Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 09:00 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I expect about 8 oz portions of good fish in a fine dining setting. If it's fried fish and chips, I'm expecting more than that.
Thx for your post, and I agree..8 ounces would be my expectation too. She said they serve pre-weighed 6 ounce portions, but I'm guessing mine was less than 6 ounces...maybe 5. I'd estimate it to be 6 bites in all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 10:32 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
I thought four ounces was considered a serving. That's what I have at home when I cut up the halibut. I find restaurant portions to be more than one needs. Need and want not being the same.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:47 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
downsizing is a major reason I avoid Sysco supplied, Landry's chain type restaurants....as soon as Landry's bought Mortons many years ago the steak fries were downsized to shoestring fries...cost cutting, with the accountants probably deciding they could make an extra 42 cents a plate by doing so.

Recently, a local Miami Italian restaurant started charging $4 for a basket of bread/focacccia whereas prior it was free.

Welcome to the USA....for perspective, I just got back from Sao Paulo where D.O.M., a 2 star Michelin restaurant, offers a multi course Executive Lunch special for $20 US !!! (their multicourse dinner starts at $140 US)--not sure how they are making money on that lunch deal but I'm glad they don't follow the US cost first model.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:54 AM

595 posts, read 265,320 times
With precious few exceptions--and you need to ask the restaurant if they are aware of the source of their sea bass--the correct portion size for sea bass would be 0 ounces and the correct price for a plate of sea bass would be $0. Most of it should be illegal as most species are threatened all the way up to critically endangered, depending on the species, and almost none of it is caught in an environmentally safe or sustainable way.

If your restaurant can't tell you the source, or the source is not green on the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch list, order something else next time.

https://www.seafoodwatch.org/recomme...cies%3BSeabass

Regardless, it's about time portion sizes shrunk. Americans have been eating outsized portions of everything since the 1980s and have the obesity to show for it.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:59 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
downsizing is a major reason I avoid Sysco supplied, Landry's chain type restaurants....as soon as Landry's bought Mortons many years ago the steak fries were downsized to shoestring fries...cost cutting, with the accountants probably deciding they could make an extra 42 cents a plate by doing so.

Recently, a local Miami Italian restaurant started charging $4 for a basket of bread/focacccia whereas prior it was free.

Welcome to the USA....for perspective, I just got back from Sao Paulo where D.O.M., a 2 star Michelin restaurant, offers a multi course Executive Lunch special for $20 US !!! (their multicourse dinner starts at $140 US)--not sure how they are making money on that lunch deal but I'm glad they don't follow the US cost first model.
In the US, restaurants have fixed costs that are priced into the cost of the meal . . . salaries, payroll taxes, workers comp., real estate rent, utilities, insurance, etc. not to mention local taxes and license fees for serving alcohol.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:12 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
With precious few exceptions--and you need to ask the restaurant if they are aware of the source of their sea bass--the correct portion size for sea bass would be 0 ounces and the correct price for a plate of sea bass would be $0. Most of it should be illegal as most species are threatened all the way up to critically endangered, depending on the species, and almost none of it is caught in an environmentally safe or sustainable way.

If your restaurant can't tell you the source, or the source is not green on the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch list, order something else next time.

https://www.seafoodwatch.org/recomme...cies%3BSeabass

Regardless, it's about time portion sizes shrunk. Americans have been eating outsized portions of everything since the 1980s and have the obesity to show for it.
Yes, & also Sea bass is not often genuine sea bass. No way would I order it out. I read that it one of the top fish dishes, not to be as stated.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:51 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
In the US, restaurants have fixed costs that are priced into the cost of the meal . . . salaries, payroll taxes, workers comp., real estate rent, utilities, insurance, etc. not to mention local taxes and license fees for serving alcohol.
Though some are pretending otherwise.
My husband ate at a restaurant in touristy Sedona, AZ that added a 15% "kitchen fee" onto the bill. Not a suggested tip, but part of the bill.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:56 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I cannot comment on what is an acceptable portion, but $42 for one plate of food?!?!?!
If you are shocked, you must not have eaten at a mid to upscale restaurant lately. Yeah, it's crazy, and why we eat at home 99.9% of the time.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If you are shocked, you must not have eaten at a mid to upscale restaurant lately. Yeah, it's crazy, and why we eat at home 99.9% of the time.
Even our favorite burger joint, a sports bar, charges $17.99 for my favorite burger with fries, another $5 for a small salad, and with a pint of beer it's over $30, before tax and tip. At our favorite "upscale" restaurant a nice seafood dinner like wild caught Salmon is $29, while a New York Steak is $38, salads $8-22.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:07 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Shrinking portions could be a good thing. Finally, no more enormous plates!
As to the price? We don't know what size it was - you should take a picture. But like with everything else - if customers are willing to pay, restaurants aren't going to lower their prices.

I agree - would love to see smaller portions at restaurants so there is less waste.

I consider a good portion of protein to be 4 oz. A generous portion is 6 oz. Anything larger than that is too large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products