Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 06:39 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times

Advertisements

I have to ask what the deal is with Macy's?

I ordered a set of sheets from them mid-April, for $37.50 on sale.

The week after I got them, I get an email from Macy's about a 30% off sale. I check out the sheets because I liked them. They are now retail $90 marked down to $60

The next week they were having another sale but not on sheets. The sheets now show retail $150

Today, retail $150, deal of the day sale $52.50

Is this normal for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 06:55 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The Company Store had the sheets I was looking for but after 5 months of continued delays I cancelled my order. They were cotton percale and I was getting two fitted twin XL and a king flat for our split king. Perhaps they have resolved their shipping issues.
Unfortunately, when Home Depot bought company store a few years ago, their quality seems to have gone down hill. We used to outfit quite a few rooms with them.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:56 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I have to ask what the deal is with Macy's?

I ordered a set of sheets from them mid-April, for $37.50 on sale.

The week after I got them, I get an email from Macy's about a 30% off sale. I check out the sheets because I liked them. They are now retail $90 marked down to $60

The next week they were having another sale but not on sheets. The sheets now show retail $150

Today, retail $150, deal of the day sale $52.50

Is this normal for them?
Not sure if this applies, but I worked in retail in the 70's in SoCal, and the kind of thing you describe was normal until the state put a stop to it. In the chain for which I worked, they would have "permanent" sales but changing the details to something like you described. Anyway, the rule was something like clearance items had to be at the "before" price for at least a month before being marked down, and it it was a "sale" (temporary) price, the item had to be sold for a certain amount of time at the "regular" (before) price before being put on sale again.

I don't know if a rule like that still applies, but for many retail chains, I am convinced that sales are actually the "right" price with the before price inflated to make it seem that customers are getting a deal.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:37 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Not sure if this applies, but I worked in retail in the 70's in SoCal, and the kind of thing you describe was normal until the state put a stop to it. In the chain for which I worked, they would have "permanent" sales but changing the details to something like you described. Anyway, the rule was something like clearance items had to be at the "before" price for at least a month before being marked down, and it it was a "sale" (temporary) price, the item had to be sold for a certain amount of time at the "regular" (before) price before being put on sale again.

I don't know if a rule like that still applies, but for many retail chains, I am convinced that sales are actually the "right" price with the before price inflated to make it seem that customers are getting a deal.
I felt that with the $90 marked down to $60 week but listing them at $150 is just crazy! Hopefully I catch them at under $50 again.

I just noticed they ship direct from vendor so I wonder if that makes a difference. Does that mean Macy's does what Amazon and Walmart do these day? Allow third party vendors to sell through their sites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products