it was worth it.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:39 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
I do wish we could go back to some of the packaging of the old days -less plastic and more usable/recyclable packaging like glass and tins. Remember those Sucrets tins? They were so handy, everyone loved them. And everyone's garage had metal coffee cans and glass baby food bottles full of stuff workshop stuff.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:58 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
I miss Future Acrylic Floor Finish by Johnson. That mirror-like shine lasted several weeks. The product Pledge puts out is garbage.

I also miss the real toys they used to put into Cracker Jacks boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products