Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 01:49 PM

639 posts, read 377,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thanks! The server told me it was 6 ounces. Of course I didn't have a scale, but it looked real small to me. If I had a scale, I doubt it would have weighed 6 ounces.
It's a pre cooked weight. 6 ounces isn't going to weigh 6 ounces after cooking.

That's a normal size portion for a non very common fish (cod, trout, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 09:30 AM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Shrinking quality not just portions.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:16 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
It's not very often that I'm completely happy with a restaurant experience. So much so that we very rarely bother with sit-down places... especially a chain place.

Yesterday we visited Texas Roadhouse for the first time. Excellent service, fair portions, everything cooked properly and delicious.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:29 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,807,833 times
The portions were often ridiculously large to begin with. I'm more concerned with quality... and it seems that there's plenty of chefs still focused on quality.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:52 PM

6,098 posts, read 2,719,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
It's not very often that I'm completely happy with a restaurant experience. So much so that we very rarely bother with sit-down places... especially a chain place.

Yesterday we visited Texas Roadhouse for the first time. Excellent service, fair portions, everything cooked properly and delicious.
I visited Long Horn the other week worst food ever they pretty much emptied the salt shaker and dumped a ton of salt and seasonings on all the food. Texas Roadhouse from now on it is.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The portions were often ridiculously large to begin with. I'm more concerned with quality... and it seems that there's plenty of chefs still focused on quality.
To whom. It's silly to think everyone, of all ages and weights, eats the same amount of food. What's too much to one is not enough to another.

I'll say this. When I was 20's I went to Red Lobster with my gf and we were poor at the time and for us that was an expensive outing so when the plates came and the portions were skimpy, I was not happy. I figure if I'm paying a lot of money I'd darn sure better not be walking away still hungry and I'm not ordering two meals. I've never been back and I'm over age 60.

Maybe menu items need to have a small, medium, and large option with some general guidance like "small - typically for those under 140#" or "large - typically for those over 220#".

Old 04-17-2023, 10:34 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe menu items need to have a small, medium, and large option with some general guidance like "small - typically for those under 140#" or "large - typically for those over 220#".
That would be a good option but not categorized by patrons weight.
What I saw in some other places was something like: kids portions, small hunger, regular portions.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:23 AM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
To whom. It's silly to think everyone, of all ages and weights, eats the same amount of food. What's too much to one is not enough to another.

I'll say this. When I was 20's I went to Red Lobster with my gf and we were poor at the time and for us that was an expensive outing so when the plates came and the portions were skimpy, I was not happy. I figure if I'm paying a lot of money I'd darn sure better not be walking away still hungry and I'm not ordering two meals. I've never been back and I'm over age 60.

Even my light eating friends like large portions. They take the leftovers home.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:15 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Who doesn't take their leftovers home? They can give huge portions as far as I'm concerned. With some places, I can eat for 3 days on what's left.

The only problem comes in if you are traveling. However, we just do picnics from home or fast food for that.

If you eat out at a fancy or "gourmet" restaurant near your home, be prepared to pay a high price for the experience.
Gave that up during covid and haven't looked back.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:29 AM

1,400 posts, read 764,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm noticing shrinking portions at restaurants lately....for instance...

I ordered a Sea Bass dish for $42 that came with 2 sides.

The $42 price for Sea Bass seemed in line to me (for non-coastal FLA), but the Sea Bass portion seemed small.

I'd like to see what others feel is the acceptable portion range for a Sea Bass dish, measured in ounces.

The server tld me its all pre-weighed, & she told e the weight, so I know what the weight of the fish they served me.
Oh you are an innocent soul...I'm have little confidence that the server would have told you the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products