Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 07:33 AM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times

Advertisements

I notice it in general as well...smaller food portions, yet same or higher prices!

Entree-size salads are up to $20 these days at some places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 12:01 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm noticing shrinking portions at restaurants lately....for instance...

I ordered a Sea Bass dish for $42 that came with 2 sides.

The $42 price for Sea Bass seemed in line to me (for non-coastal FLA), but the Sea Bass portion seemed small.

I'd like to see what others feel is the acceptable portion range for a Sea Bass dish, measured in ounces.

The server tld me its all pre-weighed, & she told e the weight, so I know what the weight of the fish they served me.
Have you purchased sea bass at the market recently? It’s outrageously expensive to buy and cook yourself. I bought some last month because I really do love it. It was like $29 a lb.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:52 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,381,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I notice it in general as well...smaller food portions, yet same or higher prices!

Entree-size salads are up to $20 these days at some places!
Yep. I go to a very humble establishment locally -- really a run down sports bar but they have always had good and reasonable food. My "go to" is a Greek Salad with 8 blackened grilled shrimp -- now up to $18. The taco salad shrunk in size and is now $16. It is kind of shocking.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:54 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
With precious few exceptions--and you need to ask the restaurant if they are aware of the source of their sea bass--the correct portion size for sea bass would be 0 ounces and the correct price for a plate of sea bass would be $0. Most of it should be illegal as most species are threatened all the way up to critically endangered, depending on the species, and almost none of it is caught in an environmentally safe or sustainable way.

If your restaurant can't tell you the source, or the source is not green on the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch list, order something else next time.

https://www.seafoodwatch.org/recomme...cies%3BSeabass

Regardless, it's about time portion sizes shrunk. Americans have been eating outsized portions of everything since the 1980s and have the obesity to show for it.
Most Chilean sea bass sold in grocery stores now is farmed.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Have you purchased sea bass at the market recently? It’s outrageously expensive to buy and cook yourself. I bought some last month because I really do love it. It was like $29 a lb.
Whole Foods has it on sale from time to time for around $27-$28/lb. But who buys a whole pound,unless they're feeding a family? Enough for dinner for two would be a half pound: 4 oz per person, or 5,which would be 10 oz. For a special dinner item now and than, that's not too bad. People spend more on lamb chops.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I cannot comment on what is an acceptable portion, but $42 for one plate of food?!?!?!
That's very common in finer dining venues.

Old 04-24-2023, 03:27 PM

639 posts, read 379,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
To whom. It's silly to think everyone, of all ages and weights, eats the same amount of food. What's too much to one is not enough to another.

I'll say this. When I was 20's I went to Red Lobster with my gf and we were poor at the time and for us that was an expensive outing so when the plates came and the portions were skimpy, I was not happy. I figure if I'm paying a lot of money I'd darn sure better not be walking away still hungry and I'm not ordering two meals. I've never been back and I'm over age 60.

Maybe menu items need to have a small, medium, and large option with some general guidance like "small - typically for those under 140#" or "large - typically for those over 220#".
The calories and nutritional needs don't vary from adult to adult so much, unless one is an extreme athlete.

And in your scenario, the person 220# plus is the person really in need of the small portion.

Old 04-24-2023, 03:33 PM

639 posts, read 379,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Almost none of it is. They're not even close to making it commercially viable. They're so slow growing it is questionable they ever will.

Less than 10% is even considered sustainably harvested and that label is questionable.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:47 PM

1,065 posts, read 472,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sea bass, yes... Chilean sea bass (patagonian toothfish) is not farmed. Only recently (2020) has a team of researchers been able to breed them in captivity... and it's definitely not cost effective for mass production at this point... and it's unlikely it will ever be.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:01 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I paid $42 for halibut -- about 8 oz. no sides. It was delicious and I was satisfied with the portion size. In my area, fine dining restaurants charge additional for salads and sides. Halibut about $30/lb in the supermarket. Chilean Sea Bass is also about $30/lb.
Yes, we went out to eat about a month ago and my DIL ordered Halibut, it was $47.00 as we live in the South Central part of the US, and we were at that time shocked....she felt badly b/c it was a special and she didn't ask the price...but hey, it is what it is.

We don't get much seafood in this area...however once every few months a truck comes up from the Gulf and sits in a parking lot and they sell out....

Best we can do here is Cod....and shrimp...frozen lobsters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products